UNIT 5. ON THE MOVE
Цілі: формувати навички вживання нових лексичних одиниць; удосконалювати навички читання, аудіювання й усного мовлення; розвивати мовленнєву реакцію й пізнавальні інтереси учнів; виховувати зацікавленість у розширенні своїх знань.
Write the words under the headings. Some of them will go in more than one group.
check-in check the oil compartment
delay driver emergency exit flight map
petrol station pilot platform
seatbelt security check coach
ticket collector commuter rush hour
ROAD RAIL AIR
driver compartment boarding pass
Find out the meanings of the words in a dictionary.
seaman to explore
publication trade sailor
Listen to the story and say if it is True or False.
Three countries of Europe were interested in the discovery of America. They were Spain, France and England. Spain sent Christopher Columbus to discover a new way to the East. With three small ships he sailed for three months and in October 12, 1492 he saw land. He thought it was India and gave the name «Indians» to the red-skin men living there. But it was an island not far from the coast of North America.
Many other sailors went out to America. An Italian seaman, Amerigo Vespucci was one of them. He and his men explored the coast of South America and discovered the Ray of Rio de Janeiro, or River of January. They named the place after the month in which they had found the bay. In one of his letters to his friend Amerigo wrote that the new land he had seen must be a new world. After the publication of those letters the new land was named after him — America, the land of Amerigo.
Spain, France and England sent many seamen to the North America. The Spanish came there to look for gold, silver and other metals. The French began a trade in animal skins with the Indians. the English came to live and work there. There were English, French and Spanish colonies in North America in the 16 th and 17th centuries.
True or False
1) Four countries tried to discover new land.
2) Columbus was a Frenchman.
3) The voyage took him three months to get to new land.
4) Columbus landed there in autumn.
5) He understood that he had discovered a new continent.
6) White-skin people lived there.
7) Columbus wasn’t the only man who went out to America.
8) Amerigo Vespucci explored South America in autumn too.
9) Amerigo Vespucci was the first who wrote about America so it was named after him.
10) Spain, France and England had their colonies in North America.
Answer the questions.
1) What countries were interested in the discovery of America?
2) What way did Columbus want to find?
3) What land did he discover?
4) After whom was America named?
5) Why did other countries wanted to discover new land?
3. Reading and speaking
Do Ex. 4, p. 84.
4. Speaking and writing
Do Ex. 5, p. 85.
Practise the new vocabulary chorally and individually in different sentences.
Write down your opinions.
Learn the proverb in Ex. 6, p. 85 and then answer the question:
✵ Do you think travelling helps people to become wiser and healthier?
Listen and read the poem in Ex. 7, p. 85.
Learn the poem in Ex. 7, p. 85.