I. Make up sentences:
is devoted to
is connected with
news from abroad
events in France
the problem is very urgent
It should be
pointed out that
the visit was a success
the newspaper is very interesting
the election has already taken place
prices will rise by describing the situation
that the problem
goes on to say
comes to the conclusion
hasn’t been solved
about events in Africa
that the situation is under control
the importance of current policy
the necessity of market relations
the crisis in Europe about
the ways out that the problem is too serious
II. How to start rendering an article:
The article is headlined «War in (he Gulf».
The title of the article is «Winners and Losers».
The headline of the article is «Price Rise in London».
The piece of news is headlined «No problems».
The author of the article is Mr. Goodwill.
The article is written by our special correspondent.
The author is not pointed out.
IІІ. Ask the questions to have the following answers:
1. I prefer to read Ukrainian newspapers.
2. Yes, my favourite newspapers in English are «News from Ukraine» and «Moscow News».
3. He subscribes to 4 newspapers.
4. He watches TV at weekends.
IV. Answer the following questions:
1. What are your favourite newspapers, magazines, radio and TV programmes?
2. What do the newspapers inform the readers of?
3. What is the circulation of our newspapers and magazines?
4. What newspapers and magazines have you subscribed to this year?
5. What events and reports do you closely follow in newspapers?
6. Why do you like to read magazines?
7. What newspapers and magazines inform the readers of the life of youth?
8. Do you read any scientific journals?
9. In what languages is newspaper «Moscow News» printed?
10. What kind of English periodicals did/do you read?
11. What radio programmes do you prefer to listen to?
12. Do you watch TV every day?
13. Do you like to see TV News Programmes?
14. What other telecasts do you like watching?
15. What TV programmes are the most popular with the young people in our country?
16. What is your favourite TV programme?
17. How often does this programme come out?
18. What is this programme devoted to?
19. What is much attention given to in this programme?
20. What would you like to add or to change in this programme?
21. Where do you get latest news from?
22. Who is your favourite author, analyst, presenter (ведучий)?