UNIT 3. BIGGER! STRONGER! FASTER!
IT'S TIME FOR READING
Цілі: формувати лексичні навички; розвивати вміння читати й переказувати; удосконалювати навички усного мовлення; розвивати логічне мислення.
Write any vocabulary words or expressions from the topic on the board then have all the students repeat them as you write them down. Next send one student out of the room and erase one off the words or expressions, then on the count of three have all the students yell «Come on in!!!» The student outside the classroom comes back in and has to guess the right word, but none of the other kids can tell them the answer. Reward the student with a team or individual point.
2. Reading Before you read
Answer the questions.
1) What sport activities do you like most?
2) Do all people need exercises?
3) What kind of exercise is the best to keep fit?
Practise the new vocabulary.
New words to know.
✵ to be proud of — пишатись
✵ to boast — вихвалятись
✵ a decision — рішення
✵ to cross — перетинати
✵ to teach a lesson — провчити
✵ as far as — настільки швидко, наскільки
✵ look around — озирнутися навкруги
✵ to reach — дістатись
✵ against — проти
Ask pupils to read the text for gist and answer the questions.
1) Who wrote the story?
2) What is the story about?
3) What are the main characters?
Ask pupils to read the story again and choose the correct answers.
1) The hare lived not far from the ____.
2) He was good at ____.
3) The hare decided to have a race with ____.
a) another hare
b) his brother
c) a tortoise
4) The finish was ____.
a) at the tree
b) at the bush
c) at the big flower
5) The hare fell asleep because __ .
a) he was tired
b) it was hot
c) he couldn’t run
6) The other hares laughed because __ .
a) the tortoise was the first
b) the hare was very funny
c) the hare had boasted a lot before.
Fill in the gaps.
teach you a lesson boast x 2 laugh cross
as quickly as reach
1) People shouldn’t _____.
2) You should do this work _____ you can.
3) Don’t ____! Or people will _____ at you.
4) If you do bad things, somebody will wish to _____.
5) Don’t _____ this line, it’s dangerous.
6) I was so tired that I couldn’t _____ the finish.
After you read
Answer the questions in Ex. 2, p. 55.
Rearrange the sentences according to the text.
1) The tortoise decided to teach the hare a lesson.
2) It was very hot.
3) The tortoise was the first at the finish.
4) One hare was a great boaster.
5) The tortoise was very clever.
6) The hare thought he was the best runner.
7) All hares laughed at him.
8) The hare overslept so he couldn’t win the race.
Try to retell the story very shortly. Use the pictures in Ex. 3, p. 55.
3. Reading and speaking
Do Ex. 4, p. 55.
What is the best moral of the story? Prove your opinion.
Don’t boast and nobody will laugh at you.
Do Ex. 5, p. 55.
Read text «Sports Day» and get ready to discuss it.