At the doctor (medicine and health)
Answer the following questions:
1. What do you usually do when you fall ill?
2. When do you send for a doctor?
3. Who is treated at policlinic, and who is treated at a hospital?
4. What does the doctor do when he conies to examine you?
5. Why must one follow the doctor’s directions?
6. When do you receive injections?
7. What do you feel when you have the flu?
8. What are the symptoms of the flu (tonsillitis, measles, mumps, scarlet fever, etc.)? .
9. Who do you consult when you have a toothache (broken leg, eye-ache)?
10. Who operates on people?
11. What docs a sick person look like?
12. What catching diseases do you know?
13. When is one put on a sick leave?
14. What must one do if an accident happens?
15. What do you do to cure a cold (a headache, toothache, etc.)?
16. Why do doctors insist on patients following their directions until their recovery is complete?
17. How long does it take you to recover from a cold?
18. What must we do so as not to have complications after a cold?
19. Are all kinds of complications easily cured?
20. Have you ever been operated on? Was it serious?
21. Have you been on a sick leave this year?
22. Who usually makes out prescriptions? Can a nurse do it?
(based on the topic «At the Doctor»).
Fill in the missing words:
1. If your _____ is good, you are always in a good mood.
2. Taking _____ is an unpleasant thing, of course, and if you want to _____ it, you should keep yourself fit.
3. A hundred years ago there was no medicine for diphtheria, measles, _____ fever, whooping-cough and other _____ diseases.
4. But nowadays the situation has changed and our _____ has succeeded in treating patients for _____ diseases.
5. And if you should have an operation he will send you to a _____ where they have all the necessary _____ .
6. If your eyes need attention, you go to the _____ , who will examine them, _____ your sight to see whether you are suffering from _____ or long-sight.
7. We advised him not to risk his _____ and see a _____ at once.
8. My friend _____ of a headache and _____ throat.
9. Having examined my friend, the doctor found he had a bad _____ , wrote out a _____ and told him to go home and _____ in bed.
10. My friend followed the doctor’s _____ and in a week he felt much better and the doctor said he had fully _____ .
Match each sentence or word in the left-hand column with the best meaning in the right-hand column. Place the letter of the best definition in the spасе provided:
3) to be laid up with the flu (cold, sore throat, etc.)
4) a cold in the head
10) to give a patient a (thorough) check up
a) to be confined to bed or the house through illness.
b) to examine a patient (thoroughly).
c) a common illness of the nose accompanied by sneezing and running nose.
d) a pain in a tooth or teeth.
e) the art and science of the prevention and cure of disease.
f) sorts of medicinal paste made from oil or fat and used on the skin (to heal injuries or roughness, or as a cosmetic).
g) strip of material for binding round a wound or injury.
h) condition of the body or the mind.
i) continuous pain in the head.
j) act or sound of coughing.
k) a doctor who performs operations.
l) a place where people are treated for, nursed through their illness or injuries