Підручник Англійська мова 5 клас (5-й рік навчання) - А.М. Несвіт - Генеза 2018 рік
Unit 5. Nature and Weather
1. Listen and read the dialogues. Match them to the pictures (1-3). What kind of weather the children are talking about?
A: It’s too windy for playing badminton. Let’s go for a walk in the park.
B: But the weather’s great for flying a kite. Let’s do that.
A: Good idea! I’ll go and take my kite and we’ll spend some wonderful time in the park.
Dad: We are going on our skiing holiday next week.
Dan: Wow! Where are we going to spend them?
Dad: In Bukovel. I hope we’ll have good weather for skiing. Dan: I’ m sure we will.
Mum: They say it might be a snowstorm tomorrow.
Mum: Yes, they do. You should stay in and watch TV.
Ann: I don’t mind doing that.
2. Work in pairs. Look at the pictures and act out similar dialogues.
Picture A: summer, hot, sunbathe.
Picture B: winter, snowy, frosty, to ski.
Picture C: autumn, nice weather, to walk in the forest, to gather mushrooms.
Picture D: spring, the snow melts, wet, to stay at home, to read books, to chat online.
Grammar Lab: Future Will or Going to Do Smth
We use will to make a prediction about what will happen in the distant future, to make a promise, or when we make a sudden decision to do something.
We use going to talk about plans we intend to do in the near future, or for something we have decided to do; when we are sure that something else is going to happen in the near future.
It will / won’t snow tomorrow.
It’s raining outside. I’ll take my umbrella.
There are clouds in the sky. It’s going to rain.
3. Look at the weather chart and write sentences about the weather in London next week.
It will be sunny and cloudy in London on Monday. It won’t be rainy.
4. Write questions and short answers to the sentences given below.
I won’t go skiing next Saturday, the weather is warm. - Will you go skiing next Saturday? - No, I won’t. The weather is warm.
1. They won’t spend some time on the beach, it’s too cold.
2. We will ride our bikes in the park, it’s nice weather today.
3. He will go skateboarding tomorrow.
4. She won’t wear a sweater tomorrow, it’s warm outside.
5. Read and act out the situation.
You are in the summer camp. Your new friends tell you about the weather in the place where they live. Ask them questions to get more information.
Tom: I am from California. Here, the weather doesn’t change a lot, as it does in other parts of the United States. The weather is usually warm and clear. The sky is often blue with white clouds. However, we have rainstorms every few years.
Jane: I’m from Edinburgh in Scotland. People think it’s very cold here, but not a lot. In winter it’s usually about 3 degrees here, and in summer about 14 or 15.
Neil: I’ m from Alice Spring in Australia. It’s in a desert area. It’s usually hot there in summer. Our summer months are November, December, January. The temperature in December is about 36 to 38 degrees above zero. In winter, in July, it’s 4 or 5 degrees above zero - that’s the coldest.
6. Read the email from your penfriend Mary and write your answer.
I can’t wait to visit you next month. Tell me about the place where you live. What is the weather like at this time of the year?
What are we going to do together?