АНГЛІЙСЬКА МОВА
1500 ТЕМ

УКРАЇНА ТА УКРАЇНЦІ

 

ANDRIYIVSKY DESCENT

 

The best way to get to Andriyivsky Descent, one of the most popular streets in Kiev, is from the Poshtova Ploshcha Metro. Not far from there you will find Desyatinna Street, named for the Desyatinna Tserkva or Church of the Holy Virgin (898) that once stood at the end of this street. This church was the first stone church of Kievan Rus.

Looking to the right past the site of Desyatinna Tserkva, you'll see the Historical Museum located on the Desyat- inka bluff, the most picturesque place of Kiev. The museum's extensive exhibits consist of eight sections dealing with various aspects of Ukraine's history from prehistoric times to the present. The museum has rich collections of archeological and ethnographical findings, ancient coins, works of art, and old books. Behind the museum there is a path that provides a good view of Podil, Kiev's lower town from the highest point of Old Kiev.

Not far from the Historical Museum starts Andiyivsky Uzviz. This is one of Kiev's oldest streets. In ancient times the street linked the administrative part of the Upper City with Podil, the Lower City of merchants and artisans. This steep, winding stone street is a traditional place for art festivals and concerts, Kiev's days, and has a variety of interesting art galleries and souvenir shops. It is at the heart of Kiev's artist community and is a favourite stop for tourists and one of the best areas in Kiev to find traditional Ukrainian crafts and art.

Elegantly outlined against Kiev's skyline at the top of Andriyivsky Uzviz stands St Andrew's Cathedral. Designed in 1754 by the Italian architect Bartolomeo Rastrelly, it is one of the few buildings to have survived intact with no reconstruction or significant damage. The single-domed cathedral, with its five lesser cupolas, seems to hover over the city. Its site was chosen because it was here that the Apostle Andrew, who first preached the Gospel in Kievan-Rus, erected a cross. The church was built at the behest of Elizabeth, Peter the Great's pious daughter, who visited Kiev in 1744. There is a picturesque path-way around the Cathedral.

No 13 Andriyivsky Uzviz is the old Bulgakov family home. Mikhail Bulgakov, the renowned Russian writer, lived here from 1906 to 1916 and, again in 1918—1919. The house is now the Bulgakov Museum, containing the writer's personal effects and family photos.

When you reach the bottom of the hill, turnleft and you'll be at the start of Kontraktova Ploshcha (Contract Square) in Podil, Kiev's historic Lower City.

 

QUESTIONS

1.    How can you get to Andriyivsky Descent?

2.    What streets are there near Andriyivsky Descent?

3.    What is the Historical Museum famous for?

4.    Where can we find traditional Ukrainian crafts and art?

5.    Who designed St Andrew's Cathedral?

6.    Who lived in the house No 13 Andriyivsky Uzviz?

 

VOCABULARY

bluff — стрімкий берег, гора

extensive — великий

view — вид

artisan — ремісник

pious — набожний, благочестивий

 

АНДРІЇВСЬКИЙ У3BІ3

 

Щоб дістатися до Андріївського узвозу, однієї з найбільш популярних київських вулиць, краще вийти на станції метро «Поштова площа». Недалеко ви знайдете Десятинну вулицю, назва якої походить від імені церкви Богородиці (898 p.), відомої також як Десятинна. Вона стояла колись у кінці цієї короткої вулиці й була першою кам'яною церквою Київської Русі.

Подивіться праворуч від Десятинної церкви, і ви побачите Історичний музей, розташований у мальовничому місці Києва, на високій горі Десятинці. Велика експозиція музею, яка складається з восьми відділів, оповідає про різні аспекти історії України від найдавніших часів і до наших днів. У колекції Історичного музею безліч унікальних археологічних й етнографічних знахідок, давніх монет, творів мистецтва і стародавніх книг. За музеєм знаходиться оглядова алея, звідкіля відкривається гарний вид на Поділ, Київське Нижнє місто, з найвищої точки старого Києва.

Недалеко від Історичного музею починається Андріївський узвіз — одна з найдавніших київських вулиць. У давні часи ця вулиця з'єднувала адміністративну частину Верхнього міста з Подолом, Нижнім містом купців і ремісників. Ця крута звивиста вулиця з каменю — традиційне місце проведення концертів, фестивалів мистецтв, Днів Києва. На ній розташовано безліч цікавих картинних галерей і магазинів сувенірів. Це улюблене місце туристів; тут часто збирається київська богема. Це також одне з кращих місць у Києві, що славиться традиційними українськими ремеслами і мистецтвом.

Своїми витонченими обрисами чітко виділяючись на тлі небосхилу, на початку Андріївського узвозу стоїть Андріївська церква. Споруджена у 1754 р. за проектом італійського архітектора Бартоломео Растреллі, ця церква є однією з небагатьох старих київських будівель, що дійшли до нас у первозданному вигляді. Ця церква з одним великим і п'ятьма маленькими куполами, здається, ніби витає в повітрі. Храм побудований на місці, де, за переказом, спорудив хрест апостол Андрій, який проповідував у Київській Русі. Церква була закладена в 1744 р. в ознаменування приїзду в Київ імператриці Єлизавети Петрівни. Навколо церкви є мальовнича алея.

Будинок № 13 на Андріївському увозі — старий родовий дім Булгакова. Михайло Булгаков, відомий російський письменник, жив тут з 1906 р. по 1916 р. і знову в 1918—1919 pp. Будинок зараз — Булгаковський музей, що складається з особистих речей письменника і сімейних фотографій.

Коли ви дістанетесь до підніжжя холма, поверніть ліворуч, і ви опинитесь на початку Контрактової площі в Подолі, історичному Нижньому місті.


Відвідайте наш новий сайт - Матеріали для Нової української школи - планування, розробки уроків, дидактичні та методичні матеріали, підручники та зошити