UNIT 1. WE NEED INFORMATION
WHAT SHOULD WE DO?
Цілі: формувати навички вживання модальних дієслів у мовленні; удосконалювати вміння робити пропозицію та надавати пораду; розвивати культуру спілкування й мовленнєву реакцію учнів.
Do Ex. 1, p. 14
2. Listening Practise the verb can.
Listen to the dialogue and answer the questions.
Linda is depressed. She’s having a party today, but her friends can’t come.
— John, can you go to Linda’s party?
— I’m sorry, I can’t. I have to go to the library.
— What about Tom? Can he go to Linda’s party?
— No, he can’t. He has to fix his car.
— What about Henry and Nancy?
— No, they cannot go to the party either. Henry has to go to the dentist and Nancy has to work tonight.
Linda. Chris, I’m having a party tonight, can you come over?
— Gee, Linda, I wish I could but I can’t. I have to work.
— Oh, well, that’s too bad. It seems that tonight nobody can come.
— Why don’t you plan your party for tomorrow night?
— Good idea! That’s what I’ll do.
1) Why can’t John come?
2) Why can’t Tom come?
3) Why can’t Henry come?
4) Why can’t Nancy come?
5) Why can’t Chris come?
6) Why can’t all her friends come?
Practise the verbs may / might.
Ask your pupils to pretend they are waiting for a famous pop singer to their school but she is not here yet.
Change the sentences using may / might (not):
1) Perhaps her train is late. — Her train may be late.
2) Perhaps she doesn’t know the way.
3) It’s just possible she thinks it’s on another day.
4) Perhaps there’s a traffic jam.
5) Perhaps she’s not feeling well today.
6) It’s just possible she has a good reason.
7) There’s a slight possibility that she doesn’t want to come to us at all.
Do Ex. 2, p, 14.
1) We may buy.
2) I may give him.
3) It might rain.
4) He might not get.
5) I might not go.
6) She may not go.
Practise the verb must. Do Ex. 3, p. 15.
5. Reading and speaking
Do Ex. 4, p. 15.
Practise the modal verbs.
Do Ex. 5, 6, p. 15.
Give short answers.
1) Can you use the Internet?
2) Should I do this work?
3) May I take this book?
4) Could you open the window?
5) Do you have to go to the library today?
6) Does she have to write about this poet?
7) May I ask a question?
8) Must we be back here by 6 o’clock?
9) Should they read this article?
Write some possible answers to the question What are you going to do tonight? (Using may / might)