UNIT 1. WE NEED INFORMATION
IS IT EASY TO STUDY?
Цілі: вдосконалювати навички вживання лексичних одиниць із теми й навички усного мовлення, аудіювання й письма; розвивати мовленнєву реакцію учнів і культуру спілкування; виховувати позитивне ставлення до навчання.
1) Is English difficult for you, or is it easy?
2) How long does it take you to do your English homework carefully?
3) Have you got a computer? What do you use it for?
4) Does it help you to learn the language?
5) Why is it important to know English?
Listen to the story just for fun and do the task.
Tim was a young sailor. He lived in Scotland, but he was often away with his ship.
One summer he came back from a long voyage and found new neighbours near his mother’s house. They had a pretty daughter, and Tim soon loved her very much. He said to her, «My next voyage will begin in a few days’ time, Jill. I love you, and I’ll marry you when I come back. I’ll think about you all the time, and I’ll write to you and send you a present from every port».
Tim’s first port was Freetown in Africa, and he sent Jill a parrot from there. It spoke five languages.
When Tim’s ship reached New Zealand, there was a letter from Jill. It said, «Thank you for the parrot, Tim. It tasted much better than a chicken».
True or False
1) Tim was often away because he was a salesman.
2) Tim loved the girl who lived next to his mother’s house.
3) Tim promised to marry her before his voyage.
4) Tim promised to send her something from every port.
5) His first stop was in America.
6) Tim bought a parrot for Jill.
7) The parrot could speak different languages.
8) Not far from Australia Tim got a letter from Jill.
9) Jill was pleased with the tasty parrot.
Do Ex. 1, p. 26.
4. Writing and speaking
— Let’s go out tonight.
— OK. Where do you want to go?
— Why don’t we go to the Internet club?
— It isn’t open today.
— OK. Let’s play volleyball.
— Good idea. What time do you want to play?
— At half past five. What about going to the caf now?
— OK. Let’s go.
Give your father a piece of advice how to learn English. Use the prompts: to repeat the material every two or three days, to listen much to memorize the pronunciation, to listen to English songs and watch films, read English books a lot.
6. Reading and speaking
Do Ex. 4, p. 26.
Do Ex. 5, p. 27.
Why is it necessary to study how to use computers?
Is it easier to learn languages with the help of computer? Why?
Write some ideas for and against using computers by children.
Make the project (p. 27).