Підручник Англійська мова 5 клас (5-й рік навчання) - А.М. Несвіт - Генеза 2018 рік
Unit 5. Nature and Weather
1. Ask and answer the questions.
• Is it warm in summer?
• Is it cold in winter?
• When is it warmer: in summer or in winter?
• What is the warmest season of the year?
• What is the coldest season of the year?
2. Read the texts. Say what season the children describe. What kind of weather do they like?
Ann: It is the season when the days become longer and the nights shorter. The weather is fine. The sun shines brightly in the blue sky and the snow melts. The birds build their nests, and people start to work in the fields.
Dan: It is the season when the leaves on the trees are yellow, brown and red. The sky is grey and cloudy. The weather is windy and it often rains. It is the season when people eat apples and children go to school.
Jane: It is the season when the weather is sunny. The days are long and the weather is hot. There are many flowers in the parks and in the woods. Sometimes it rains, but the raindrops are warm. When it rains heavily but there is no wind, it is a shower. We can see a rainbow in the sky after a shower or a thunderstorm.
3. Work in pairs. Describe one of the seasons to your friend. Let him / her guess what season it is.
A: This is the season when the days are short and the nights are long. The weather is snowy and frosty. It is often windy.
B: I think it is winter.
Writing Lab: Writing a Reply to the Letter
4. Dan has received a letter from his English-speaking penfriend. Read part of the letter on page 107. Answer the questions given below.
• Why is Brian writing a letter?
• What project is he working on?
• What does he ask Dan to write him about?
… and now I’m doing a project about how people in different parts of the world spend their holidays. They usually do to the seaside or mountains resorts. Please write and tell me where people from your country usually go and what they do. What is the weather like in your country in summer? What are you doing this summer?
Thank you for your help.
5. Read Dan’s reply. Has he answered all the questions?
Thanks for your letter. It’s summer holidays time here, in Ukraine. The weather is hot and sunny. There are few rainy days. The temperature can reach 35 degrees above zero. Many people go to the Black Sea; in summer. There are good beaches here. Some others travel to the Carpathians. There are famous mountain resorts there.
My family are staying with my uncle’s family in a house near the sea. We swim and go out in my uncle’s boat. Most people stay indoors because of the heat, but I don’t like doing that.
When does your holiday start? What are you going to do? Write me soon,
6. Imagine that you’ve received a letter from your English-speaking friend. In his / her letter your penfriend has asked you to tell him / her about winter in Ukraine and the way people spend their winter holidays. Write your reply to this letter.