Розробки уроків - АНГЛІЙСЬКА МОВА 8 клас (за підручником А. М. Несвіт) - 2016 рік
Unit 5. COUNTRIES, PEOPLE, LIFESTYLE: THE UK AND UKRAINE
Lesson 59. THE LAND OF GREAT BRITAIN
Цілі: вдосконалювати навички вживання артиклів з географічними назвами; вдосконалювати навички усного мовлення й читання; розвивати мовну здогадку й мовленнєву реакцію учнів; розвивати пам'ять та пізнавальні інтереси учнів; виховувати інтерес до вивчення іноземної мови.
Look at map and say where the following places are situated:
• the clyde,
• Lake District,
• Cheviot Hills,
• Yorkshire Moors,
2. Vocabulary practice
DO ex. 1, p. 131.
DO ex. 2 (a), p. 131.
Key: 1 C, 2 E, 3 B, 4 G, 5 A, 6 D.
DO ex. 2 (b), p. 131.
5. Grammar practice
Revise the rule as for usage the definite article “the” with geographical names.
Do ex. 4, p. 133.
More practice. Put in “the” or “-”.
1. They visited a village in ... Andes.
2. Have you ever seen ... Mount Fuji?
3. ... Azores are a group of islands in the Atlantic.
4. She went to ... United Kingdom to study English.
5. They drove round . corsica.
6. ... Australia is a really enormous place.
7. What countries share a border with ... Norway?
8. ... Greece gets very, very hot in the summer.
9. ... Baffin Island is part of Canada.
10. I’ve never been to ... United States.
11. We went to ... Republic of Ireland and stayed in Dublin.
12. ... Mount Everest is the highest mountain in the world.
13. She always loved skiing in . Alps.
14. He used to work in . India.
15. I often go on holiday to ... canary Islands.
16. Does . England have many big cities?
Key: 1 the, 2 -, 3 the, 4 the, 5-, 6 -, 7 -, 8 -, 9 -, 10 the, 11 the, 12 -, 13 the, 14 -, 15 the, 16 -.
Fill in a, an orthe where necessary.
(1) ... United Kingdom of (2) ... Great Britain and (3) ... Northern Ireland is the official name of the state which is situated on (4) . British Isles. The UK is (5) . island state. The main islands are separated by (6) ... Irish Sea. The UK is separated from the Continent by (7) ... English Channel and (8) ... Strait of Dover. It is washed by (9) ... Atlantic Ocean in the north and (10) ... North Sea in the east. The capital of the UK is (11) ... London. (12) ... English is the official language.
There are (13) ... lot of rivers in (14) ... Great Britain. The most important river is (15) ... Thames. (16) ... Ben Nevis in (17) ... Scotland is the highest mountain. There is (18) ... saying that Britain doesn’t have (19) ... climate, it only has (20) ... weather.
7. Vocabulary practice
Put each of the following adjectives in its place in the passage below.
Wet, hot, freezing, cold, clear, dry, mild, changeable, warm, cloudy
I always watch the weather forecast on television to see what tomorrow’s weather will be like. In England the weather changes very often. It’s very (1) ... . Sometimes it rains for a day or two, but after the (2) ... weather, often with noisy thunderstorms, it is sometimes (3) ... for a long time, with no rain at all.
On some days the sun shines and the sky is (4) ... , but on other days it is so (5) ... that you can’t see the sun. The summers aren’t usually very (6) ... but the temperature usually reaches 25 C, so it’s quite (7) ... . In winter it is sometimes quite (8) ... and pleasant but sometimes it’s very (9) ... or even (10) ... . The climate isn’t very good for holidays but it makes the countryside green.
Key: 1 changeable, 2 wet, 3 warm, 4 clear, 5 cloudy, 6 hot, 7 dry, 8 mild, 9 cold, 10 freezing.
Listen to the text and do the tasks.
Bristol is not a very large port. It is smaller than Plymouth, Liverpool, Portsmouth and Dover, but it is very beautiful.
The port of Bristol became rich in the nineteenth century by importing sugar, rum and tobacco and also by exporting slaves. It is still a rich city and is now the centre of the aviation industry. Rolls Royce makes airplane engines just outside Bristol.
Bristol is divided into two parts. One of them is the port on the Avon with narrow streets, old churches and half wooden houses. It has a wooden eighteenth century theatre untouched since those days.
This was the port from which many ships sailed in Elizabeth’s reign. The 18th century stone houses climb up the hills to the second part of Bristol. This part is more modern and it has many fine houses built of pink stone and many wonderful monuments and churches. Bristol has a collage named Collage Green, the University, the art gallery and some museums. The University building has a very high tower from the top of which you can see Collage Green, many churches and Park Street.
True or False.
1. Bristol is a new city.
2. Bristol is the centre of the aviation industry.
3. Bristol is situated on the river Thames.
4. There are no churches in this city.
5. In the modern part of Bristol houses are built of pink stone.
6. You can find the art gallery in Bristol.
Complete the sentences.
1. The port of Bristol became rich ... .
2. Just outside Bristol Rolls Royce makes ... .
3. Bristol is divided into ... .
4. Bristol has a wooden ... .
5. The second part of Bristol has many wonderful ... .
6. The University building has a ... .
Do ex. 5, p. 133.
Do ex. 6, p. 133.