Розробки уроків - АНГЛІЙСЬКА МОВА 7 клас (за підручником О. Д. Карп’юк) - 2015 рік
Unit 2. AT HOME
Lesson 31. READING
Цілі: перевірити рівень умінь учнів з читання.
Read the text and do the tasks.
WHY DON’T BRITISH SCHOOLCHILDREN WANT TO EAT FRUIT AND VEGETABLES?
There are many problems that British schools are facing today. One of them is making sure that schoolchildren eat healthy food.
Gone are the days when children were thrilled with excitement at the thought of Christmas treats like oranges and tangerines or simple desserts like rice pudding. Nowadays any fruit and vegetables under the sun can be bought in supermarkets all the year round. There is only one problem with that — fruit and vegetables that are bought out of season have very little taste. On the contrary, sugar drinks like Coke and numerous varieties of flavoured crisps are full of flavour — and chemicals additives! Also, most British mums of today work full time and the last thing they want to do when they get home is cook. Supermarkets are here to «help» — pre-package and ready-made meals have filled their shelves.
As a result, many schoolchildren would rather go hungry than eat fruit or vegetables instead of the more familiar crisps, burgers and chips.
There’s nothing wrong with having a can of Coke every now and then but four cans a day is asking for trouble. Did you know that a can of Coke contains about eight teaspoons of sugar and artificial sweeteners? As a result, many modern kids suffer from such illnesses as diabetes, cancer and tooth decay. And, of course, there are more and more children who are extremely overweight.
In Britain, children can either choose to bring their own lunch or buy their lunch at school. Children from poorer families can have free school dinners but many of them don’t take them for various reasons.
Say if the following statements true or false.
1. Many years ago children couldn’t even dream about pineapples.
2. Nowadays you can buy pineapples when you wish.
3. In supermarkets fruit and vegetables are tasty and full of vitamins all the year round.
4. A lot of pre-package and ready-made meals contain chemical additives.
5. Many schoolchildren would rather eat some salad than stay hungry.
6. You should never have Coke. It’s harmful.
7. Coke contains a lot of unhealthy things.
8. Fast food and Coke can cause dangerous illnesses and overweight.
9. In Britain children can have lunch only at school.
Complete the sentences.
Tastiest, illnesses, tastier, chemicals, cooking, healthy
1. Children should have only ... without... .
2. Many years ago fruit and vegetables were ... than nowadays they are.
3. The ... meal is that one which you’ve done yourself just before serving.
4. An ad says: «You have no time for ...? Come to our supermarket — we’ll help you!»
5. Cola can cause many ... .
Answer the questions.
1. Why don’t children like fruit and vegetables nowadays?
2. Why do most mums prefer ready-made meals?
3. What is wrong with Cola?
4. What is the reason of different illnesses and overweight among children?