UNIT 3. WHY GO TO SCHOOL?
WHAT SCHOOL TEACHES?
Цілі: вдосконалювати навички вживання граматичних часів і 1st Conditionals, навички читання й аудіювання; розвивати пізнавальні інтереси учнів; виховувати відповідальне ставлення до навчання, а також загальну культуру учнів.
1) Why do you think it is that many children don’t like school?
2) What’s the most important thing a school should teach children?
3) What’s the most important thing you learnt at school?
Fill the gaps with the correct tenses.
1) I (learn) ____ English for seven years now.
2) But last year I (not / work) _____ hard enough for English, that’s why my marks (not / be) ____ really that good then.
3) As I (pass / want) ____ my English exam successfully next year, I (study) __ harder this term.
4) During my last summer holidays, my parents (send) ____ me on a language course to London.
5) It (be) __ great and I (think) I (learn) a lot.
6) Before I (go) __ to London, I (not / enjoy) __ learning English.
7) But while I (do) ____ the language course, I (meet) ____ lots of young people from all over the world.
8) There I (notice) __ how important it (be) __ to speak foreign languages nowadays.
9) Now I (have) _____ much more fun learning English than I (have) _____ before the course.
10) At the moment I (revise) _____ English grammar.
11) And I (begin / already) _____ to read the texts in my English textbooks again.
12) I (think)__ I (do) _____ one unit every week.
13) My exam (be) _____ on 15 May, so there (not / be) _____ any time to be lost.
14) If I (pass) _____ my exams successfully, I (start) ____ an apprenticeship in September.
15) And after my apprenticeship, maybe I (go) __ back to London to work there for a while.
16) As you (see / can)___ , I (become) _____ a real London fan already.
Key: 1 have been learning; 2 was not working, were not; 3 want to pass, am going to study; 4 sent; 5 was, think, have learned; 6 went, had not enjoyed learning; 7 was doing, met; 8 noticed, is; 9 have, had; 10 am revising; 11 have already begun; 12 think, will do; 13 is, is not; 14 pass, will start; 15 will go; 16 can see, have become.
Listen to the text and do the task.
The University of East Anglia in Norwich is one of the seven so-called ‘new universities’. It was founded in 1961, and had its first students in 1963. Since 1963 the University has grown fast.
UEA combines the traditional high standards of British universities with an imaginative approach to course design. The academic work of the University is based on thirteen Schools of Study. They are made up of subjects, which are connected with each other. The small group teaching has always been a feature of our courses.
UEA is beautifully situated in 270 acres of park and woodland outside Norwich. The main campus, University Plain, offers everything a student needs, within easy reach. The buildings are modern and have considerable architectural distinction.
The main academic building, known as the Teaching Wall, was designed by the well-known architect Sir Denys Lasdun. It was completed in 1972 and houses nine of our schools of study providing lecture and seminar rooms, offices, laboratories, common rooms and others.
Our oldest building, Earlham Hall, dates back to the sixteenth century. It houses the School of Law, and is located in Earlham Park a short walk from the main campus.
Our two most recent academic buildings the Climatic Research building and the Education building were opened in 1986. They are both designed by the young American architect Rick Mather.
At the centre of the campus is the Square, the main outdoor meeting place. Here students come between classes to talk, to refresh themselves with drinks, or simply to sit at the side of the pond and the little waterfall.
► True or false
1) The UEA includes seven universities.
2) The first students entered the UEA in 1961.
3) The UEA has 13 schools of study.
4) Each school of study is a combination of several subjects.
5) Students are taught in small groups.
6) The UEA is situated in the centre of Norwich.
7) The most schools of study are situated in the main building.
8) The main building is the oldest one.
9) The newest academic buildings are designed by a foreign architect.
10) The Square is the place where students usually meet.
Key: 1 F; 2 F; 3 T; 4 T; 5 T; 6 F; 7 T; 8 F; 9 T; 10 T.
Some friends are planning a party. Everybody wants to party, but nobody’s really keen on preparing and organizing the party. So everybody comes up with a few conditions, just to make sure that the others will also do something.
prepare hover tidy help clean play bring decorate move looks after make let be buy do cut peel organize mix give
Complete the sentences with Conditional I and the words from the box.
1) If Caroline and Sue________ the salad, Phil _____ the house.
2) If Sue ____ the onions for the salad, Caroline _____ the mushrooms.
3) Jane __ the sitting room if Aaron and Tim __ the furniture.
4) If Bob __ up the kitchen, Anita __ the toilet.
5) Elaine ______ the drinks if somebody _____ her carry the bottles.
6) If Alan and Rebecca ______ the food, Mary and Connor ____ the sandwiches.
7) If Bob____________ the barbecue, Sue _____ the guests in.
8) Frank __ the DJ if the others __ along their CDs.
9) Alan __ the drinks if Jane __ him some of her cocktail recipes.
10) If they all ______ their best, the party ____ great.
Key: 1 prepare, will decorate; 2 cuts, will peel; 3 will hover, move; 4 tidies, will clean; 5 will buy, helps; 6 organize, will make; 7 looks after, will let; 8 will play, bring; 9 will mix, gives; 10 do, will be.
What kind of discipline do you think there should be in schools?
What should be there at your school in order for pupils to study well? Write some sentences using Conditional I.