UNIT 5. COMMUNICATION TECHNOLOGIES
COMPUTERS IN OUR LIFE
Цілі: вдосконалювати навички вживання Phrasal verbs і навички вимови, аудіювання, читання й письма; розвивати культуру спілкування й мовленнєву реакцію учнів; виховувати зацікавленість у розширенні своїх знань.
1) What is a computer?
2) What is the best thing about a computer?
3) What is the worst thing about computers?
4) What would life be like without your computer?
5) Do computers ever make you want to pull your hair out (i.e. become very frustrated)?
2. Writing and speaking
► Work in pairs
Make up a list of all the things which are connected with computers. Then say what they are necessary for.
Do ex. 1, p. 77.
Make up and write down your own sentences with the new phrasal verbs.
5. Reading and speaking
Read the text and do the tasks.
Computers have had a great impact on society. Today computers are constantly becoming a part of everyday life. Computers are used in everything from the home PC or laptop to appliances such as microwaves and even our cars. Not only have computers had a great impact on our everyday life, but also on education and the workplace. Computers are used in our appliances, mobile phones, entertainment devices (such as DVD players) and others. It is almost impossible to get through one day without having some form of interaction with computers.
The Internet has had a huge impact on society. It provides information and services, as well as the ability to communicate people all around the world in variety of ways. These range from bulletin boards and chat rooms to voice conversations and video conferencing.
Around the world, the Internet is available to millions of people. Those who don’t have computer or access to the Internet at home will often have access at work or school, or even at the local library. Another added bonus of the Internet is that the majority of the information and services available are free.
The use of computers for educational purposes has been highly beneficial for those involved. From a primary school level, children are taught the basics of computer use, including the Internet. At high school, this continues as children become more and more proficient in using the computer.
It is a tertiary level though, that computers really come into use. News, assignments, tests, lecture notes etc. can be placed on the Internet for stu-
dents who live in remote areas and cannot travel to and from university or other tertiary institution each day. The idea of remote learning can also be applied to a primary school level.
Computers impact every part of our lives. From the home, to the workplace and in education, computers aid us to do what we want. In general, computers are beneficial to the tasks they are applied to. Although computers can cause some problems, such as unemployment and computer viruses, these are far outweighed by the benefits computers provide. Because of this, computers and technology will continue to have an increasing effect on society.
► True or false:
1) Society is much influenced by computers at present time.
2) You can find computers everywhere, even in your car.
3) Computers can be operated by microwaves.
4) DVD player is an entertainment device.
5) The Internet is a source of information only.
6) You can’t watch people and hear their voices trough the Internet.
7) You can get access to the Internet at the local library.
8) Not all the information and services available are free.
9) Children are taught the basics of computer use at a primary school level.
10) Computers can be used in education at a distance.
11) The biggest problem with the computer is poor eyesight.
12) There are more advantages then disadvantages with computers.
► Answer the questions.
1) Have computers become an integral part of our life?
2) Where are computers used?
3) What types of appliances can computers be used in?
4) What is the Internet?
5) How can the Internet be useful for you?
6) What kinds of services does the Internet provide?
7) Where can we get access to the Internet?
8) Is all the information available in the Internet free?
9) How are children taught to use the computer?
10) How can computer be useful education?
11) What are the disadvantages of computer?
12) Does computer continue to have an increasing impact on society?
► Practise the vocabulary
Do ex. 2, 3, p. 78.
1) What would you like computers to do that they can’t do now?
2) What would happen if all of the world’s computers suddenly stopped forever?
Ex. 4, p. 78.