АНГЛІЙСЬКА МОВА - підготовка до ЗНО 2018
КЛЮЧІ ДО ТЕСТОВИХ І ТРЕНУВАЛЬНИХ ЗАВДАНЬ
Section І. Grammar
1 I helped my mum yesterday. It's your turn today.
2 Tom often walks to school.
3 We don't have dinner at nine o'clock every evening.
4 I finished my homework an hour ago.
5 Were you watching TV at six o'clock yesterday?
6 Were you talking to a friend when I met you yesterday?
7 I was doing my homework when you called.
8 We have studied English for three years.
9 They haven't spoken to each other since yesterday evening.
10 What time did she arrive last night?
1. He couldn't go to the theatre because he hadn't bought a ticket.
2. He smoked 30 cigarettes every day, but at the moment he is trying to give it up.
3. We don't use this room today because it’s very cold in here.
4. When I arrived home. I found that my mother had gone out.
5. My English teacher doesn't allow us to use dictionaries in the exams.
6. I haven't played footbal I for ages. The last time I did it was 5 years ago.
7. “What were you doing at 9 o'clock last night?” the policeman asked.
8. Danny thinks he is the most handsome boy in the world.
9. Henry came home from his holidays yesterday and discovered that someone had come into his house while he was out.
10. The objective of the last campaign was not only to sell as many products as possible.
11. I’ll phone my parents tomorrow, as soon as I have the results of my check - up.
12. I'm sure that our team will win the Cup.
13. Those clouds are very black, aren't they? It is going to rain soon.
14. My boss leaves early every Friday, so we don’t work very hard on Fridays.
15. Mr. Smith was free 5 minutes ago, but now he is talking to some customers on the phone.
16. German is a language that has as many irregular verbs as English.
17. I can t do gymnastics today because I have just broken my arm.
18. Did you work hard when you were at school, grandma?
19. At 8:30 last night, I was not reading, I was watching television.
20. Beethoven wrote many good pieces of classical music.
1. boxes, geese, mice. men. feet, teeth, these.
2. tomatoes, sugar, furniture, hair, fun, people, women, children, feet, sheep, teeth, students, fish, men, housewives, knives, geese, pianos, policemen.
3. faces, portfolios, swine, houses, tomatoes, mothers-in-law, oxen, cries, keys, foxes, lookers-on. bushes, enemies, leaves, roofs, heroes, sheep, youths, journeys, penknives, men-of-war, data, deer, Englishwomen, wolves, mice, forget-me-nots, feet, crises, bases, births, marry-go-rounds, passers-by, editors-in-chief, police, policemen, photos.
4. Phrase, type, dish, country, melody, wife, half, knife, time, hero, fly.
1. the teacher's pen; the window of this room; Tom’s bicycle; her child’s toy; the back of the chair; the captain's order; her pupils' bags; the banks of the river; the actors' arrival; Dick’s father; her children's books.
2. Jack's pen; my friend's camera; her pupils’ books; the girl's shoes; the workers’ flats; this miner's car; his brother's coat; the teacher's watch.
3. 1 The children are playing in the yard. 2 The stories were very interesting. 3 We came up to the women who were working in the garden. 4 The matches will be held in Kiev. 5 The geese are in the yard. 6 The tomatoes are ripe. 7 The books are on the shelf. 8 The watches were made in Lviv. 9 The cats caught mice.
TEST 1 B 2 A 3 C 4 A 5 B 6 D 7 A 8 D 9 B 10 C 11 B 12 A.
1. the/the. 2 an. 3 the. 4 x. 5 an. 6 an. 7 a. 8 x. 9 a. 10 the.
2. 1 a. 2 a. 3 a. 4 a. 5 an. 6 an. 7 an. 8 an. 9 a.
3. 1 a. 2 a. 3 the. 4 the. 5 x. 6 the. 7 the. 8 the. 9 x. 10 x. 11 an. 12 x. 13 x / a. 14 an. the. 15 a. 16 a. the. 17 the.
TEST 1 C 2 C 3 A 4 D 5 C 6 B 7 A 8 C 9 D 10 D 11 D 12 C
a) 1 He. 2 They. 3 she. 4 you. I. 5 They or We or You. 6 I / you.
b) 1 me. 2 it. 3 us. 4 her. 5 them. 6 him. 7 her.
c) 1 their. 2 her. 3 his. 4 your. 5 I my. 6 its.
d) 1 hers. 2 theirs. 3 his. 4 yours, mine.
1 herself. 2 her. 3 myself. 4 itself. 5 themselves. 6 himself. 7 yourself. 8 themselves. 9 him 10 ourselves
3. Two days ago. I saw Mary wearing my coat. I knew it was mine, because it had a coffee stain on the left sleeve. I explained to her that it was mine, but she said it was hers, refused to give it back and stormed off. I followed her as she took the liberty of going shopping in my coat. First of all, she purchased cigarettes and put them in the pocket of my coat. Ugh! flow dare she! I hate the smell of cigarettes!
Next, she popped into a “Greasy Spoon" cafe. (Due to the greasy atmosphere and rancid cooking smells, all working men’s cafes have that nickname, because all their food is fried in oil or lard.) I peered in through the window and noticed she was sitting down on one of the greasy chairs. Oh, no! Not only is my coat going to stink of fried food, but it is also going to have greasy stains on it!
As I watched, she started to undo my coat and then took it off. I waited until she had removed it and hung it up with some grubby workmen's coats on coat hooks in the corner. I decided it would be a good idea to wait until she wasn't looking, then I could rush in and grab the coat. I glanced away for a few minutes to blow my nose and when I looked back, the coat had gone. Racing into the cafe. I looked frantically about me and noticed an old tramp limping out of another door with my coat gracing his rounded shoulders. I desperately shouted, “Stop! Thief!” Mary looked up in surprise. “Quick Mary,“ I yelled, “That tramp has walked off with my coat!”
“No. he hasn’t,” she replied. “He looked so cold, poor thing, I told him he could have it.”
“What! You gave my coat away!”
“Of course not! Although our coats are similar, that was a green coat; your one is brown, so that one was definitely not yours! Can’t you get special glasses or tablets for your colour-blindness?”
4. much/ little / much / many / few / little.
TEST 1 C 2 B 3 D 4 C 5 A 6 B 7 D 8 A 9 B 10 D 11 A 12 В
1. 1. the most famous. 2. oldest. 3. richest. 4. greatest. 5. most exciting. 6. most popular. 7. most successful. 8. most attractive. 9. happiest.
2. 1. moreelegant.2. happier. 3. faster. 4. more helpful. 5. lovelier. 6. bigger. 7. restful. 8. more modern.
TEST 1 B 2 D 3 D 4 A 5 B 6 A 7 C 8 C 9 B 10 C 11 D 12 C
1. 1 really. 2 luckily. 3 never. 4 quickly. 5 tomorrow. 6 outside. 7 usually. 8 three times a week. 9 ever 10 perfectly well. 11 quite.
2. 1 She just sat peacefully/by the river/in the garden. 2 Two years ago we visited the fair. 3 Albert went to Mexico. 4 I like England very much. 5 I spent a month in London. 6 You can park your car there.
3. I had a strange dream last night. I was in the garden. It was getting dark, and it was terribly cold. My head was aching badly. I was walking out of the garden when suddenly I saw a man. He was sitting quietly on a seat. He seemed very unhappy. He looked up and smiled sadly to me. I don't know why, but I felt curious about him. I wanted to talk to him, but I couldn't think what to say. I just stood there foolishly.
TEST 1 C 2 A 3 C 4 B 5 D 6 B 7 D 8 D 9 D 10 C 11 D 12 C
1. 1 I work at the local store in the summer. 2 We don't go to the cinema very often. 3 Ann is getting ready for school, so she can't come to the telephone. 4 Does Jack ever talk about his invention? 5 In this game, you hit a ball against a wall.
2. 1 Look! It is raining now. 2 Listen! Can you hear those people next door? They are quarreling again. 3 Why do you put on your coat? It is very warm. 4 Take this umbrella. It is snowing outdoors. 5 Please don't make so much noise. I am working. 6 Excuse me; I am looking for a bus stop. Is there one nearby?
3. 1 The children don't drink coffee in the evening. Do the children drink coffee in the evening? 2 Her sister doesn't dance very well. Does her sister dance very well? 3 Our grandmother doesn't grow potatoes. Does our grandmother grow potatoes? 4 The pupils don't remember this rule. Do the pupils remember this rule? 5 Nick doesn't go to bed at ten. Does Nick go to bed at ten? 6 They don't listen to the radio in the morning. Do they listen to the radio in the morning? 7 You don't meet him every day. Do you meet him every day? 8 It doesn't often snow in November. Does it often snow in November? 9 You don't want to play chess with him. Do you want to play chess with him? 10 His mother doesn't teach geography at school. Does his mother teach geography at school? 11 My cousine doesn't want to become a doctor. Does my cousine want to become a doctor? 12 She doesn't take a bus.
4. 1 Don't put your coat on. The sun is shining. 2 In summer the sun shines brightly. 3 Run downstairs. Your sister is waiting for you. 4 I usually wait for Tom. He is always late. 5 We have coffee every morning. 6 I like tea, but now I am having coffee. 7 Mary plays piano every evening. 8 Where is John? — He is playing the piano. 9 Our boys usually play football in the yard. 10 Call them. They are playing football in the yard. 11 My aunt does not make cakes on Mondays, but she is making one now. 12 Ann usually makes doll dresses herself. 13 She is in the kitchen. She is making tea for us. 14 What are you looking at? — I am looking at that tree in the garden. I like looking at it early in the morning. 15 I am busy. I am making my bed. 16 I always make my bed before breakfast. 17 Listen! Somebody is singing. 18 How often do you brush your hair? 19 Where are you? - I am in the room. I am reading. 20 They are having dinner now. 21 What is Mom doing in the kitchen? - She is laying the table for the breakfast.
5. John Fields is a farmer. He gets up at 5 o’clock in the morning. He washes and dresses. Then he makes breakfast and eats it. He puts on his coat goes outside. He milks the cows early in the morning. His wife, Mary, and the children do not get up so early. They get up at 7 o’clock. Mary feeds the chickens and then she makes some tea for herself. The children do not like tea. They usually drink milk. At 7.30, Mary takes the children to school. Then she goes to the office and John works on the farm. At 4 o’clock the children come home from school. John and Mary cooks dinner. The children do not help their parents with the cooking bur they do the washing-up. In the evening John and his wife watch TV or listen to the radio. The children do not watch) TV. They do their homework. They all go to bed at 9 p.m. They are all very tired.
6. 1 Has Mary received the letter? Mary hasn't received the letter. 2 Has the boy passed all his exams? The boy hasn't passed all his exams. 3 Has the director signed the order? The director hasn't signed the order. 4) Have they left for the USA? They haven't left for the USA. 5) Have the pupils translated the text? The pupils haven't translated the text. 6) Has Kate done her homework? Kate hasn't done her homework. 7) Will we have done it? We won't have done it.
7. 1 The children have done their homework. Now they can go to the skating-rink. 2 Have you ever been to Warsaw? — Yes, I was there last year. 3 I already have sent the telegram. 4 I haven't seen him since January. 5 I saw him in 1989. 6 Have you had breakfast already? 7 I haven't cleaned my room yet.
8. 1 How long has he been playing chess? 2 What has his younger brother doing for an hour? 3 Who has been looking after the baby since her mother went to the market? 4 How long have we been looking for you? 5 How long has Ann been speaking over the telephone?
9. 1 Where are the pupils? -They are planting the trees. They plant them since the morning. They always plant trees in October. They already have planted several hundreds trees this year. 2. Ann is having her music lesson now. She has her music lesson twice a week. 3. I am going to take a walk. I have done all my home exercises already. I have been doing them for three hours. 4. Since when have they being built this house? 5. At last I have found the book I need. I have been looking for it for a quarter of an hour. 6. Don’t shout. Helen is reading an English book. She works at her English every day. She has learned this language for three years. She has read many English stories this year. 7. What do you do in the morning? 8. What have you done since the morning?
1. 1 Yesterday we discussed the film which we had seen some days before. 2 When my sister had gone to the theatre. I began to write the letter. 3 The children had fallen asleep by 10 o’clock. 4 He told us many interesting things he had seen in Odessa. 5 Mother had cooked supper by the time they came home.
2. 1 It was a relief to find the documents. I had been looking for them all afternoon. 2 He was dismissed, even though, in his opinion, he had not done anything wrong. 3 It was not the first time I’d met him. We had met many times before. 4 He called me at eleven in the evening to tell me that he had finally found a solution. 5 When he had finished his speech, he waited for the reaction of the audience. But no one said a word. 6 By the time I came back from my business trip, a lot of things had changed. 7 The doctor asked me how long I had had the symptoms. 8 It was more than a month before we realised what had happened to him. 9 We had already been working on this project for a month before we found a fundamental flaw. 10 The invoice hadn't still arrived by the end of the week so we sent them a strong reminder.
3. 1 When I was doing the washing-up, I broke a plate. 2 While Tom was playing the piano, his mother was doing the washing-up. 3 He drank some juice and then he ate a few chips. 4 I was having dinner when I suddenly heard a loud bang. 5 When my father was working in the garden, an old friend passed by to see him. 6 She went to school, took out her textbook and began to learn. 7 When it started to rain, our dog wanted to come inside.8 When Jane was doing a language course in Ireland, she visited the Castle. 9 When I was on my way home, I saw an accident. 10 I did not understand w hat they were talking about.
4. 1 C. 2 В. 3 A. 4 C. 5 C. 6 B. 7 B. 8 C.
1. 1 Will she win the competition? 2 She will be waiting when we arrive. 3 By next week I will have finished this work. 4 I will have been living here for one year next week. 5 Who will pass the exam? 6 She will have been studying so she will be tired. 7 How will you be getting home? 8 I will come later. 9 She will have caught the train by 3pm. 10 It will rain tomorrow. 11 We will have arrived in Bermuda by this time tomorrow 12 John will be sleeping at 4am. 13 I will not have completed the report by 5pm tomorrow. 14 How long will you have been seeing your boyfriend when you get married? 15 Will you have had dinner by 8pm? 16 It will be raining in Scotland next week. 17 When will she have sold the house? 18 She will not do her homework. 19 How long will you have been working here when you retire? 20 When will you have done everything you want to? 21 They will not be able to arrive on time. 22 We will not be eating dinner at that time. 23 He will not have been working here for three years next month. 24 Will she be taking her car to the party? 25 They will not have been exercising before we meet. 26 He will not be happy. 27 What will you have been doing before dinner? 28 Will you drive here? 29 She will not be lying on the beach yet. 30 They will have been working all day so I will cook. 31 What time will you be arriving? 32 He will not have finished the cleaning by the time she gets home.
2. 1 A. 2 A. 3 B. 4 C. 5 B. 6 A. 7 B. 8 D. 9 D. 10 А. 11 B. 12 D. 13 B. 14 C. 15 A. 16 A. 17 C. 18 B. 19 D. 20 A.
TEST. 1 B 2 A 3 C 4 C 5 D 6 D 7 A 8 B 9 D 10 A 11 В 12 D
1. 1 There is a bag on the table. 2 There is a calendar on the wall. 3 There are two posters in my room. 4 There is a banana in this basket. 5 There are six chairs in the kitchen. 6 There are lots of books in the shelf. 7 There is a mirror in our hall. 8 There are 12 cushions on the sofa. 9 There is a big wardrobe in my sister's bedroom. 10 There are children in the yard.
2. 1 B. 2 B. 3 A. 4 A. 5 B. 6 A. 7 B. 8 B. 9 B. 10 A.
3. 1 Jack had fun at the party last Saturday. 2 I'm sorry, but I have to go now. 3 Have you ever been to Canada? 4 Dave has passed his driving test. 5 Can we have the bill, please? 6 The match had already started when we arrived. 7 They have breakfast at 6:30 this morning. 8 Do you have a brother? 9 My boss never has time. 10 David has been waiting for Pam for 20 minutes now.
TEST. 1 A 2 C 3 D 4 A 5 C 6 D 7 C 8 A 9 D 10 B 11 A 12 В
1. 1 In September. 2 At 12 o'clock. 3 In winter. 4 On Easter Monday. 5 On 4th July. 1776. 6 On Christmas. 7 On Tuesday. 8 At the weekend. 9 At my birthday. 10 At the end of the week. 11 At night
2. 1. I get up at six on weekdays. 2. I have lunch at 11:30 on Mondays. 3. I have a little snack around 10:00 at night. 4. On Friday, I leave school early. 5. I stay until noon on Sundays. 6. I stay up before 1:00 A.M. on weekends.
3. 1. A. 2. A. 3. C. 4. B. 5. A. 6. C. 7. B. 8. A. 9. C. 10. C. 11. A. 12. A. 13. В. 14. A. 15. C. 16. B. 17. В. 18. A. 19. C. 20. A.
TEST 1 B 2 A 3 C 4 C 5 D 6 D 7 A 8 B 9 D 10 A 11 В 12 D
1. A 1 He couldn't go home and he had no place to go. 2. I took a taxi and she drove home. 3. He didn't want help and did he ask for it. 4 I wanted to go late but she wanted to go on time. 5 She cooked dinner but he took her out to a restaurant. 6. She owned a car but she didn't know how to drive it. 7. She had to go, and she called a friend to drive her.
В: 1. I cook our breakfast while my mom is cleaning the house. 2. I will be happy when my brother smiles. 3. My cat meows when my dog barks. 4 I ran so that my legs hurt. 5 I won the race because practiced. 6 The sky became grey as I was walking the street. 7 She gets angry because I shouted on her.
2. 1 A. 2 C. 3 B. 4 A. 5 B. 6 A. 7 C. 8 B. 9 B. 10 B.
3. 1 After Catherine and Ben got married they had to learn how to cook. 2 Liz got angry when her husband burnt her breakfast. 3 You can hear what I'm saying if you keep quiet 4 She won.t invite her classmates to her birthday party until she know s them well. 5 The first exercise was easy but this one is very difficult. 6 While we were waiting in line for Van Gogh exhibition we ate our hamburgers. 7 She has been very sad since her Siamese cat disappeared. 8 I hate living in the city so I'm moving to country. 9 We neither saw anything important nor we heard anything important. 10 Although they waited for over an hour the show was well worth it. 11 I love her paintings because she uses bright colours. 12 Both my father and mother love gardening.
TEST 1 A 2 D 3 D 4 D 5 C 6 D 7 C 8 B 9 C 10 D 11 C 12 В
1. 1 Are all pupils supplied with textbooks? All pupils are not supplied with textbooks. 2 Was America discovered by Columbus? America was not discovered by Columbus. 3 Was the floor painted last summer? The floor was not painted last summer. 4 Will the shop be closed at 8 o’clock? The shop will not be closed at 8 o’clock. 5 Is the sick man being operated on? The sick man is not being operated on. 6 Is the room being cleaned now? The room is not being cleaned now. 7 Was this metro line being built at that time? This metro line was not being built at that time. 8 Has this novel been translated into Ukrainian? This novel has not been translated into Ukrainian. 9 Has a new cinema been built in our town? A new cinema has not been built in our town. 10 Had the tickets been sold out by that time? The tickets had not been sold out by that time.
A. 1. The flowers are watered by the girls every day. 2. This magazine is published in Moscow. 3. Such questions are not discussed when we meet. 4. This castle was built in the 16th century. 5. This film was not shown last week .6. This work will not be finished tomorrow. 7. He shall be invited. 8. The roads are being repaired by the workers. 9. The film was shown from 7 till 8. 10. The door has been locked. 11. My pencil has been broken. 12. The letter has been posted. 13. The composition had been written before the bell rang. 14. The camp was made not far from the village.
B. 1. We were shown the monuments of Lviv. 2. I was offered a cup of tea. 3. She was promised an interesting job. 4. An actress was given a bunch of flowers. 5. I was shown me the way to the station.6. We were offered two tickets.
C. 1. The doctor was sent for. 2. The little boy was laughed at. 3. The children are looked after. 4. The professor was listened to. 5. This film is spoken about very much. 6. He was made fun of. 7. She is spoken to.
D. 1. The window can be opened by us. 2. This story may be invented by him. 3.The book may be lost by the girl. 4. These words could be repeated by the pupils. 5. This day must be forgotten by them.
3. 1. I was taught English by my sister. 2. The car is driven by Peter. 3. A key has been lost by Mary. 4. The delegation will be meet by Ivanov. 5. Our dictations has been checked by the teacher. 6. The opera was being conducted by our music teacher.
4. 1. A well-known writer wrote the story. 2. The workers will build the house in 3 month. 3. People feed animals at the zoo twice a day. 4. The pupils of our class have read the magazine. 5. A stranger frightened us. 6. Somebody left this book. 7. My brother has made that present. 8. Somebody showed her the shortest way. 9. By the time the teacher came, we had done the exercise. 10. They went home after they had finished the work.
5. 1 I'm not wearing my black shoes today. They are mended. 2 This copy cannot be read. The pages are not cut. 3 Why isn't the car locked or put into the garage? 4 He was taken to hospital this afternoon, and will be operated on tomorrow morning. 5 Thousands of new houses are built every year. 6 When I saw the car, it was driven at over fifty miles an hour. 7 This room hasn't been used for ages. 8 Dictionaries may not be used at the examination.
TEST 1 A 2 D 3 C 4 A 5 D 6 A 7 A 8 B 9 D 10 В 11 A 12 D
1. 1. I have got some more at home. 2. He hasn't got any like this. 3. Have you got a dog? 4. I'm afraid I haven't got time to do it. 5. Have you got the tickets? 6. Have they got your address?
2. 1. You must not leave this room. 2. He doesn't have to stay longer. 3. They didn't have to make a noise. 4. You don't have to read this book. 5. They don't have to sell our house. 6. He must not take it away. 7. He said you didn't have to listen to them. 8. You must not begin before 5 o'clock.
3. 1. Does she have someone living with her? 2. Did she have a shock when she heard the news? 3. Did the judge have pity on them? 4. Does he usually have a lot of difficulty in reading her writing? 5. Did she have a letter from her boyfriend yesterday? 6. Does February have thirty days? 7. Did he have a good reason for what he did? 8. Did Mrs Smith have a baby in the hospital last week?
4. 1. You must stay here with somebody. 2. He has to stay at home tomorrow. 3. You have to eat this with salt. 4. They have to come again. 5. He said he had to tell them your name. 6. They had to open the classroom windows. 7. She must go home with somebody. 8. He says you have to write another letter. 9. You have to call me sometimes. 10. I must buy a new pair of shoes.
4. 1) It is raining you should take an umbrella.2) Tom shouldn't eat so many lollipops. It's bad for his teeth. З I should drink hot tea if I have a sore throat. 4) They have a test tomorrow, hey shouldn't go to the cinema. They should study! 5) Children should eat lots of vegetables but they shouldn't eat lots of sweets. 6) I have a party tonight. What should I wear? A dress or a pair of trousers? 7) The doctor said: “You should eat healthy food. You shouldn't eat fast food. You shouldn't watch so much TV. You should walk 1 hour a day. You should drink fruit juice and water. You shouldn't drink wine or beer.
5. 1) A. 2) B. 3) A. 4) D. 5) C. 6) B. 7) A.
6. 1) You must not smoke here. 2) She can read and write now. 3) Last summer it was very dry and I had to water the garden every day. 4) Can you see anything? — Nothing at all. 5) ... I have a cup of tea. please? 6) You must be careful. 7) I like this house, but I can’t decide yet. My wife has to see it first. 8) Must I do it now? — No, you needn't. I'll do it myself tomorrow. 9) Let's go into the living room. We can have our coffee there. 10) Must you go so early? It’s only nine o’clock. 11) May you come at 2 p. m.? — No, that's very late. 12) Do we have to go on foot? — No. we needn’t. We may catch a bus. 13) May I come in? 14) He told his secretary: «You can go home now if you like”. 15) He can understand English people if they speak slowly. 16) Can you tell me the right time? 17) Little children have to go to bed early. 18) I cannot write to him because I haven't his address. 19) You mustn't play football in the street.
TEST 1 C 2 B 3 D 4 D 5 B 6 D 7 A 8 D 9 D 10 C 11 A 12 В
1. 1. He said (that) she had gone to Paris. 2. He said (that) they would be at home at 5 o'clock. 3. He said (that) she had been at school. 4. He said (that) we had received a letter. 5. He said (that) they had made a lot of mistakes. 6. He said (that) she was thirsty. 7. He said (that) Ann had read the book twice. 8. He said (that) his parents had never been to London.
2. 1. They would like her present. 2. Mom would not work tomorrow. 3. My uncle would buy a new car. 4. Dad would be busy tomorrow morning. 5. We would not receive a letter from him. 6. Grandma would go shopping.
3. 1. Jane told us she would write a thrilling story. 2. They knew they had written lots of dictations. 3. My brother told me my uncle had invited my parents to dinner. 4. I was sure his father would punish him for the broken window. 5.1 knew Sam hadn't fed his dog in the morning.
2. 1. She says her mother works at school. 2. She said her mother worked at school. 3. He says his father worked at the factory. 4. He said his father had worked at the factory. 5. He says he will go to the sea in summer. 6. He said he would go to the sea in summer. 7. We know that he is at home. 8. We knew that he was at home. 9. They thought I knew French. 10. We knew you would like the concert. 11. The teacher asked where I lived. 12. He asked me where і had bought the textbook.
TEST 1 D 2 B 3 C 4 B 5 D 6 C 7 D 8 B 9 A 10 A 11 B 12 B
1. 1. The soldier refused to obey and was put in jail. 2. The accused denied killing the old woman for her money. 3. Would you like to make a lot of money? 4. I don't mind living with only a little money. 5. I'll never forget skiing in the Alps that w inter. 6. Don't forget to post the letter 1 gave you. 7. We regret to inform you that you have not passed the test. 8. The thief tried to climb the wall, but he couldn't. 9. “Will you stop talking in class?” shouted the teacher. 10. I prefer going to the cinema rather than the theatre.
2. 1. The shop keeps on sending circulars. 2. I was only trying to help you. 3. I can't help laughing at his jokes. 3. They enjoy spending their holiday in Istanbul. 4. it's no good to use such a small dictionary. 5. She stopped at Smith's to buy a magazine. 6. My son likes travelling by aeroplane.
3. 1. My father began to collect stamps years ago. 2. Jane hopes to pass her exams next month. 3. Stop telling such stories to the men. 4. Smiling helps you make friends. 5. There's no point in doing it now. 6. He promised to write soon.
4. 1. The soldier refused to obey orders and was put in jail. 2. The accused denied killing the old woman for her money. 3. I’ll never forget skiing in the Alps that winter. 4. "Will you stop talking in class?” shouted the teacher. 5. if the car won't start, try to push it. 6. I prefer travelling to Istanbul rather than Sicily. 7. I'd rather you work less and earn more. 8. They don't let their daughter to drive alone. 9. While travelling, we set off our honeymoon trip to New' Zealand.
5. 1. She was talking to her friend and forgetting everything around her. 2. Watching the news every day we know what’s going on in the world. 3. They are vegetarians not eating meat. 4. The dog wagging its tail bit the postman. 5. While tidying up her room she found some old photos. 6. He was a good boy helping his mother in the kitchen. 7. Not having enough money they spent their holidays at home last year. 8. Was the man sitting in the cafe reading a paper? 9. Not feeling well I didn't go to the cinema. 10. While walking home she met an old friend. 11. We switched off the lights before going to bed.
6. 1. Having asked his mother's permission the boy then went out to play. 2. Having had drunk too much, he didn't drive home himself. 3. Having written two tests today, we are very exhausted. 4. Having filled the washing machine she switched it on. 5. Having been to the disco the night before she overslept in the morning. 6. Having worked in the garden all day we were sunburned in the evening. 7. Having not slept for two days she therefore wasn't able to concentrate. 8. Having not seen him for ages, I didn't recognize him. 9. Having not ridden a horse for a long time I found it very difficult to keep in the saddle.
7. 1. The boy carrying a blue parcel crossed the street. 2. The battle being fought at this place was very significant. 3. She wept bitter tears laying in her bed. 4. The books sent to us are for my aunt. 5. She stood at the comer talking to her friends. 6. The children went from house to house playing trick or treat. 7. He was very tall having become a basketball player. 8. He overheard a conversation waiting in the hall. 9. The picture stolen from a museum was offered on Ebay. 10. The song sung last night is still in my head.
8. 1. We waited for the rain to stop sitting in the bus shelter. 2. The documentation telecast last Tuesday was impressive. 3. We had great tun at the party playing silly games. 4. Having saved a little money he travelled to Australia. 5. Chatting along they didn't see the car coming. 6. Having been prepared carefully the reception was a great success. 7. Having picked up by his mother he didn't have to wait for the bus. 8. Having finished her degree she started to work for an international company. 9. Listening to the radio she didn't hear the doorbell. 10. The room looking like a battlefield had not been tidied up yet.
TEST 1 D 2 B 3 B 4 A 5 C 6 B 7 C 8 A 9 A 10 D 11 C 12 C
1. 1. If the water were warm, we would bathe in the river. 2. If there were much snow in January, they would go skiing every day. 3. If the rain stopped, the girls would go for a walk. 4. If he were not very busy, he would help you. 5. If she came tomorrow, she would join us.
2. 1. If she had been attentive, she wouldn't have made so many mistakes. 2. The boy would have posted your letter if you had given it to him. 3. If I had known the number of his telephone. I should have rung him up. 4. If I had received any news, I should have let you know. 5. She would have bought that dress if she had had money with her.
3. A. 1. If I had known your address, I could have sent you a letter. 2. If Mary were not ill, she could finish this work today. 3. If my friend knew English, he could read this book in the original. 4. If 1 had seen him yesterday. I could have told him about it.
В. 1. If we could get tickets, we should go to the circus. 2. If she could read English, she would subscribe to News from Ukraine. 3. If I could have seen them. I would have told them about today's meeting. 4. If I could have gone to the cinema, I would have seen the film. 5. If he could sing, he would take part in the concert.
TEST 1 C 2 D 3 D 4 B 5 D 6 C 7 C 8 C 9 D 10 C 11 A 12 C
1 Did they finish cooking an hour ago?
2 I didn't do the homework. I think the teacher will be to be angry.
3 Sarah is going on holiday next week.
4 Paul won't meet us after school. He’s got football practice.
5 Maybe John and Mark won’t be in the football team. They aren't good enough.
6 Before we eat. I 'll make a salad.
7 I will buy a computer as soon as I have got enough money.
8 When Jerry calls, we'll tell him our plans.
9 The moment they are hungry, we'll have dinner.
10 She hasn't practiced the guitar since Tuesday.
1 Can I borrow your pen or you are using it at the moment? 2 The sun rises in the East. 3 They have been living here since they got married in 2001.4 I have never visited Dublin. 5 While we were doing sport, someone came in and left this note on the table. 6 At this time next Thursday I will behaving lunch with my aunt. 7 I hope they will have found a better job by the end of the summer. 8 “Was Tom at the party when you arrived?” “No, he said / has said goodbye more than an hour before”. 9 I believe that you do not like him: he is so unfriendly. 10 I have not finished the book you bought me last Christmas yet. 11 Has Jenny changed her car recently? 12 Water does not boil at 90° C. 13. — “Can you take me to the airport tonight? “Of course. I'll take you. I'd be happy to. 14. He has cut my hair too short — Don't worry; it will grow again very quickly. 15. The milk smells bad. Have you kept milk a long time? 16. They were building that bridge when I spent my holidays here last year. They haven't finished it yet. 17. Everyone was studying quietly when suddenly, the door opened wide and a complete stranger came in. 18. The clock is very slow. It isn't slow, it has stopped. 19. “Has George decided what to do when he finishes school?” “Oh yes, he has. His intentions are clear: He is going to take a vacation for a few weeks, and then he to start a computer programming course. 20. After we had seen the beautiful island, we took a boat to the continent.
Reading and Vocabulary
1 A, 2 C, 3 E, 4 D, 5 В
TOPICS FOR SELF-STUDY AND EXERCISES
1. Possible answers: 1. is crazy about 2. is interested in 3. fancies 4. flirts with
2. 1. grandmother, grandfather 2. uncle, aunt 3. nephew, niece 4. cousins 5. grandsons, granddaughters
3. 1 С, 2 А, 3 В, 4 С, 5 В, 6 В, 7 В. 8 А, 9 С, 10 В
4. В 1 В, 2 А, 3 А, 4 С, 5 D
С. 1 А, 2 А, 3 D, 4 С, 5 А
5. 1. Kerry McDonald 2. Rachel and Malcolm 3. She's his aunt. 4. Chris's grandmother in Texas. 5. Sister.
1. A What does she look like? She looks very kind. В Who’s she? She’s like her mother. C What’s he like? He's lovely. D Who does he look like? He looks like his brother.
2. A 4, В 1, C 2, D 3.
3. adjectives: attractive bald beautiful blonde brown curly dark fair fat glasses good-looking kind long middle-aged nice old pretty medium-height round short shy slim square tall straight thin young bad boring crazy cute drive fantastic funny happy interesting lovely odd peaceful poor sad weird terrible proud cool playful hard-working selfish realible dedicated adorable obedient tame restless courageous optimistic confident pretty all fairly short wavy small ugly grey red big blue careful clever cold confident fit imaginative intelligent kind lazy nervous calm optimistic patient pessimistic polite quiet rude sensitive serious tidy thought fill good thin strong
nouns: beard brick face hair head man moustache teenager woman uncle subjects tail sister boy brother father mother humble cow horse eyes parents glasses people mouth nose daughter grandfather cousins son
TEST 1 B 2 D 3 C 4 A 5 C 6 A 7 C 8 B 9 B 10 D 11 A 12 D
1. A The Statue of Liberty in New York. В The Washington Monument. C The Great Wall of China. D Nelson's Column. E The World Trade Centre Memorial at Ground Zero.
3. 1 A. 2 В. 3 C. 4 A. 5 C.
TEST 1 A 2 C 3 B 4 D 5 A 6 A 7 A 8 A 9 B 10 A 11 B 12 В
1. 1 B. 2 C. 3 A. 4 D. 5 E.
2. 1 E 2 D. 3 A. 4 B. 5. C
3. 1 put on. 2 resist. 3 join
4. Fit and healthy Not fit
My Mum My dad
My sister my brother
5. 1 C 2 A 3 B 4 D
TEST. 1 C 2 B 3 D 4 A 5 C 6 C 7 B 8 B 9 A 10 C 11 D 12 B
pear peach banana
lemon mango melon
plum star fruit
beans carrots onions
peas potatoes tomato
spicy disgusting delicious
Bland crispy soft hard fluffy oily
Italian Chinese Ukrainian
3. 1. sour 2. full 3. dry 4. rich 5. thirsty 6. moist 7. starve 8. succulent 9. bitter 10. sweet
4. 1. sausage 2. dish 3. yellow 4. cheese 5. barley 6. jam 7. fish
5. 1 C. 2 E. 3 A. 4 D. 5 B.
6. Kitchen equipment: aluminium foil — can opener — bottle opener — measuring cup — potato peeler — cooker/ stove — measuring spoon — fridge — mixing bowl - freezer - spoon — spatula — coffee grinder — microwave (oven) bread knife — dishwasher — wooden spoon — sieve — cooking chopsticks — chopping board — kitchen scales — cheese grater — frying pan — saucepan — serving spoon
Ways of cooking food: bake — boil — grill - fry — chop — roast — slice — queeze — grind — steam — stew
Other things you do to food: stir — peel — grate — toast
7. 1. C. 2. A, 3. C, 4. B, 5. A, 6. A, 7. A
8. В. 1 A, 2 D, 3 C, 4 C, 5 B.
C. 1 B, 2 C, 3 А, 4 C, 5 B.
9. В. 1 B, 2 В, 3 B, 4 D, 5 B.
TEST I C2D3A4B5A6C7D8A9C 10 A 11 В I2B
1. 1. backboard 2.com 3. Recess 4. attendances, semesters 6. seminar 7. textbook 8. graduation 9. enroll 10. principal
2. 1. B. 2. C. 3. C. 4. A, 5. D. 6. A. 7. A, 8. D
TEST 1 D 2 C 3 B 4 C 5 A 6 B 7 D 8 C 9 A 10 B 11 B 12 D
1. 1. secretary 2. lawyer 3. doctor or nurse 4. teacher 5. clerk or salesperson 6. veterinarian 7. firefighter 8. police officer 9. dentist 10. mailman
2. 1. C, 2. B, 3. A, 4. C, 5. B, 6. C, 7. A, 8. A, 9. B, 10 C.
3. Jobs: architect, photographer, pop-singer, captain, computer programmer, engineer, reporter, journalist, mechanic, tennis player.
Actions: design, interview, perform, repair.
Things: buildings, photos, ship, songs, street, programs, machines, matches.
1. 1. teacher. 2. sailor, 3. actor. 4. traveler. 5. collector. 6. liar. 7. beggar, 8. inspector, 9. editor, 10. competitor, 11. translator, 12. director, 13. buyer. 14. donor, 15. worker, 16. instructor. 17. contributor.
5. I can’t believe I had got that apartment. I submitted my application last week, but I didn't think I had a chance of actually getting it. When I showed up to take a look around, there were at least twenty other people who had arrived before me. Most of them had already filled out their applications and were already leaving. The landlord said і could still apply, so I did. I tried to fill out the form, but I couldn't answer half of the questions. They wanted me to include references, but I didn't want to list my previous landlord because 1 had had some problems with him in the past and I knew he wouldn’t recommend me. I ended up listing my father as a reference, it was total luck that he decided to give me the apartment. It turns out that the landlord and my father went to high school together. He decided that I could have the apartment before he had looked at my credit report. I really lucked out!
2) A waiter works in a restaurant.
1) A farmer grows crops.
5) A haidresser cuts people's hair.
3) A baker sells bread.
7) A teacher works in a school.
4) A painter paints pictures.
9) A doctor helps you when you are ill.
6) A dentist looks after your teeth.
10) A singer works in a band.
8) A cook works in a kitchen.
A. Are you looking for a part time job? - We require 3 part time shop assistants to work during the evening. No experience required, applicants should between 18 and 26. Call 366 - 76564 for more information.
B. Computer trained secretaries - Full time secretary position available. Applicants should have at least 2 years experience and be able to type 60 words a minute. No computer skills required. Apply in person at United Business Ltd.. 17 Browning Street
C. Teacher Needed: -Tommy's Kindergarten needs 2 teacher/trainers to help with classes from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Applicants should have appropriate licenses. For more information visit Tommy's Kindergarten in Leicester Square No. 56..
4. Do you have experience working with computers? Would you like a full time position working in an exciting new company? If your answer is yes, give us a call at 565-987-7832.
D. University positions open - The University of Cumberland is looking for 4 teaching assistants to help with homework correction. Applicants should have a degree in one of the following: Political Science, Religion, Economics or History. Please contact the University of Cumberland for more information
9. Mark: Hi Peter! How are you doing these days?
Peter: Oh. Hi Mark. I am not doing very well, actually.
Mark: I’m sorry to hear that. What seems to be the problem?
Peter:... you know I've been looking for work. I can't seem to find a job.
Mark: That's too bad. Why did you leave your last job?
Peter: Well, my boss treated me badly, and I didn't like my chances of advancing in the company.
Mark: That makes sense. A job without opportunities AND a difficult boss isn't very attractive.
Peter: Exactly! So, anyway, I decided to quit and find a new job. I sent out my resume to more than twenty companies. Unfortunately, I’ve only had two interviews so far.
Mark: Have you tried looking online for a job?
Peter: Yes, but so many of the jobs require moving to another city. I don't want to do that.
Mark: I can understand that. How about going to some of those networking groups?
Peter: I haven't tried those. What are they?
Mark: They're groups of people who are also looking for work. They help each other discover new opportunities.
Peter: That sounds great. I'll definitely try some of those.
Mark: I'm glad to hear that. So, what are you doing here?
Peter: Oh. I am shopping for a new suit. I want to make the best impression possible at my job interviews!
Mark: There you go. That's the spirit. I'm sure things will look up for you soon.
Peter: Yes, you're probably right. I hope so!
TEST 1 C 2 A 3 B 4 A 5 D 6 A 7 C 8 B 9 B 10 C 11 A 12 D
1. 1. pastel, 2. stroke, 3. palette, 4. miniature. 5. mosaic
2. 1. artist 2. canvases 3. Mural 4. workshop 5. palette 6. motif 7. replica
3. 1. D) 2. E) 3. B) 4. A) 5. C)
4. 1. E) 2. D) 3. B) 4. C) 5. А)
5. Painting: distinct, big. realistic, colourful
Artist: gifted. accomplished
6. 1. D, 2. В, 3.C, 4. A, 5. B, 6. B, 7. C
7. 1. Compose 2. inspiration 3. palette 4. praised 5. realistic 6. accomplished 7. unique
A 8, B 2, C 11, D 14, E 1, F 17, G 5, Н 3, I 13, J 7, K 4, L 16, M 9, N 15, О 6, P 12, Q 10
6 Picasso went to Rome to work for a ballet company
2 He joined an art academy in Barcelona.
1 Picasso was born in Spain in 1881.
7 During the Spanish Civil War he painted his masterpiece “Guernica".
3 At the turn of the century he went to Paris.
4 During the Blue Period he painted with grey and blue tones.
5 Braque and Picasso started experimenting with cubism.
8 Up to his death in 1973 Picasso lived in South Prance.
TEST 1 B 2 D 3 A 4 B 5 D 6 B 7 C 8 A 9 C 10 D 11 B 12 A
1. 1. F. 2. E, 3. D. 4. A. 5. C
2. A 5, В 2, C 1, D 3
TEST 1. D 2. B 3. A 4. D 5. B
1. suitcases 2 continents 3 better 4 their
2. C1. open 2. reluctance 3. took off 4. arrived 5. first 6. profitable
3. А 1. А, 2. A. 3. A. 4. C, 5. B. 6. B
1. Shoes that coordinate with the rest of the outfit.
2. They fueled up for their long journey home.
3. She whisked the children off to bed.
4. She found it difficult to combine a career and family.
5. They've had to deal with flight delays and all of the other hassles of holiday travel.
TEST 1 C 2 B 3 A 4 D 5 C 6 B 7 C 8 A 9 A 10 C 11 D 12 B
1. 1 assistant. 2 counter. 3 escalator. 4 changing room. 5 shopping bag. 6 queue. 7 sale. 8 trolley
2. 1 assistant 2 I queue 3 escalator 4 changing 5 shopping 6 queue 7 sale 8 trolley
3. 1 C 2 C 3 D 4 C 5 B 6 B 7 A 8 B 9 A
4. 1 B 2 B 3 A 4 C 5 A 6 A 7 A 8 B 9 A 10 B
TEST 1 D 2 A 3 C 4 B 5 B 6 A 7 D 8 B 9 C 10 C 11 A 12 C
1. People: sportsman, athlete, swimmer, referee.
Equipment: racket, club, course, javelin, parallel bars.
Sports and games: athletics, baseball, bowling, cycling.
2. Athletics, canoeing, cycling, gymnastics, javelin, racket, synchronized swimming, track and field athletics. -
3. 1. podium. 2. skiing. 3. gymnastics. 4. snow-boarding.
4. 1. C 2. В 3. A 4 В 5. В 6. A 7. C 8. В 9. C 10. В
5. 1 risky 2 enjoyment 3 action 4 competitive 5 scenery 5 excitement 6 tourists 7 mountainous
6. 1. B. 2. D. 3. A 4. B 5. B 6. В 7. A 8. C 9. A 10. D 11. D
8. 1 B. 2 B. 3 B. 4 B. 5. B 6 C. 7 B. 8 B. 9 C. 10 C.
9. 1 A, 2 A, 3 A, 4 A, 5 B, 6 A. 7 B, 8 B, 9 А, 10 А.
TEST 1 B 2 D 3 A 4 B 5 D 6 B 7 C 8 A 9 C 10 D 11 В 12 A
1. 1 E, 2 C, 3 F, 4 B, 5 A, 6 D
2. 1 A 2 E 3 G 4 F 5 H 6 B 7 I 8 D 9 C
3. 1 drought 2 flood 3 landslide 4 avalanche 5 earthquake 6 aftershocks 7 tsunami
4. 1 B 2 B 3 A 4 B 5 C 6 A 7 C 8 D 9 C 10 D
5. 1. blizzard 2. drought 3. famine 4. earthquake 5. tidal wave or tsunami 6. explosion 7. tornado 8. epidemic 9. pollution
6. 1 C 2 C 3 B 4 C 5 C 6 B 7 B 8 D 9 C 10 C
7. 1. drizzling 2. hurricane 3. puddle 4. Sunscreen 5. lightning 6. foggy 7. thermometer 8. shower 9. 10.
8. A. Hurricane Katrina was one of the most powerful hurricane that has ever been sighted in the Atlantic Ocean. A week after it had formed it hit New Orleans and broke most of the city.
New Orleans lies in a dangerous area because it is in the middle of storms routes and the Mississippi river also flows through the city. In the past years Superdome have been built to protect the city from flooding and pumps were made to drain the water away.
When Katrina hit New Orleans it brought along heavy rainfall and parts of the levee flooded Most of the city's population was evacuated and a few' thousand were able to reach the levees. About a hundred thousand people, mostly poorer ones could not leave the city. They had no electricity and water for many days. Chaos spread through most parts of the town and violence went up.
The city authorities were not well-prepared for the disaster. There were al-most no plans to get people out of the city. President Bush waited for four days before he visited the area. Thousands of people died in one of the biggest catastrophes in American history.
9. 1 C 2 C 3 A
TEST 1 B 2 B 3 A 4 A 5 B 6 D 7 A 8 C 9 A 10 C 11 B 12 A
1. (1) hooked up (2) telecommunications (3) suburbs, 4 monopoly 5 carriers (6) to placecalls (7) competition (8) fee (9) installed
2. 1. install 2. hook up 3. telecommunication 4. software 5. dial 6. long-distance
3. 1. В 2. A 3. A 4. В 5. В 6. В 7. A 8. A 9. В 10. В
4. 1. T 2. T 3. T 4. F 5. F
6. 1. В. 2. А. 3.С.
1. Peter: Ні Jack. Can you give me a hand?
A. Jack: Sure. what’s up?
1. Peter: I’ve just bought a new computer and I’m having some problems hooking everything up.
B. Jack:... and I’m a geek. Yeah. I know. I’d be happy to help.
C. Peter: Thanks! I’ve connected all the cables from my monitor, mouse and keyboard, and I’ve plugged it in. Jack: Have you installed the software yet?
D. Peter: No, I haven't. Do I need to?
Jack: Not always, but it's best to install drivers for your keyboard and mouse, as well as your printer.
2. Peter: Will the computer boot up without those?
3. Jack: Of course. Boot up the computer and then we can update the drives.
Peter: OK. What's that thing (points to a computer component)
E. Jack: Oh, that's a memory reader. You can insert things like SD cards from your camera and mp3 players into it.
TEST В. 1 В 2. C 3. В 4. A 5. A
C. Mass can be turned into light.
ТЕСТИ У ФОРМАТІ ЗНО
6 D 7 E 8 C 9 H 10 В
11 A 12 А 13 В 14 В 15 А
16 A 17 A 18 C 19 A 20 D
21 C 22 A 23 D 24 A 25 A 26 D 27 B 28 A 29 A 30 A
6 H 7 E 8 A 9 D 10 G
11 A 12 В 13 В 14 A 15 В
16 A 17 D 18 C 19 D 20 A
21 A 22 A 23 D 24 D 25 C 26 C 27 A 28 B 29 D 30 A