Підручник Англійська мова 5 клас (5-й рік навчання) - А.М. Несвіт - Генеза 2018 рік
Unit 3. Food
1. Work in pairs. Answer the questions individually. Then ask your friend. Add information.
A: Do you often go on a, picnic?
B: Yes, I do. I usually go picnicking in summer and early autumn. What about you?
A: Me too. I love picnicking when the weather is nice.
• Do you often go on a picnic?
• Who do you usually go with: your family or your friends?
• What food do you usually take with you?
• Where do you usually have a picnic?
• Do you like to go picnicking?
2. Listen and read the text.
George Goes Picnicking
By Georgie Adams
It was a hot fine afternoon, and George was getting ready to go for a picnic by the river. He packed a basket with some sandwiches, cupcakes, and lemonade, and was about to set off when Mrs. Rabbit and her babies came along.
“I’m going for a picnic,” said George.
“Can we come?” asked Mrs. Rabbit.
“Of course,” said George.
So George packed some carrots for the rabbits. The picnic basket was quite heavy. George and the rabbits were about to set off when three bears came along.
“We’re going for a picnic,” said George.
“Can we come?” asked the bears.
George said they could, and he packed three large jars of honey for the bears.
Now the picnic basket was very heavy.
George, the rabbits, and the bears were about to set off when two monkeys came along.
“We’re going for a picnic,” said George.
“Can we come?” asked the monkeys.
“Of course,” George said.
Somehow he found room in his picnic basket for two large bunches of bananas for the monkeys. But the basket was much too heavy to carry.
George, the rabbits, the bears, and the monkeys were wondering what to do when an elephant came along.
“I’ll carry your basket for you,” said the elephant, “and you can all ride on my back to the river.”
So George, the rabbits, the bears, and the monkeys had a wonderful picnic and they all shared their food with the elephant.
3. Answer the questions.
1. Where did George plan to have a picnic?
2. What food did George pack into his basket?
3. Why was the basket getting heavier all the time?
4. What food did George have for the rabbits (bears, monkeys)?
5. How did the friends get to the picnicking place?
6. What did the elephant eat?
4. Say who or what each underlined pronoun in the text of Ex. 2 stands for.
George was getting ready to go for a picnic by the river. He packed a basket with some sandwiches, cupcakes, and lemonade. Answer: ‘He’ stands for the noun ‘George’.
5. Look through the text and find the words with the following sounds:
/k/: picnic, …
/s/: basket, …
/A/: come, …
/a:/: ask, …
6. Find the examples of countable and uncountable nouns in the text.
Countable nouns: afternoon, …
Uncountable nouns: lemonade, …
7. Choose the correct word to complete the sentences.
1. George was about to set off when Mrs. Rabbit and … babies came along. (his / her)
2. “…’m going for a picnic,” said George. (He / I)
3. George packed some … for the rabbits, (carrot / carrots)
4. The picnic basket … quite heavy, (was / were)
5. George packed three large … of honey for the bears, (jar /jars)
6. The basket was much too heavy to carry, (much / many)
8. Write about the day you went for a picnic. Say:
• when you went;
• who you went with;
• what foods you took with you;
• where you stayed;
• what you did there.
MAKING A SANDWICH
Aim: To use topic vocabulary while making sandwiches.
Out of class: Prepare the ingredients
Work individually. Take the things in the list. Read the recipe and prepare the ingredients to use in class.
• an apron;
• some napkins;
• a knife;
• a fork;
• a cooking board.
In class: Before you cook
1. Wash your hands.
2. Wash the vegetables and let them dry.
3. Cut bread, cheese and ham.
4. Follow the steps to make a sandwich.
Speak English while cooking!
You can use the following phrases:
Could you pass me … , … (name), please?
Cut some bread, please!
5. Make a few sandwiches. Decorate them with lettuce, tomato, greenery, etc.
In class: Treat Your Guests!
• Your classmates are your guests. Treat them to the sandwiches you’ve made. Enjoy your meal!
• Vote for the best cook.
1. Take two slices of your favourite bread.
2. Put mustard on the bottom slice of bread, and mayonnaise on the top slice.
3. Choose your cheese for the sandwich. Put some cheese on the bread.
4. Put one or two slices of tomatoes on top of cheese.
5. Put a few leaves of lettuce on top of the tomatoes.
6. Lay two slices of thin ham on top of the lettuce. Gently fold the ham in half and lay them next to each other.
7. Lay the slice of bread with mustard on top of the sandwich.
8. Serve the sandwich on a medium sized plate. Serve with chips and a drink of your choice.