UNIT 1. WE NEED INFORMATION
COMPUTERS IN OUR LIFE
Цілі: формувати навички вживання нових лексичних одиниць; удосконалювати навички аудіювання; розвивати логічне мислення; виховувати інтерес до англійської мови.
Answer the questions in Ex. 1, p. 20.
Check Ex. 6, p. 19.
Read the text twice.
I’m Alex and I’m crazy about computer games. I think they are great because you can do everything you wish not only watch. But my mother says that computer games are very bad as there is a lot of shooting and killing there. She also worries that I spend too much time on the computer and that it is bad for my health. It would be better for me to go out or go in for sports or communicate with my friends. I think so too, but what can I do? When I start playing or searching information through the Internet I don’t notice the time. The Internet is very important as news appears on the screen as soon as things happen in real life and you know about it just at the same time. Sometimes the Internet helps me to do my homework. And, of course, I communicate with my friends all over the world sending e-mails with the help of computer. But my mother’s sure that it can’t be good for me just to sit and look at the computer for hours and hours and not to talk to anybody. In future I want to be good at computers and to know everything about them.
Write positive and negative things about computers into two columns.
True or false
1) Alex is fond of computer games.
2) His mother likes these computer games.
3) Spending much time in front of the computer is useful for health.
4) Alex’s mother doesn’t let him to communicate with his friends.
5) Alex spends about two hours on the computer every day.
6) The Internet is very useful.
7) Alex has got friends only in his school.
8) Alex’s mother worries about her son.
Answer the questions.
1) Why does Alex like computer games?
2) Why does his mother worry?
3) What is more useful for health in her opinion?
4) Why is the Internet more useful than, for example, TV?
5) How does Alex communicate with his friends all over the world?
6) What is his dream?
3. Listening and speaking Practise the new vocabulary.
Do Ex. 2, p. 20.
Do Ex. 3, p. 21.
Do Ex. 4, p. 21.
Ask pupils to:
a) look through the words in the cards and choose the necessary ones for the discussion;
I think; I believe; I agree / disagree; to get information; modern computer programmes; educational sites; to send e-mails; to share ideas; play games; to use dictionaries; charts; to discover new things; to check up; to remember different things; to be useful; the quickest way of testing; to prepare a lot; to get the best marks
b) discuss the questions in the exercise;
c) organize feedback and talk about their conclusions with the rest of the class.
Complete the definitions:
1) If you want to start the computer you press ___.
2) If you want to get information you connect to ___.
3) If you are interested in something special, find the necessary ___.
4) If you want to be healthy, don’t sit too close to a computer ___.
5) If you want to give commands to the computer, you use ___.
6) If you want to type something, you use ___.
7) If you want to communicate with your friends in another country, you send ___.
Write some pieces of advice as for safe working on the computer using should /shouldn’t.