Розробки уроків - Англійська мова 8 клас за підручником О. Д. Карп’юк - 2016 рік
Unit 3. YOUR SCHOOLTIME
Lesson 35. BIOGRAPHIES
Цілі: формувати навички вживання нових лексичних одиниць; удосконалювати навички читання, аудіювання й усного монологічного мовлення; розвивати пізнавальні інтереси учнів; виховувати зацікавленість у розширенні своїх знань і позитивне ставлення до читання.
Make a chain.
P1. I’ve read an adventure novel “Robinson Crusoe” by Daniel Defoe, a famous English writer. And what about you? Have you read any interesting book lately?
P2. Yes. I’ve read a historical novel “Rob Roy” by Walter Scott, a famous Scottish writer. And what about you? Have you read any interesting book lately?
P3. Yes. I’ve read a detective story...
Tell the class a few sentences about:
• books you like to read;
• where you take them;
• who helps you to choose a good book.
3. Reading and speaking
Do ex. 7, p. 119.
Answer the questions.
1. What genres do these writers present?
2. Did all of them have pen-names?
3. Why do you think their works have been popular for a long time?
4. Listening and speaking
Do ex. 6, p. 127.
Fill in the chart.
won a scholarship
completed a book and several plays
his son was born
Winnie-the-Pooh was published
Milne died, 30 years later after publishing Winnie-the-Pooh
• 1882 — was born in London
• 1893 — won a scholarship
• 1919 — completed a book and several plays
• 1920 — his son was born
• 1923 — began to work on a collection of poems for children
• 1924 — “When we were young” was published
• 1926 — Winnie-the-Pooh was published
• 1939 — his autobiography was published
• 1956 — Milne died
Do ex. 7, p. 128.
6. Vocabulary practice
Fill in the gaps with the new words from p. 48.
1. The incredible beauty of the place ... him to create this masterpiece.
2. O’Henry became famous ... his short stories.
3. ... doesn’t come to you if you do nothing.
4. If you work hard, you can ... a great success.
5. Byron ... the great popularity when he was 24.
6. Milne hoped to prove his success writing novels and ... .
7. I have no ... to write even a word.
8. It’s very ... of you to spend all your weekends helping these old people.
Key: 1 inspired, 2 due to, 3 The success, 4 achieve 5 achieves, 6 essays, 7 inspiration, 8 noble.
Work in pairs
Ask and answer questions to find the missing information.
Jack London was born in ... in San Francisco, California. His family was very poor, so Jack had to leave school ... . In 1897 he went to Alaska to find gold. Instead he found ... there.
He is best known for his book, The Call of the Wild, the story of ... . His writings were very popular and he became rich and famous before the age of 30.
When ... ? (...was he born?)
Why ... ? (...did he leave school?)
What ... ? (...did he find in Alaska?)
What ... ? (...is the book The Call of the Wild about?)
Jack London was born in 1876 in ... . His family was very poor, so Jack had to leave school to make money. In ... he went to Alaska to ... . Instead he found ideas for his stories there.
He is best known for his book, The Call of the Wild, the story of the adventures of a dog in the frozen north. His writings were very popular and he became rich and famous ... .
Where ... ? (...was he born?)
When ... ? (...did he go to Alaska?)
Why ... ? (...did he go to Alaska?)
When ... ? (...did he became rich and famous?)
Do ex. 6, p. 119.
Write a short paragraph about your favourite book characters using the words from ex. 5, p. 131.