Розробки уроків - АНГЛІЙСЬКА МОВА 8 клас (за підручником А. М. Несвіт) - 2016 рік
Unit 4. LISTENING TO MUSIC
Lesson 44. MUSIC STYLES
Цілі: вдосконалювати навички вживання нових лексичних одиниць; вдосконалювати навички усного мовлення й аудіювання; розвивати мовну здогадку й мовленнєву реакцію учнів; розвивати пам'ять; прищеплювати любов до музики; виховувати зацікавленість у розширенні своїх знань.
Let’s talk about your preferences.
1. What do you like more? (Opera, ballet, folk, pop, ...)
2. Have you ever seen (heard)...?
3. How often do you go to different performances (concerts, operas, ballets)?
4. Who do you prefer to go there with?
5. What music styles do you like most of all?
6. Is there anybody who you are crazy about?
7. What kind of music are you interested in?
Do ex. 1, p. 92.
3. Vocabulary practice
Choose the correct answer.
1. There are many music clubs on the Internet where you can ... mp3 files legally for a small fee.
a) dance b) dislike c) download
2. The reason why she loves this rock group is because the music has ... .
a) a good beat b) a concert c) an mp3 player
3. If you read and understand the … of the song, you can better understand its message.
a) stereo b) music review c) lyrics
4. Don’t you think the Maestro ... the orchestra well?
a) played b) conducted c) sang
5. He beat the ... like a madman!
a) the drums b) the trumpet c) the violin
6. John Lennon ... the lyrics to many of the Beatles’s best songs.
a) performed b) conducted c) wrote
7. Jazz musicians almost always ... their solos.
a) sing b) improvise c) play
8. Most professional musicians ... their instruments up to five hours a day!
a) conduct b) play c) perform
Key: 1 c, 2 a, 3 c, 4 b, 5 a, 6 c, 7 b, 8 b.
Do ex. 2, p. 92.
Do ex. 3, p. 92.
Do ex. 4(a), p. 93.
Do ex. 4 (b), p. 94.
Listen to the text and do the task.
Jamaican-born DJ KoolHerc moves to New York in the late 60’s and brings Jamaican tradition of “kindling” with him. It included a story consisting of rhymes which were created while singing without any preparation. He used turntables for mixing two tracks to create a new sound. He used to speak from the stage such things as “Throw your hands in the air. And wave’em like ya just don’t care!” Such manner to perform became known as “rapping” then.
Grand Wizard Theodore was the first DJ who used scratching. He invented it by chance. Practising in DJ’s art he turned on music too loudly. When his mother began shouting he slowed down the record by moving a vinyl record back and forth with the hand while it is playing on a turntable that created incredible effect. He was awarded International Turntable Foundation Prize for creating scratching.
While scratching is most commonly associated with hip hop music, since the 1990s, it has been used in some styles of pop and new metal. Within hip hop culture, scratching is one of the measures of a DJ’s skills, and there are many scratching competitions. In recorded hip-hop songs, scratched hooks often use portions of different rap songs.
True or False.
1. Well-known DJ KoolHerc was born in New York.
2. It took him some time to create a new song.
3. He spoke his songs not sang.
4. Grand Wizard Theodore made scratching sound to please his mother.
5. He was appreciated for his scratching.
6. Scratching has become a part of hip hop culture.
7. DJs have got many opportunities to introduce their skills.
Key: 1 F, 2 F, 3 T, 4 F, 5 T, 6 T, 7 T.
Answer the questions.
1. What kind of music do you listen to when you want to dance?
2. What kind of music do you listen to when you are sad?
3. How often do you listen to music?
4. When was the last time you bought a song or album?
5. Do you usually buy albums online or CD’s from the store?
Do ex. 1-3, p. 174-177.