Розробки уроків - АНГЛІЙСЬКА МОВА - 11 клас - за підручником О. Д. Карп’юк
UNIT 5. IT’S YOUR PLANET!
LESSON 49. WHAT’S HAPPENING TO OUR ENVIRONMENT?
Цілі: вдосконалювати лексичні навички й навички вимови; вдосконалювати навички аудіювання, читання й усного мовлення; розвивати логічне мислення; підвищувати загальну екологічну культуру.
Do ex. 6(a), p. 137.
1) What is the quality of the environment in your country?
2) If the environment could speak, what would it tell us?
3) Are you environmentally friendly?
3. Reading and writing
Do ex. 6 (b), p. 137.
4. Vocabulary practice
Do ex. 1. p. 139
5. Reading and speaking
Do ex. 2, p. 139.
Listen to the text and fill in the chart.
HOW IS THE ENVIRONMENT POLLUTED?
The environment is polluted in several ways. For example, smoking, (unnecessary) driving and factories cause a lot of pollution. Plus, there’s acid rain, which has barely a difference from normal rain. You can’t tell until you drink and get sick from it. It’s formed from all our air pollution, as told above. Next, there’s water pollution. It’s one of our biggest problems. When you dump trash and waste in a body of water, you’re polluting the water. The world is made up of 3 % fresh water. 1 % of that water is unpolluted. It may sound crazy, but that’s what happens when you build a factory next to water. This may also sound weird, but there’s noise pollution. If you decide that you want to be the world’s loudest person, and you do or trigger something that is really loud, you’ve just created pollution. It’s not nearly as bad as the other ones, but it’s not good, either. Lastly, there’s land pollution. This is a BIG problem with humans. Every single time you litter, or pour trash on the floor, you’re polluting the environment. Landfills are a good example. You’re burying waste under the ground, but what for? You’re just polluting the Earth even more! Not only does that effect the environment, it kills animals. They dig up the trash, or find it on the ground. If they’re hungry, they’ll probably try to eat it, choking themselves to do so. Pollution has effected many of us as well as animals, plants, and the Earth itself. Soon the whole world will be filled with pollution, and you’ll know when.
Ways of pollution
Create short conversations about the environment using the vocabulary below and try to expand:
Pollution, waste, bag, global warming, herbicide, ivory, box, environment, , elephant, gun, tree, stump, ax, book, paper, bin, windfarms, power, refrigerator, tusk, recycling.
A. What environmental issue are you concerned about?
A. Why ?
A. And what can we do about it?
Do the quiz
1) Exhaust fumes cause a lot of ..., especially in big cities.
2) Everyone should learn to ... (= save) energy. Using lights / lamps only when needed is a good way to do this.
3) Nancy is ... about pollution. This is why she walks to work instead of driving.
4) ... is much healthier than driving, and it doesn’t pollute the air.
5) David conserves water by not letting it... when he’s not using it.
6) I’d like to conserve water... But I feel dirty if I don’t ... three times a day!
7) Many unethical companies ... their waste into rivers.
8) ... , which is partly caused by exhaust fumes from cars, is a very big problem in many big cities across the world.
9) ... rain occurs when pollution in the air is absorbed by water droplets in clouds.
10) Oil... pollute sea water and kill marine life.
Key: 1 b, 2 a, 3 b, 4 b, 5 a, 6 b, 7 a, 8 a, 9 b, 10 b.
What do you think about fines or jail time for people who use too many resources? Would this increase environmental awareness and responsibility? Write down your ideas to discuss them at the next lesson.