Країнознавство США І семестр - ПЛАНИ-КОНСПЕКТИ УРОКІВ - 2016 рік
ДИДАКТИЧНІ МАТЕРІАЛИ ДО СПЕЦКУРСУ «КРАЇНОЗНАВСТВО США». ПЛАНИ-КОНСПЕКТИ УРОКІВ
LESSON 15-17 Conference "Outstanding American Presidents'" "Elimination of slavery'" "Great Depression". Terminal test. Additional lesson
Task 1. Read the text, fill in words from the box in the gaps.
Terror, set up, bitter, stood up reborn, lynched, supremacy, disband, violence, feathered, tarred, dedicated, provoked, escalated, to heel, peaked, exists
THE KU KLUX KLAN
Defeat in the Civil War was (1) ... for many in the South. They deeply resented the emancipation of the slaves and the granting of equal rights to blacks. In 1866, former Confederate general Nathan Bedford Forrest (2) ... the Ku Klux Klan, a secret society (3) ... to the cause of white (4) ... It waged a campaign of (5) ... against blacks. Southern blacks who (6) ... for their new-won rights had their homes and crops burned; many were (7) ... and (8) ... , (9) ... or (10) ... . By 1869 thell) ... had (12) ... to the point where Forrest felt obliged to (13) ... the organisation. But the terror continued, until in 1871 Congress passed the Ku Klux Klan Act giving the federal authorities powers to bring the terrorists to (14) ... .
The Ku Klux Klan was (15) ... in 1915. By then it was anti-Semitic, anti-Catholic and anticommunist as well as antiblack. Its membership (16) ... at over 4 million in the 1920s, then waned during the Depression of the 1930s. The Civil Rights campaigns of the 1950s and 60s (17) ... a Ku Klux Klan backlash.
The Klan still (18) ... , though it is nothing like as strong as it once was.
Task 2. Join the dates with events.
a) The Ku Klux Klan was reborn
b) Congress passed the Ku Klux Klan Act giving the federal authorities powers to bring the terrorists to heel
c) the violence had escalated to the point where Forrest felt obliged to disband the organisation
d) Nathan Bedford Forrest set up the Ku Klux Klan
Task 3. Answer the questions.
1. What provoked the appearance of the Ku Klux Klan?
2. What happened with black Americans who stood up for their new — won rights?
3. How long did terror continued?
4. When was the Ku Klux Klan reborn?
5. Does it still exist?
Task 4. Complete the sentences with appropriate words.
1. The heart of the USA is ... .
a) a coastal plain b) a vast interior plain
c) the cotton belt d) the Cordillera
2. The longest river in the USA is ... .
a) the Mississippi b) the Rio Grande
c) the Tennessee d) the Missouri
3. ... , a high discontinuous chain of mountains stretching from Alaska down to Mexico, rise sharply from the Great Plains.
a) The Rocky Mountains b) The Sierra Nevada
c) The Appalachian Mountains d) The Cascades
4. Most of the country has a ... climate.
a) dry continental b) humid continental
c) mild continental d) humid subtropical
5. The national anthem of the USA is ... .
a) “America, the Beautiful”
b) “E Pluribus Unum”
c) “God Save the King”
d) “The Star-Spangled Banner”
6. The term “separation of powers” refers to the ... .
a) state powers and duties not given to the central government
b) division of a legislature into two houses
c) division of authority among legislative, judicial and executive branches of government
d) creation of a national capital that is not part of any state
7. The first 10 amendments to the USA Constitution are called the . .
b) Articles of Confederations
c) Bill of Rights
d) Separation of Powers
8. The beginning of the industrial revolution in the USA can be dated at about 1790 with the emergent ... industry.
a) metallurgical b) manufacturing
c) cotton d) food
9. The basis of capitalist development in the USA was very considerably widened by ... as a sphere of investment.
a) new contacts with European countries
b) the conquest of the South
c) finding colonies
d) developing new industries in the North
10. The USA must import much of the... it uses.
b) high-technology equipment
11. ... has two major centers for trading financial products.
a) Chicago b) New York
c) Washington d) Housto
LESSON 17 Additional lesson