UNIT 7. WELCOME TO UKRAINE!
HOME READING. THE ARCTIC (P. 162)
Цілі: вдосконалювати навички читання, усного мовлення, уживання в мовленні граматичних структур і лексичних одиниць із теми, удосконалювати навички вимови; розвивати вміння послідовно висловлюватися іноземною мовою; розвивати мовну здогадку; виховувати інтерес до іноземної мови, подорожування.
Brainstorm all words connected with the following key words: the Crimea, the Carpathians, a craft, the Black Sea, a landmark, the Arctic.
Listen to the text and answer the questions:
The coldest hotel in the world is the Ice Hotel in Sweden. Located 200 kilometres north of the Arctic Circle, this four-star hotel is the world’s largest igloo. The temperature outside — and inside — is chilly. Inside the hotel it’s -5°C. Guests sleep on ice beds covered with reindeer skins, watch films on an ice screen, and relax in the ice bar, where even the chairs and drinking glasses are made of ice. There is also an ice church, an ice art exhibition, and an ice theatre. The cold doesn’t seem to stop people from coming to the hotel. About 15,000 tourists visit it each year. Unfortunately, each spring the hotel melts, so each autumn it has to be built it again.
1) Where is the hotel situated?
2) When can you visit it?
3) Why is it very cold there?
4) Why is the hotel popular among tourists?
Give English equivalents:
• важке життя;
• густе хутро;
• утримувати тепло;
Complete the sentences.
1) The stars above the Arctic are called ____.
2) In winter it is _____ there.
3) You can’t cry because your tears ____ on your face.
4) The best transport in the Arctic is ____.
5) Polar bears are not cold because they have _____ .
6) Some animals are safe from other ones because _____.
Answer the questions.
1) Where is the Arctic situated?
2) What is the centre of the Arctic?
3) Why is it so called?
4) Does snow ever melt in the Arctic?
5) How long do nights and days last in the Arctic?
6) Why is it so difficult to use the water in the open air in the Arctic?
7) Where do the Inuit people live exactly?
8) How do people travel in the north?
9) Why do Arctic animals have difficult life?
10) Why doesn’t the polar bear mind the cold?
11) What keeps some animals safe?
12) Why some animals and birds move towards warmer places?
Just for fun. A funny riddle
There is a house with four walls. Each wall faces south. There is a window in each wall. A bear walks by one of the windows. What colour is the bear? / White. If all the walls face south, the house is at the north pole, and the bear, therefore, is a polar bear./
Retell the story from the first person in chain — pupil after pupil, sentence after sentence.
Start like this: Once I found myself in the north. It was very cold...
Make a project (p. 123).