Розробки уроків - АНГЛІЙСЬКА МОВА 7 клас (за підручником О. Д. Карп’юк) - 2015 рік
Unit 4. LEISURE TIME
Lesson 57. FAMOUS LANDMARKS OF LONDON
Цілі: вдосконалювати лексичні навички и навички вимови; вдосконалювати навички читання, аудіювання й усного мовлення; розвивати логічне мислення і пізнавальний інтерес до вивчення англійської мови; виховувати зацікавленість у розширенні своїх знань і повагу до культури інших народів.
Choose the right answer.
1. What can you find in the City?
a) Saint Paul’s cathedral
b) Westminster Abbey
c) The National Theatre
2. What can you find in the West End?
a) The Bank of England
b) Hampstead Heath
c) Oxford Street
3. Covent Garden is famous for:
a) cafes, clubs and clothes shops
b) the Law Courts
c) a huge park
4. The Prime Minister lives at:
a) 10 Downing Street
b) 10 Dean Street
c) 10 Regent Street
5. The Houses of Parliament are:
a) beside the River Tames
b) next to the Tower
c) in the East End
6. Where can you find dinosaur skeletons?
a) National Gallery
b) Natural History Museum
c) MOMI museum
7. The Tower of London was built by
a) King Edward the Confessor
b) King George IV
c) William the Conqueror
8. The Tower of London was built about
a) 1000 years ago
b) 900 years ago
c) 800 years ago
9. The City is
a) one square mile in size
b) two square miles in size
c) three square miles in size
10. Where can you see the Royal Crown and royal jewellery?
a) in the Tower
b) in the British Museum
c) in Westminster Abbey
Key: 1 a; 2 c; 3 a; 4 a; 5 a; 6 b; 7 c; 8 a; 9 a; 10 a.
Do ex. 4, p. 154.
3. Reading and speaking
Do ex. 1, p. 155.
4. Reading comprehension
Do ex. 2, p. 157.
Key: a T; b F; c F; d T; e T; f Т; g F; h F; I T; j T; h F.
Find the following words and expressions in ex. 1, p. 155 and give Ukrainian equivalents to them.
Medieval cathedral, it took him 35 years, a dome, walk around, whisper, huge building, government, take place, make laws, high-rise building, design, an architect, save energy, heating and cooling, too high, traffic, reopen, destroy, twist, collapse.
Complete the sentences with the words from Vocabulary Box (p. 156).
1. This fantastic ... was painted inside by a great artist.
2. If you are not careful, fire can ... the forest.
3. You don’t have to ..., no one can hear us.
4. New York is best viewed from ... .
5. Mummy baked a ... chocolate cake for me. It was incredible!
6. The dome ... long ago.
7. The house has got the ... and air conditioning system.
8. This fascinating hotel was designed by a famous ... .
9. We couldn’t take our eyes off this ... castle. It was something marvelous!
10. We’re trying to ... money to buy a house.
Key: 1 dome; 2 destroy; 3 whisper; 4 a skyscraper; 5 huge; 6 collapsed; 7 heating; 8 architect; 9 medieval; 10 save.
Listen to the text and do the task.
London was built by Romans in the place where they first crossed the River Thames. They built a city a square mile in size, surrounded it with a wall and called it Londinium. This original sight of London is now called the City of London and is Britain’s main financial centre.
At that time, about 1000 years ago, the Tower of London was built by William the Conqueror. Tower Bridge was built only in 1894.
The City is only a very small part of London, in the eleventh century, London began to expand beyond the City walls when King Edward the Confessor built a huge abbey at Westminster. Even today, Westminster Abbey and the Houses of parliament, as well as all the shops, caf s, theatres and cinemas of the West End, are in the City of Westminster and not in the City of London.
Answer the questions.
1. Who founded London?
2. Why was London built on the River Thames?
3. What area does the City of London cover?
4. What can and what can’t we see in the City of London?
5. Was Tower Bridge built at the same time as the Tower of London?
6. Who built it?
7. When was Westminster Abbey built?
8. Where can we find beautiful shops, caf s and theatres?
Answer the questions.
1. What do you know about the history of London?
2. What are the main parts of London?
3. What places of interest are the most popular in London?
Search for some information about other famous landmarks of London. Write a short paragraph about some of them.