Підручник Англійська мова 5 клас (5-й рік навчання) - А.М. Несвіт - Генеза 2018 рік
Unit 5. Nature and Weather
1. Listen and complete the texts with the words from the boxes.
• yellow • beautiful • different • violet • white •
Rainbows are (0) beautiful rays of colour. Sunlight looks (1) … but it’s really made up of (2) … colours: red, orange,(3)… green, blue, indigo, and (4) … .The sun makes rainbows when white sunlight passes through raindrops.
Lightning and Thunder
• tall • bright • faster • white-yellow • dangerous •
Lightning is a (0) bright flash of electricity. All thunderstorms produce lightning. Lightning seems to be a (1)… colour, but it really depends on the background. They are very (2) … .Lightning strikes the (3) … objects, like trees and buildings.
These lightning strikes can cause fire.
Thunder is caused by lightning. We usually see lightning before we hear thunder. It happens because light travels (4) …than sound!
2. Work in pairs. Talk about the weather phenomenon you’ve read in Ex. 1, page 113.
A: What is lightning?
B: It is a bright flash of electricity.
3. Read and order the parts (A-E) to build a text. Say why Tom was the unhappiest boy in the village.
The Adventures of Tom Sawyer
By Mark Twain
A He came out of his house with a brush and a big pot of white paint in his hand. He looked at the fence. It was three metres high and thirty metres long.
B He stopped and looked at the fence, put down his brush and sat down. There were hours of work in front of him and he was the unhappiest boy in the village…
C Saturday was a beautiful day. It was summer and the sun was hot and there were flowers in all the gardens.
D He put his brush in the paint and painted some of the fence. The sun was shining brightly. There were no clouds in the blue sky. It was very hot and Tom didn’t want to work.
E It was a day for everybody to be happy. But Tom was the unhappiest boy in the village.
1. 2. 3. 4. 5.
4. Read and choose the correct item.
1. It was a beautiful … day.
2. Tom was …
a) very happy
b) not happy
c) the happiest
3. There were … clouds in the blue sky.
4. The weather was …
5. Tom was the unhappiest boy because …
a) it was Saturday
b) he had to work
c) he was alone
5. Read and act out the situation.
You are talking with your English-speaking friend. Ask him / her questions about the weather in the place where he / she lives.
6. Write a letter to your English-speaking friend. Tell him / her about your experience of bad winter weather one day. Start like this:
Last week we had a big snowstorm. When I woke up I looked out of my bedroom window and saw that everything was white …