UNIT 8. SAVE YOUR PLANET!
IT'S TIME FOR READING
Цілі: формувати лексичні навички й навички вимови; розвивати вміння читати й переказувати; удосконалювати навички усного мовлення; розвивати логічне мислення.
Write any vocabulary words or expressions from the topic on the board then have all the students repeat them as you write them down. Next send one student out of the room and erase one off the words or expressions, then on the count of three have all the students yell «Come on in!!!» The student outside the classroom comes back in and has to guess the right word, but none of the other kids can tell them the answer. Reward the student with a team or individual point.
Children like to spend their free time in the countryside. But they often don’t keep the rules and don’t take care of it. What do you think of the following rules? Are they silly or wise?
1) Keep the country tidy.
2) Respect the life and work of the countryside people.
3) Keep dogs under control.
4) Take litter home.
5) Water flowers and tree.
6) Put litter away.
7) Clean pavements.
8) Grow flowers and trees.
9) Keep fires under control.
It is a silly rule to...
It is a wise rule to...
Which of these rules is the most important?
The most important rule is to...
Ask pupils to read the text for gist and answer the questions:
1) Who wrote the story?
2) What is the story about?
3) What are the main characters?
Ask pupils to read the story again and say if the statements are True or False.
1) Vicky has lived in the countryside since she was born.
2) She liked to play far away in the forest.
3) There was a lot of rubbish there.
4) She didn’t like it.
5) Vicky decided to do nothing about it.
6) Her friends helped her to keep the area clean.
7) The picnickers left a lot of rubbish and went away.
8) At the lesson the teacher told about the environmental protection.
9) Vicky told the class about her club.
Rearrange the sentences according to the text.
1) They made some picnickers clean the place after their picnic.
2) Her friends liked her idea.
3) Vicky told the class what they had done.
4) After that at the lesson their teacher told them about the problems of the environment.
5) Walking in the wood Vicky wasn’t pleased to see so much rubbish around.
6) Vicky’s class decided to become members of «Clean Up the Countryside Club».
7) Vicky and her friends began to take care of the area around.
8) A great idea came to her.
9) They organize the club.
Key: 5, 8, 2, 9, 7, 1, 4, 3, 6.
Answer the questions in Ex. 2, p. 135.
Make up sentences (Ex. 3, p. 135) and write them down.
Do Ex. 4, p. 135.
Do Ex. 5, p. 135.
Write a short paragraph about your last picnic. Write about:
✵ where you went;
✵ what you did there;
✵ what the place was like after your leaving.