Підручник Англійська мова 5 клас (5-й рік навчання) - А.М. Несвіт - Генеза 2018 рік
Unit 5. Nature and Weather
1. Look at the pictures on page 108 and act out short dialogues as in the example.
A: What’s the weather like now?
B: It’s sunny and warm.
A: What do you think it’ll be like tomorrow?
B: I think it’ll be sunny and warm, too. / Tomorrow will be warm and sunny. It won’t be rainy and cold.
2. Listen and read the dialogues. Where are the children going to spend their next weekend?
Ann: Hi, Alex! It’s Ann. Dan, Jane and me are going to the park to rollerblade on Sunday. Would you like to come?
Alex: I’m not sure. What is the weather going to be next Sunday?
Ann: We expect a sunny and warm day. It won’t rain.
Alex: Then I’ll join you.
Dan: Hi Alex! What are you doing on Sunday? Let’s ride our bikes in the local park. You should take your jacket in case it rains.
Alex: I like to walk in the rain.
Dan: I don’t. Would you like to play computer games with me in the evening?
Alex: I’d love to. I think there might be a thunderstorm in the afternoon. Then we’ll come back home earlier.
Dan: I hope the weather won’t spoil our weekend.
3. Read and say True or False. Correct the false statements.
1. The children are going to the beach.
2. It’ll rain on Sunday.
3. Ann has read the weather forecast in the newspaper.
4. Alex doesn’t want to join his friends. He wants to be at home alone.
5. Dan will stay at home with Alex.
6. Dan is sure that the weather won’t spoil their weekend.
Grammar Lab: Modal Verb Should
We use modal verbs with other verbs. They are placed before the main verb. Modal verbs don’t change form. They are the same in all persons, in the negative and question forms. The main verb also doesn’t change. We use modal verb should when we want to give some recommendations to people:
It’s going to rain. You should take your umbrella with you. It’s warm outside. You shouldn’t put on your sweater. What’s the weather like today? Should I put on my coat?
4. a) Look at the pictures and give advice to your friends.
Example: Oh, it’s sunny! You should wear a hat!
b) Cooling and heating use more energy than any other system in your home. Work in two groups. Draw two posters and discuss them in class. Use the structure We should … .
Group A. Think of ideas to block the heat from coming into your house / flat in summer.
Group B Think of ideas to keep your house / flat warm in winter.
6. Read the statement. Do you agree with Jane or Dan?
It’s fun to walk in the rain.
I think so, too.
You should wear a raincoat. Then you won’t get wet.
I think so, too. / I don’t think so.
I don’t think so.
You should stay at home when it rains.
A: I agree with Dan. I don’t like it when it rains. I usually watch TV at home on a rainy day.
B: I think so, too …
6. Look at the weather forecast for the next week and write sentences as in the example.
It’s going to be cloudy and rainy on Saturday. You should take your umbrella with you.