UNIT 1. PEOPLE AND RELATIONSHIP
WHAT AFFECTS OUR PERSONALITY
Цілі: формувати лексичні навички й навички вимови; вдосконалювати навички читання й усного мовлення; розвивати мовну здогадку й мовленнєву реакцію учнів; виховувати зацікавленість у розширенні своїх знань.
1) Do you have any brothers or sisters?
2) Do you get along well with your brothers and sisters?
3) Are your parents strict?
4) Are you pressured by your family to act in a certain way?
5) Do you get along well with your family?
6) Do you often argue with your mother or father? What about?
Do ex. 1, p. 4.
Do ex. 2, p. 4
► Practise the new vocabulary.
Write out the adjectives from the text with the help of which you can characterize the personality. Make sure that you know the meaning of all these words.
5. Reading and speaking
Do ex. 3, p. 4.
► Practise the vocabulary.
Do ex. 4, p. 4.
7. Reading and speaking
Do ex. 5 (a), p. 6.
8. Listening and writing
Whether you are searching for the ideal date or marriage partner or just someone to work for you part-time, identifying ideal personality traits is the key to successful relationships. Listen to the words below and consult a dictionary if you need a definition. Write a sample sentence for each word to learn how it is used in context.
ambitious — unmotivated
generous — stingy
hardworking — lazy
honest — dishonest
humble — bigheaded
independent — dependent
kind — inconsiderate
nervous — calm
open-minded — close-minded
optimistic — pessimistic
outgoing — shy
punctual — late
reliable — unreliable
talkative — quiet
unselfish — self-centered
I like someone who is______ because ____.
I enjoy being around people who are___ because ____.
I can’t stand people who are_____ because ____.
Complete the sentences below with the best answer:
1) I really like people who are ____ because they always believe that things will work out in spite of difficult challenges.
2) Monica is very ____ and always gives her time and resources to help those who are in need.
3) To be honest, my father can’t stand coworkers who are ____ and won’t consider new ideas or ways of doing things.
Think of three things to describe the ideal boss, roommate, and partner. Use the vocabulary and expressions above to explain your ideas.
Ex. 5 (b), p. 6, ex. 6, p. 6.