Sport and games
Answer the following questions:
1. What sports do you go in for?
2. What football team do you support?
3. What is the most popular game in your country (in Britain, и the USA)?
4. What sport games can be played all the year round?
5. What summer (winter) sports do you prefer?
6. What is the difference between «sport» and «game»?
7. What sports and games do you know?
8. What games take the first place in public interest?
9. What is the great national sport in England?
10. What outstanding sportsmen of our country do you know?
11. Where were the first (last) Olympic games held?
12. What do spectators do at the stadium?
13. Who usually likes tobogganing?
14. Do you play draughts (chess)?
15. Do you attend hockey matches?
16. Do we have champions in all kinds of sport?
17. In what season is cricket played?
18. What is the reason for smaller popularity of football in Britain?
19. What kind of game is cricket as compared to football?
(based on the topic "Sport and Games»),
Fill in the missing words:
1. All kinds of _____ exercises are very useful to make our bodies _____ enough to keep ourselves _____ and healthy.
2. The most popular outdoor winter sports are shooting and hunting, _____ ; in the countries where the weather is frosty and there is much snow — skating, skiing and _____ .
3. It’s nice to go to the _____ on a frosty sunny day.
4. Summer affords excellent _____ for swimming, boating, yachting, ______ , gliding and many other sports.
5. Among outdoor games _____ takes the first place in public interest; this game is played in all _____ of the world.
6. All the year round many people _____ in boxing, wrestling, athletics, gymnastics and _____ events.
7. Over the last few years _____ has become popular with young girls.
8. Being a great _____ of aerobics she has been trying to _____ many women from all over the world into this sport.
9. The results of chess _____ are studied and discussed by thousands of _____ in different countries.
10. If you do daily exercises, you feel _____ , have a good _____ , and that makes you feel good.
11. I can add that good _____ is better than the best medicine.
In the spaces provided, mark each true statement T and and false one F:
1. The goalkeeper acts as a judge in football.
2. Women are good football players as a rule.
3. Track and field events are never included in Olympic Games.
4. There is no difference between «soccer» and «rugby».
5. Ice hockey is popular with women.
6. Hockey is one of the most popular winter games.
7. People who play draughts are called draughtsmen.
8. We use ball when playing badminton.
9. You can touch the ball with your hands when playing football
10. The founder of aerobics was a well-known American actress Jane Fonda.
11. Summer affords excellent opportunities for skating and skiing.
12. In hockey a handball and rackets are used.
13. Boxers fight with bare hands.
14. Badminton can be played only indoors.
15. The most popular spectator sport is football.