UNIT 8. DO YOU LIKE SPORTS?
TO WATCH OR TO PARTICIPATE?
Цілі: вдосконалювати навички усного мовлення й читання; розвивати культуру спілкування й мовленнєву реакцію учнів; виховувати правильне ставлення до здорового способу життя.
1) Do you prefer watching sports at the stadium, at home on TV, or in a bar on a giant screen?
2) What sports do you like to watch?
3) What sports do you hate to watch?
2. Reading and speaking
Check ex. 4, p. 144 (homework)
3. Reading and speaking
Read the dialogue and express your attitude to going in for sports. Do you agree with everything what is written here.
— Do you like playing sports?
— No, I don’t. It takes a lit of time and energy. Going in for sports only means to work and to work hard.
— I wouldn’t say that. It is not necessary to become a professional sportsman. You may go in for sports when you have free time. You can swim in summer and go skiing or skating in winter. Sport is very important for our health.
— Why are you so sure? As a result of sport people have broken legs and arms and other injures. Some kinds of sport are really dangerous, for example, rock climbing or parachuting. Besides, sport makes me unhappy when I lose.
— On the contrary, sport can be fun as well. I particularly enjoy playing football with my classmates after classes. There is a sports ground outside our school and we usually go in for sports in the open air. And at our PE lessons we usually play volleyball and basketball.
— I can’t stand taking part in school contests. To be a good sportsman doesn’t suit everyone. If everybody takes part in competitions who will have fun? As for me, I prefer to watch sports programmes on TV. I am a viewer rather than a participant.
— Really? Which sports do you like watching?
— I enjoy watching team sports such as football and hockey. The matches are always exciting. Sometimes I go to the stadium with my friends to support my favourite teams.
— I also like to watch sports programmes on TV. But watching sports events and going in for sports are two different things. Sport helps us to stay in good shape, to keep fit and to be healthy. It make us more organized and better disciplined in our daily activities. Besides, it is a good way to meet people and to make new friends.
— Do you go in for on a regular basis? What is your favourite sport?
— My favourite sport is swimming. I have already been swimming for 5 years and I go to the swimming pool twice a week. It helps me to keep fit and to stay healthy. I hardly ever catch a cold and I never suffer from anything.
► Do the quiz.
1) I’m a little upset because my team ____ last night.
2) If you don’t want to shoot the ball, ___ it.
3) Going to the gym will help you get in ____.
4) The Canadian hockey team ____ six goals against Switzerland.
5) Dwayne Wade was trying to score, but he was ____ by another player.
6) The person who makes sure that a game is played according to the rules is called a ____.
a) rep / representative
b) ref / referee
7) Nancy is a huge ____ of the San Antonio Spurs. They’re her favorite team.
8) The Olympics are ____ every four years.
9) Athletes have to _____ long and hard to achieve success.
10) What is the half-way point of a game called?
Key: 1 a; 2 b; 3 a; 4 b; 5 a; 6 b; 7 b; 8 b; 9 a; 10 b.
5. Reading and speaking
Do ex. 5, p. 145.
1) What do you do to keep fit?
2) What do you think the top five most watched sports are in the world?
3) Do you think everybody should practice sports?
4) Do you think playing sports helps people work better as a team at work?
Ex. 7, p. 146.