Підручник Англійська мова 5 клас (5-й рік навчання) - А.М. Несвіт - Генеза 2018 рік
Unit 3. Food
1. Listen and complete the dialogue with the words from the box.
• favourite • recipe • rice • delicious • sour cream • cabbage leaves • cook • dinner •
Kim: What day is it today?
Jane: It’s Wednesday. Why?
Kim: Wednesday? Great. I love Wednesdays.
Kim: Yes, I do. We always have cabbage rolls for (1) … . on Wednesdays. I think it’s my (2) … dish.
Jane: What - cabbage rolls?
Kim: Yes, these are (3) … filled with pork, vegetables and (4) … . You can eat them with tomato sauce or (5) … . What’s your favourite?
Jane: Fish and chips.
Kim: My mum often does fish and chips on Sunday night.
Jane: I’ll ask my mum to (6) … cabbage rolls one day.
Kim: They’re really (7) … . You’ll love them. I’ll bring you a (8) … .
Jane: Thank you.
2. Work in pairs. Act out the dialogues as in Ex. 1. Talk about traditional Ukrainian dishes. Use the following Ukrainian dishes or some of your favourite dishes.
3. Listen and read the recipe of a traditional dish.
Dan: My favourite Ukrainian dish is borshch. All you need is a head of cabbage, some pieces of meat, some beetroots, carrots, potatoes, tomatoes, an onion, greens, spices and some sour cream.
Cook the meat, peel vegetables, slice potatoes, beetroots and carrots, chop the onion and greens. Then put all the vegetables into the saucepan. Add tomatoes, spices and don’t forget to salt. When borshch is ready, add some sour cream into your plate. You may eat it either hot or cool.
Enjoy your meal!
4. Work in pairs. Act out the situation.
You’re having a visitor from an English-speaking country in your school. Interview him / her about traditional British food.
a) Write a list of questions about food.
Ask who prepares the meals in the visitor’s home, what the favourite dishes are, what the favourite recipes are, etc.
b) Interview the person and take notes.
c) Speak in class. Tell your friends about your survey.
Mini-project: My Favourite Dish
5. Your friends are visiting you next Saturday. You’d like to cook your favourite dish. Write a shopping list of all the ingredients you need to buy. Then write how to prepare this dish.
Start like this:
To make … , first … . Then … . Next … . Finally, … .
Enjoy your meal!
6. Write. Complete the text with the correct forms of the verbs in brackets.
Tree Marshall, 13, Somerset, the UK, (1) … (to live) with her mother Amanda. At the age of 13 she (2) … (to decide) to become a vegan1. Her mother (3) … (to like) her daughter’s idea and (4) … (to join) her.
“I (5) … (to get) a vegan cookbook2 for my thirteenth birthday. And I (6)… (to become) more interested in cooking. So I (7) …. (not / to eat) cheese, eggs, butter, honey anymore and I (8) … (not / to drink) milk. Tonight I (9) … (to make) onions fried in olive oil, grilled tomatoes and potatoes. In the morning I (10) … (to make) breakfast. I usually (11) … (to have) proper breakfasts. Mum says I (12) … (can / to make) better porridge and pancakes than her. While others my age are eating burgers, I’m making meals and saving animals’ lives.”
1a vegan - вегетаріанка
2a cookbook - книжка рецептів