UNIT 8. DO YOU LIKE SPORTS?
Цілі: формувати лексичні навички й навички вимови; вдосконалювати навички читання й усного мовлення; розвивати мовну здогадку й мовленнєву реакцію учнів; виховувати зацікавленість у розширенні своїх знань.
1) Do you like sports?
2) Do you prefer playing or watching sports?
3) Do you have good or bad experiences with sports at school?
4) What’s your favourite sport?
Do ex. 1, p. 134.
Do ex. 2, p. 134.
Listen to the dialogue and do the task. Do you agree with the woman as for keeping to healthy lifestyle?
Man. Honey, the basketball game is about to start. And could you bring some chips and a bowl of ice cream? And... uh... a slice of pizza from the fridge.
Woman. Anything else?
Man. None, that’s all for now. Hey, hon, you know, they’re organizing a company basketball team, and I’m thinking about joining. What do you think?
Man. “Humph” What do you mean “Humph”. I was the star player in high school.
Woman. Yeah, twenty-five years ago. Look, I just don’t want you having a heart attack running up and down the court.
Man. So, what are you suggesting? Should I just abandon the idea? I’m not that out of shape.
Woman. Well. you ought to at least have a physical before you begin. I mean, it HAS been at least five years since you played at all.
Man. Well, okay, but.
Woman. And you need to watch your diet and cut back on the fatty foods, like ice cream. And you should try eating more fresh fruits and vegetables.
Man. Yeah, you’re probably right.
Woman. And you should take up a little weight training to strengthen your muscles or perhaps try cycling to build up your cardiovascular system. Oh, and you need to go to bed early instead of watching TV half the night.
Man. Hey, you’re starting to sound like my personal fitness instructor!
Woman. No, I just love you, and I want you to be around for a long, long time.
1) What does the man want to do?
a) play basketball with friends from work
b) try out for the company baseball team
c) get in shape and compete in a cycling race
2) What is the woman’s main concern?
a) She is worried her husband will spend too much time away from home.
b) She is afraid her husband will become a fitness freak.
c) She is concerned about her husband’s health.
3) What is the woman’s first suggestion to her husband?
a) He should see a doctor.
b) Her husband should start with a light workout.
c) Her husband needs to visit a fitness trainer.
4) What does the woman advise about the man’s diet?
a) He should consume less salt.
b) He should eat less fatty foods.
c) He should add more protein products to his diet.
5) Why does the man’s wife recommend cycling?
a) It is good for improving muscle tone.
b) It helps strengthen the heart.
c) It helps develop mental toughness.
Do ex. 3, p. 134.
► Practice the new vocabulary.
Find the new words in the text and translate the sentences with them.
Do ex. 4, p. 136.
6. Reading and writing
Do ex. 6, p. 136.
Write down your ideas as for doing sports at school. Is it an important lesson? Why?
Draw your arguments.
Do ex. 7, p. 136.
1) What do you know about sports?
2) What sport is played at Wimbledon? (Tennis)
3) In which country were the 2008 Olympic Games held? (China)
4) What country does the football player Romario come from? (Brazil)
5) What is the most popular indoor sport in the U.S.A.? (Basketball)
6) In which sport was Muhammad Ali the world champion? (Boxing)
7) Which famous golf player’s mother comes from Thailand? (Tiger Woods)
8) What is longest running race in the Olympic Games called? (The marathon)
9) Who won the 2003 British Open golf tournament? (Ben Curtis)
Ex. 5, p. 136.