Розробки уроків - АНГЛІЙСЬКА МОВА 8 клас (за підручником А. М. Несвіт) - 2016 рік
Unit 1. MASS MEDIA: THE PRESS
Lesson 12. NEWS STORIES
ЦІЛІ: вдосконалювати навички читання, письма, аудіювання й усного мовлення; розвивати культуру спілкування й мовленнєву реакцію учнів; розвивати пам'ять; виховувати зацікавленість у розширенні своїх знань і позитивне ставлення до читання періодичних видань.
Answer the questions.
1. What mass media do you know?
2. Which is the most popular source of information?
3. Why is it popular?
Do ex. 1(a), p. 26.
DO ex. 1 (b), p. 27.
Do ex. 2, p. 27.
DO ex. 3, p. 28.
6. Speaking and writing
DO ex. 4, p. 28.
Write about any newspaper you like using the prompts below:
✵ broadsheet / tabloid / weekly / daily / local
✵ to borrow / to buy / to subscribe
✵ serious / not reliable
✵ politics, economic, international news / local news / about culture / school life / teenagers / sport / music / celebrities / weather forecast / crossword, horoscope, puzzle
✵ photos / intriguing headlines
✵ I love to read this newspaper because...
8. Listening and speaking
Listen to the text about the American press and answer the questions.
1. What was the most prestigious newspaper at the turn of the 20th century?
2. What role did the New York Times play in the American life in the 19th century?
3. What are significant American newspapers?
4. What things are the most materials of newspapers and magazines devoted to nowadays?
Most journalists consider the New York Times the nation’s most prestigious newspaper. Under Adolph S. Ochs, who bought the paper in 1896, the Times established itself as a serious alternative to sensationalist journalism. The paper stressed coverage of important national and international events a tradition which still continues. For many years the Times has been as a major reference tool by American libraries and standard reading for diplomats, scholars and government officials.
«The New York Times» is only one of many daily newspapers that have become significant shapers of public opinion. Among the most prominent are the «Washington Post», the «Los Angeles Times», the «Boston Globe» and the «Christian Science Monitor». The «Miami Herald», for instance, responded to the needs of Spanish-speaking residents by presenting expensive coverage of Latin America and printing a separate Spanish edition. Satellite technology has made possible the first genuinely nationwide newspapers- from the sober, thorough business paper, the «Wall Street Journal», to the bright colors and personality orientation of «USA Today».
But the largest readerships were won by magazines that catered to Americans’ increasing leisure time and appetite for consumer goods, such as «cosmopolitan», the «Ladies Home Journal» and the «Saturday Evening Post». Publishers were no longer just selling reading material: they were selling readers to advertisers.
Discuss the situation with advertising in newspapers and magazines.
1. Do you think that there are a lot of adverts in periodicals?
2. Why does it happen so?
3. Is there the similar situation in Ukraine?
Writing a news report
Before writing think an interesting event. Then fill in the information below.
Reason for the vent...
When and where it took place...
Who was there...
What they did...
The result was...
What happened in the end...
Answer the questions.
1. What is the role of newspapers in society?
2. Which newspapers in Ukraine can be called the leading ones? Why?
3. Why are people so interested in the private lives of celebrities?
4. Do you think that the media covers too much bad news and not enough good news? What was the last «good news» story you heard?
Do ex. 5, p. 28.
Read the story (p. 155-157).