UNIT 6. IS THE EARTH IN DANGER?
IF A DISASTER OCCURS...
Цілі: формувати навички вживання нових лексичних одиниць; вдосконалювати навички читання, аудіювання й усного монологічного мовлення; розвивати пізнавальні інтереси учнів; виховувати готовність правильно поводити себе у екстремальних ситуаціях.
Do ex. 1, p. 99.
► Work in groups.
Discuss your ideas as for human activity. (Checking the homework) Group 1: People’s standard of living should increase because...
Group 2: We should pay more attention to protecting environment because...
► Do the quiz.
1) If a country doesn’t have rain for a very long period, we say it suffers from __.
2) When a disaster occurs, people move to another area or country. What are these people called?
3) When a disaster occurs, people describe the situation using some of the words below. Which word does NOT mean very important?
4) What’s the international request for help used by ship captains and aeroplane pilots if they are having problems?
5) Which of the following words would you NOT expect to hear in a report about a country without food?
6) Which word does NOT fit the sentence? ’In war many people die, but many more are ___ .’
Key: 1 drought; 2 Refugees; 3 inconsequential; 4 Mayday (from the French ’m’aidez’ (help me); 5 abundance; 6 killed.
Do ex. 2, 3, p. 99.
Do ex. 4, p. 99.
Do ex. 5, p. 99.
Choose the best word from the box to complete the following sentences.
combine dams devastating flooding human-made pieces potential prevent snow widespread
CAUSES OF FLOODS
Floods cause ___ damage. Unfortunately, there is little we can do to ___ flooding in some situations. There are several causes for ___ including deep ___ melt, icy rivers, and broken ____. First, when deep snow melts it creates large amounts of water. When heavy rain and sudden warm temperatures ____ with the deep snow, floods can occur. Second, rivers that are covered in ice can cause floods when the ice melts. The ice ___ form dams which break and cause flooding. Third, __ dams can break and cause __ damage. The water from these dams can be as powerful as a tidal wave. Our best plan of attack against flooding is to recognize the __ for flooding in certain conditions.
Key: widespread, prevent, flooding, snow, dams, combine, pieces, human-made, devastating, potential
1) Are you prepared for a disaster?
2) What can you do to prepare for a disaster?
3) Do you know someone who has been in a disaster?
4) How do you think you would react in a disaster?
5) How can we help children who are victims of disasters?
Write a short report about a disaster that has happened somewhere lately.