Розробки уроків - АНГЛІЙСЬКА МОВА 8 клас (за підручником А. М. Несвіт) - 2016 рік
Unit 1. MASS MEDIA: THE PRESS
Lesson 10. NAVIGATING THE NEWSPAPER
Цілі: вдосконалювати лексичні й граматичні навички; вдосконалювати навички читання й усного мовлення; розвивати культуру спілкування й мовленнєву реакцію учнів; розвивати пам'ять; виховувати зацікавленість у розширенні своїх знань і позитивне ставлення до читання періодичних видань.
Ask two questions about each headline you’ll hear.
Death of a Legend — Who died?
What did he do?
1. BANK RODDERS GET AWAY
2. Broken wedding plans
3. Thirty killed in London
4. Woman throws away Van Gogh painting by mistake
5. Lost Beethoven symphony found in attic
6. Pope to visit Australia
7. Hijack on BA flight
8. An amazing discovery
9. 100 days at sea
10. ANGRY MOTORIST «RILLS» CAR
11. The Hurricane Has Left Trail of chaos
12. Town’s new swimming pool
13. QUICK-THINKING VAN DRIVER
14. Commuter who talks to strangers!
15. The train not stopping at platform one...
16. Jet Crash — 150 escape
17. Man wins a fortune
18. THE HUTSONS’ BABY IN HOSTAGE TERROR
Do ex. 5, p. 22.
Do ex. 6, p. 22.
Do ex. 7, p. 22.
5. Grammar practice
1. He works . a national newspaper.
a) for b) on c) in
2. He wrote the article . the magazine on a single sheet of paper and posted it immediately.
a) about b) for c) at
3. There was a large headline ... the front page which said Earthquake Shakes Tokyo.
a) at b) in c) on
4. The person ... charge of a newspaper is called the editor.
a) on b) at c) in
5. The text of the speech he gave ... in the article about him published in today’s paper.
a) has included b) has been included c) will be included
6. Since the newspaper changed owners, its circulation ... by nearly 10,000 copies a month.
a) increased b) has increased c) increase
7. An article in today’s newspaper refers to ... interest tourists show in visiting places where TV series are made.
a) a b) - c) the
8. If you ... strong views about something, you can always make them known by writing to the newspaper.
a) have b) had c) will have
9. After reading the front page I always turn to the sports page to find out the ... football results.
a) latest b) last c) later
10. He always read his horoscope every morning to find out what ... to happen to him that day.
a) will b) was going c) is going
Read the text and choose from (a-e) the one which best fits each space (1-5).
Everywhere, everyday exciting things are happening. Each day is filled with news. How are people kept informed?
The press, radio and television keep people informed on all topical issues of the day. The press has great political influence. You can get a lot of useful information from newspaper reports. If you are a regular reader of the press you (1) ... . Newspapers publish articles on home and foreign affairs. Reports by political observers and commentators help us to get useful information on international and domestic issues. Most newspapers come out daily. The reader’s questions, opinions and suggestions, which they (2) ... , help to improve the newspaper and make it more interesting.
The British are great newspaper readers. Newspapers are often thought of as either «qualities» or «populars». The «qualities» give serious accounts of the news and reports on business matters, industry and culture. They are usually large-sized.
The «quality» papers, like The Times, The Guardian and others, are directed at readers (3) ... . «Popular» newspapers appeal to people (4) ... . They are usually with lots of illustrations. Some populars, like The Sun, are note for their sensational stories and photographs. Some newspapers come out only on Sundays:
«Qualities»: The Sunday Telegraph, The Sunday Times «Populars»: Sunday Express, Sunday Mirror
Many newspapers are printed in color, (5) ... . They provide reading material about clothes, cooking, diet, the house and home.
There is a wide variety of magazines in Britain. Their titles show that cater for tastes and interests: British Chess Magazine, Homes and Gardens, Country Life, Do-it-yourself.
a) send in letters to the editor
b) as the part of Sunday or Saturday paper
c) wanting news of a more entertaining character
d) will be well informed about all matters
e) who want full information on a wide range of public matters
Key: 1 d, 2 a, 3 e, 4 c, 5 b.
Answer the questions.
✵ What do «populars» give attention to?
Do ex. 8, p. 22.