The United Kingdom of Grteat Britain and Northern Ireland
New words and word-combinations to be remembered:
to surround оточувати
to influence впливати
to vary змінюватись
due (to), thanks (to) дякуючи
low temperature низька температура
to freeze замерзати
to hinder шкодити
The British Isles are surrounded by the ocean which influences the climate of the country. It is mild thanks to the warm water of Gulf Stream. Western districts have a high rainfall because of winds and the mountains and eastern parts of the country are much drier. Strong frosts are rare. Due to the Gulf Stream the January temperature is higher and the July temperature is lower than in any other country of the same latitude. The average temperature in winter is about 5 degrees above zero and 15-17 degrees in summer. The rivers are not frozen throughout the year. The mild and damp climate of the British Isles is very good for agriculture, especially for vegetables-farming, sheep and cattle-farming, but the lack of sunshine hinders the cultivation of grain crops.
Answer the following questions:
1. What is the climate of Great Britain?
2. What influences the climate of the country?
3. What is the average temperature in winter and in summer?
4. Are the rivers frozen in winter?
5. Why do western districts have a high rainfall?
6. What hinders the cultivation of grain crops?