Розробки уроків - АНГЛІЙСЬКА МОВА - 11 клас - за підручником О. Д. Карп’юк
UNIT 5. IT’S YOUR PLANET!
LESSON 48. WHAT DOES THE FUTURE HOLD FOR US?
Цілі: вдосконалювати лексичні навички й навички вимови; вдосконалювати навички аудіювання, читання й усного мовлення; розвивати логічне мислення; підвищувати загальну екологічну культуру.
Do you think the Ukrainian government cares more about its economy or the environment?
Which countries are leaders in caring about the environment?
What are the benefits/disadvantages of technical progress? (Homework)
Do ex. 3 (a), p. 133.
Translate the sentences with the words in bold.
Do ex. 3 (b), p. 136.
5. Listening and speaking
Discuss the following questions.
1) What do you know about global warming?
2) Is global warming a problem? Why / not?
3) How do you protect the environment? Please, explain.
Listen to the text and answer the questions.
SAVE THE PLANET
More and more people all over the world realize that global warming is real and a serious problem. Almost everyone agrees that the Earth’s climate has begun to change, as reported by scientists and experts in newspapers, TV programs, and magazines. The summers are hotter. The winters are warmer. As a result, glaciers have become smaller. If this continues, there could be water shortages in the future in Europe and the Americas. In addition, scientists believe deserts will grow much larger in some parts of the world, which means areas of Africa, China, and the Middle East will have little or no water to grow food. Storms will become worse, too. Although we haven’t seen many big changes yet, our children and our children’s children could live in a very different world. They could face many problems in the future.
Governments around the world have taken action to fight pollution and global warming. Unfortunately, they need to do more. In addition, big countries like the US, China, and Russia continue to pollute heavily. All governments must take action with new laws to protect the environment. They must research and develop new technologies, such as wind and solar power. They must pollute less and reuse resources.
Individuals can take action now, though. Here’s how:
✵ Don’t use plastic bags at the supermarket, especially if you use the bag only once and throw it away.
✵ Take a cloth bag that you can use again and again.
✵ Take public transportation like trains and buses as much as possible. Even better, walk.
✵ Use less water at home. For example, when you brush your teeth, turn off the water.
✵ Turn off the lights, computer, TV, and so on when you’re not using them. This will decrease your electricity consumption.
✵ Recycle newspapers, aluminum cans, plastic bottles, and so on.
✵ Organize or participate in a clean-up day in your neighborhood. Help clean the parks, beaches, and land in the area.
1) According to the article, what do more and more people realize?
2) What could happen if glaciers continue to melt?
3) What do scientists believe about areas in Africa, China, and the Middle East?
4) How will global warming affect storms?
5) Have governments taken enough action to fight pollution and global warming?
6) What kind of laws must be created? How about research?
7) According to the article, what action can people take now?
Do ex. 5, p. 137.
Discuss any questions you like.
1) Are you concerned about the present state of the environment? Why / not?
2) Is global warming just a myth to scare people, as some people say? Why / not?
3) Will the lives of our children (or our children’s children) be more difficult because of the damage wrought on the environment now? Why / not?
4) Will humans become extinct because we have irreparably ruined the environment?
5) What environmental problems have you heard about in the news recently?
6) How often do you think about the environment? Is it enough? Why / not?
7) If temperatures continue to rise year after year, how will our lives be different in the near future? How about long term, say 100 years from now?
8) What do you do (or have you done) to reduce global warming? Please explain.
9) In order to protect the environment, your city raises its tax by 25 % for all citizens. How would you feel? What would you do?
Ex. 4, p. 137.