Розробки уроків - АНГЛІЙСЬКА МОВА 8 клас (за підручником А. М. Несвіт) - 2016 рік
Unit 3. BOOKS AND WRITERS
Lesson 34. A VARIETY OF GENRES
Цілі: вдосконалювати навички усного мовлення й читання; формувати навички вживання нових лексичних одиниць; прищеплювати любов до читання; розвивати культуру спілкування й мовленнєву реакцію учнів; виховувати зацікавленість у розширенні своїх знань.
Put the following words in the correct columns:
✵ a reference book,
✵ a booklet,
✵ a novel,
✵ a drama,
✵ a guide book,
✵ a dictionary,
✵ a poem,
✵ a tale,
✵ an encyclopedia,
✵ a textbook,
✵ a rhyme,
✵ an essay,
✵ a fable,
✵ a story,
✵ an instruction,
✵ a technical description.
2. Reading and speaking
Do ex. 4, p. 64.
3. Vocabulary practice
Complete the sentences with the words from the box.
Consult, catalogue, in general, made-up, contains, fiction, title, non-fiction
1. I’ve read one of her books, but I can’t remember the ... .
2. I want to ... my lawyer before I say anything.
3. His first novel won a prize for modern ... .
4. There is a new ... of all the books in the library.
5. The books in the library are divided into fiction and ... .
6. ... , more than two hundred students study in this library every day.
7. It’s a ... story. It isn’t true. I don’t believe a word of it.
8. This library ... a number of ancient manuscripts.
Key: 1 title, 2 consult, 3 fiction, 4 catalogue, 5 non-fiction, 6 In general, 7 made-up, 8 contains.
Read a piece of information about books from an Internet forum. Discuss the reasons why a person likes reading so much. Share your ideas as for your attitude to reading.
I have many friends at school and I love to play with them. In my neighbourhood also there are many children who are my friends. But although I value their friendship a lot, I have another friend who is the dearest of all. That friend is my library.
I have built a little library of my own at home. Ever since I was born my parents have been collecting books for me. It began with books teaching the alphabet.
Then came numbers. Gradually I had books with short stories. My mother used to read them to me at bed time. Now I have fairy tales, folk tales from different parts of the world, fun books, and books on geography, science, history and literature, all of which are presented in the form of a story.
I love books. On my holidays I pick up any book and get so engrossed in it that I often forget to eat. My mother has to yell at me to have my lunch. At times my friends come over, but if I am busy reading an interesting story I hate to put down my book to play with them.
I often borrow books from my friends and school library. Books hold a great charm for me. I find that I know a lot about various things, whereas my friends, who don’t read books at home, don’t know half the things that I do. They love to hear the stories that I read. Some of my friends too have started enjoying reading books now.
Most of my relatives and friends know that the best birthday gift that they can give me is books and with their generosity. I have over a hundred books in my personal library now.
Do ex. 5, p. 65.
Do ex. 6, p. 65.
Do ex. 7, p. 65.
Questions for discussion:
1. What’s your favorite book? What kind of books do you like most? (Mystery, detective, science fiction, ...)
2. Who is your favorite writer?
3. What was the name of the last book you read? Whatwasitabout?
4. How often do you read books? How many hours a week do you read?
5. What is the longest book you have ever read? How many pages is it? How long did it take you to finish reading it?
6. Have you ever thought about writing a book? What would it be about?
7. Is there a book you never finished reading it? Why?
8. Do you lend books to your friends? Why? Why not? Do you borrow books from them?
9. Do you prefer to read a book or watch a film?
Do ex. 8, p. 65.