UNIT 3. BIGGER! STRONGER! FASTER!
LET’S BRUSH UP OUR GRAMMAR
Цілі: вдосконалювати навички вживання граматичних структур Present Perfect у мовленні, усного мовлення й письма; вчити співпрацювати в групі; виховувати доброзичливе ставлення до співрозмовника.
Answer the questions.
1) What activity do you do in a pool?
2) What sport does Sasha play? (Any classmate’s name)
3) What things you take to play tennis?
4) What place you visit to watch field events?
5) What athletics events do you like most of all?
2. Reading and writing
Write the text on the board or on the cards then ask pupils to look it through and fill in the words given below.
Swimming, probably, develop, jogging, sports and games, walking, regular, health, suffer, sportsman.
Sport is (1) as old as the humanity itself. All over the world people of different ages are very fond of (2). Sport not only helps people to become strong and to (3) physically but also makes them more organized and better disciplined in their daily life. Sports help people to keep in good (4).
We all need do exercise. Even if you don’t plan to become a famous (5), you still have to practise. (6) exercises give you more energy. That is why many people who (7) from illnesses should take more exercises. The best ones are (8), (9) or (10).
Key: 1 probably, 2 sports and games, 3 develop, 4 health, 5 sportsman, 6 regular, 7 suffer, 8 walking, 9 jogging, 10 swimming.
3. Grammar practice
Explain the rule p. 56.
Write the following words into two columns: a long time, I was a baby, last week, January, four weeks, 2001, five years, an hour, three months, Friday, a week, I was six, last term, seven o’clock, a year, five minutes.
A long time
First, write the day, month and year it is now. Then write new sentences. Use the present perfect simple and for.
1) What day of the week is it now? — It’s ___.
2) What month is it now? — It’s ___.
3) What year is it now? — It’s ___.
Example: My friend has had a computer since yesterday.
My friend has had a computer for a day.
1) I have lived here since 1999.
2) I have known her since last year.
3) My father has had a car since 2004.
4) Kate has had a headache since Friday.
5) I have been at this school since 2003.
6) My mother has worked there since July.
7) This shop has been open since last week.
Look at all the things you haven’t done. Write negative sentences using since and the words below.
Example: see a film / April — I haven’t seen a film since April.
1) do the washing-up / Sunday
2) listen to the radio / last month
3) buy new CDs / last year
4) have good marks / I was ten
5) have a party / my last birthday
6) draw a picture / I was a child
7) do my homework / October
Do Ex. 1, 2, p. 56.
4. Reading and speaking
Read the dialogue, do the task and make up your own dialogues.
Work in pairs. Do Ex. 4,5, p. 57.
1) Why is sport so important in our life?
2) What should people do to keep good health?
3) How does exercise change you?
4) What sports are popular in our country?
5) What is your favourite kind of sport? Why?
Is sport important for you? Write a few sentences about the role of sport in your life.