Answer the following questions:
1. What do you say when you are introduced to someone? What is the reply?
2. Can you introduce your friend to me? Introduce him (her) to me, please.
3. Do you use the same expressions when meeting friends and when parting with them? Say what kind of polite expressions you use under such circumstances. What is the reply?
4. What do you say if you want to know about your friend’s health?
5. What replies might you get to these inquiries?
6. What greetings are used at any time of the day?
7. What does the expression «Going from bad to worse» mean?
8. What is the formula which may be used alternatively with «How do you do?» by people who have been introduced to each other?
(based on the topic «My Family»).
Fill in the missing words:
1. I was born______________ .
2. We are a family of_____________ .
3. We are happy to be living together and _____ all right.
4. My father is a very____ person.
5. My father often works____________ .
6. He is a_______ in our family.
7. My mother is rather______ and______________________ , she is always elegant and smart.
8. She is a______ woman of about 40.
9. She is___________ her work and always spends a lot of time there.
10. Shopping and____ is nearly half a day’s work for her.
11. I have a habit of_____ her about the house.
12. Boris is my______ brother.
13. He has already_____ _________ the University.
14. They have got a child, my___________ ,
15. It is a lovely little child of two with hair and dark blue eyes.
16. My granny always listens to my_ stories about my school life.
17. She is on a______ .
18. I must admit, she is a very__ person.
19. Put it into a few words, we are a__ and friendly family.
(based on the text «The Royal Family»).
Express your agreement or disagreement with one of the statements given below. Begin your answers with one of the following formulas: «That’s right»; «Exactly so»; «Precisely so»; «That’s just it»; «You are quite right, I agree with you»; «lam afraid, you are incorrect»; «Nothing of the kind»; «There is no doubt about it».
1. At present the British royal family is headed by Charles, the Prince of Wales.
2. As a child Queen Elizabeth studied constitutional history and law as well as art and music.
3. The marriage of the young Princess Elizabeth to Philip, the Duke of Edinburgh, took place in June 1953.
4. The Queen’s husband, the Duke of Edinburgh, was born in 1926.
5. The Queen’s heir is Prince Andrew.
6. Charles, the Prince of Wales, and Diana Spencer, the Princess of Wales, have got five children.
7. Anne, Princess Royal, in recent years has become quite popular with the general public.
8. Prince Andrew, the Duke of York, and Sarah Ferguson has got three children.
9. The Queen’s only sister, Princess Margaret, is well-known for her charity, including her support for Barbados, the Girl Guides Association, and the St. John Ambulance Brigade.