UNIT 9. HELLO, SUMMER HOLIDAYS!
LOOKING FORWARD TO SUMMER
Цілі: формувати навички вживання нових лексичних одиниць і граматичної структури to be going to; удосконалювати навички усного мовлення, аудіювання й читання; розвивати мовну здогадку; виховувати інтерес до іноземної мови, подорожування.
1) Will your school year be soon over?
2) When will the school year be over?
3) What form will you be next year?
4) Would you like to travel in summer?
5) What places would you like to visit?
Listen to the text and do the tasks.
A young Englishman wanted to go to New York. He had little money about him. He booked a ticket and decided to do without meals. On the first day he walked along the deck, looked at the sea and enjoyed his voyage.
When the companions went to the restaurant, he stayed on the deck saying he was not hungry. On the second day he didn’t go to the restaurant either. On the third day the young man was so hungry that he said to himself: «I’m going to eat even they throw me overboard». He ate and drank everything with great appetite. When he finished with his dessert, he said bravely to the waiter: «How much must I pay?» Great was his surprise when the waiter answered: «Nothing, sir. On the ship meals are included in the cost of your ticket». That was the last day of the man’s sea voyage.
True or False
1) The man was from England.
2) He was on a diet, so he did not to eat.
3) On the first day he wasn’t so hungry.
4) On the fourth day he decided to eat even he would be thrown overboard.
5) He had to pay a lot of money for his dinner.
6) After that he had dinner at the restaurant every day.
Answer the questions.
1) Where did the young man go to?
2) Why did he decide to go without meals?
3) How did he feel on the first day?
4) How did he feel on the third day?
5) Why did he decide to go to the restaurant?
6) Why was he surprised?
Practise the new vocabulary.
Using pictures make up as many sentences as you can.
Fill in the gaps.
go camping put up a tent
mosquitoes get a sunburn
make a campfire
1) When we ____ we usually sleep in the tents.
2) It is dangerous to ____ in the dry wood.
3) I can’t sleep well when ____ bite me.
4) Leaving a party you should ____.
5) We often go camping, so I can ____ very well.
6) I like to _____ in the morning.
Do Ex. 3, p. 140.
5. Reading and writing
Read the dialogue in Ex. 4, p. 140 and act it out.
Find the English equivalents to the following words and expressions:
✵ такий сумний;
✵ найкращий спосіб;
✵ ходити в похід;
✵ ставити намет;
✵ готувати їжу;
✵ мити посуд;
✵ розпалювати вогнище;
Make up and write down the sentences with these expressions that you did it last year.
Do Ex. 5, p. 141.
Do Ex. 6, p. 141.
Write a short paragraph about your last camping using the questions in Ex. 6 as a plan.