Підручник Англійська мова 5 клас для спеціалізованих шкіл з поглибленним вивченням англійської мови - Л.В. Калініна - Генеза 2018 рік
Unit Five: School Life
5:2. What do you like to do in your English lessons?
to have a good command
For instance, …
Time flies …
to develop one’s skills
to feel uneasy
to type a message
to send sth by e-mail
Frankly speaking, …
I. Conversation Warm-up
In pairs, look at the words and discuss the things you do in your English lessons.
Example: We read interesting stories in our English lessons.
II. Pronunciation Warm-up
Listen to/read the English lesson chant and practise the sound /ju:/. Answer the questions of the chant.
THE ENGLISH LESSON CHANT
Do you often have your English?
Yes, I do.
Yes, I do.
Do you always use computers?
Yes, I do.
Does your teacher play the music?
Does she tell you any stories?
Does she sometimes draw you pictures?
Yes, she does.
Yes, she does.
III. Grammar Smart
1. Look and recall!
Для того, щоб правильно переказати, хто що каже про теперішній час, вживай теж теперішній час, але у відповідній особі.
Ann says, «J adore English».
Ann says that she adores English.
• Play a grammar chain game.
Example: A: I like to learn foreign languages.
B: What does Ann say?
C: She says she likes to learn foreign languages.
D: I can read fairy tales in English. …
2. Read and remember!
Для того, щоб правильно переказати, хто що сказав про теперішній час, дотримуйся узгодження часів, тобто замість дієслова у теперішньому часі вживай дієслово у минулому часі.
Ann said, «I adore English». (Present Simple)
Ann said that she adored English. (Past Simple)
3. Tell your friends about it as in the example:
Example: My teacher said, «I want to help you develop your writing skills». →
My teacher said that she wanted to help me develop my writing skills.
1. My deskmate said, «Time flies in the English lesson».
2. My mother said, «All things are difficult before they are easy».
3. Steve said, « I like PE much better».
4. Helen said, «I am a member of the dancing group».
5. Steve said, «I can send you e-mail messages from time to time».
6. Ann said, «I study French at school».
4. Say the same about yourself now.
Example: You said that you could communicate with your friends in English. →
I can communicate with my friends in English.
1. You said that you had a good head for languages.
2. You said that you liked to role-play dialogues in your English lessons.
3. You said that you sometimes had your English lessons in the computer lab.
4. You said that you could type a message in English.
5. You said that you liked to communicate with your English teacher a lot.
IV. Word Smart
1. Study these words and describe:
• your activities in the English lesson;
• your feelings about language studies.
English lesson activities
Feelings about language studies
• to understand cartoons
• to read fairy tales
• to write personal letters/greeting cards
• to communicate with smb in English
• to role-play the dialogue
• to type a message
• to send an e-mail
• to play a language game
• to adore sth
• to be fantastic
• to have a good command of English
• to be a sociable person
• to feel uneasy
Example: We often communicate with our teacher in English.
2. Fill in the word forks and use the word-combinations to describe the picture (p. 154).
3. Answer the questions and say what you like to do in your English lesson.
- What do you usually do at your English lesson?
- What English lesson do you call ’unusual’?
- What language learning activity is absolutely fantastic to you?
- What helps you to have a good command of English?
- When do you feel uneasy in the English lesson?
Make a list of what you have listened to/read/talked about/written in your English lesson this week.
Go to Ex. 86-87 of your Workbook
V. Time to Read
1. Read Ann’s description of her English lesson and say what makes it interesting to learn foreign languages.
MY ENGLISH LESSON
They say I have a good head for foreign languages - English and French. I started to learn English four years ago. I adore this language and have a good command of it. I can already understand something in English - cartoons, «Horton», for instance, read fairy tales - «The Wizard of Oz» is my favourite, - write personal letters and greeting cards, and communicate with my classmates in English.
My teacher of English is a very sociable person. She helps us to develop our speaking and writing skills. We often role-play dialogues, sing English songs and play language games. Time flies at our English lesson.
Yesterday, we had an unusual English lesson - guess where? - in the computer lab. We typed messages to our international friends from Rugby school and sent them by e-mail. My teacher said that we were in a truly global classroom. It was fantastic!
Today I had my first lesson of French. Frankly speaking, I felt uneasy because French sounds so different. My French teacher says that all things are difficult before they are easy.
I hope that my experience in learning English will help me with my French.
«Horton» - популярний американський мультфільм про життя доброго слона та звірів у джунглях
«The Wizard of Oz» - дуже популярна дитяча книга автора Френка Баума та та її голлівудська екранізація
Rugby School - відома незалежна школа у місті Rugby, графство Warwickshire
2. In the text «My English Lesson», find the sentences or their parts similar in meaning to the following.
Example: I like the English language very much. →
I adore this language.
1. I can talk with my classmates in English.
2. Our English teacher is a communicative person.
3. She teaches us to speak and write.
4. We often make up dialogues.
5. I didn’t feel good at the French lesson.
3. In the text «My English Lesson», find the nouns which go well after these verbs and make up sentences with them.
Use: to read, to play, to write, to type, to sing, to send, to role-play, to learn.
Example: to understand … cartoons
4. Give illustrations as in the example.
Example: I have a good command of English: → I can understand
English cartoons, communicate with my friends and write letters in English.
1. Our teacher helps us to develop our speaking skills: …
2. We had an unusual English lesson yesterday: …
3. I felt uneasy at my first lesson of French …
4. Time flies at our English lesson: …
5. All things are difficult before they are easy: …
VI. Time to Communicate:
1. Act as Ann and say how much you enjoy your English lesson.
time flies …
to adore sth
to have a good command of sth
to sing songs
to play games
2. In pairs, role-play the conversation between you and one of your classmates about your English lessons.
A: Look here, … you have a good command of English. Where … , I wonder?
В: I adore …. They say I have a good head for ….
A: What can you …?
В: I can already … , … - and … in English!
A: It’s fantastic! And what helps you …?
B: Oh, twice a week we … and ….
A: Frankly speaking … because …. But my teacher says that’s all things are difficult.
VIII. Time to Write
You had a chance to attend in English lesson. Write about your impressions. Use the plan:
• The beginning of the lesson.
• Activities at the lesson.
• The teacher’s and pupils’ communication.
• Pupils’ attitude to learning a foreign language.
• Your feelings about the lesson.
Go to Ex. 88-90 of your Workbook