Підручник Англійська мова 5 клас (5-й рік навчання) - А.М. Несвіт - Генеза 2018 рік
Unit 6. Around Great Britain and Ukraine
1. Read the emails given below. Answer the questions.
• Where are the children?
• What are they doing / going to do there?
• Whom are they writing to?
I’m in Cardiff now. It’s a great city!
Yesterday I went to Cardiff Castle.
The guided tour there was very interesting.
Hope you’re well.
See you soon.
Dear Mum and Dad,
I’m in London today. It’s my favourite city.
This is a picture of me in the Natural History Museum.
Hope you’re well.
How are you?
We are in Belfast, the capital of Northern Ireland. It’s St. Patrich’s Day today and we’re going to celebrate it.
We’ll send you some photos soon.
Bye for now,
Ann and Jane
Greeting from Edinburgh! It’s a beautiful city and the people are nice too.
It rains so often in Scotland! (Oh no!)
Hope you’re fine.
2. Read and act out the situations.
You are talking on Skype with the children on holidays (Ex. 1). Ask them questions to get more information.
A: Hi there! What is your trip in Scotland like?
B: It’s nice. But the weather doesn’t help. It rains so often.
3. Look and say how people spend their free time in the national parks.
Example: You can go camping in the mountains in summer.
• to go camping • to have a picnic • to go skiing • to go sailing • to ride a bike • to go walking • to go boating • to watch the swans •
4. Read and complete the text. Fill in the parts (A - G). Say which places many people in Britain like to visit and what they can do there.
The National Parks
There are ten (0) very big national parks in Great Britain. The most famous of them are Snowdonia and the Lake District. Many people like to visit them.
The National Park of Snowdonia is situated in Wales (1) … . People can (2) … and walk in the mountains there.
The Lake District is in the northwest of England. There are (3) … in this national park. People can swim, (4) … on the lakes. Children like to travel in the Lake District. They usually walk or (5) … there.
Most of the tourists go to Scotland to visit the lakes which are called lochs / lɒks/. People believe that (6) … , Nessy, lives in one of them.
A climb the rock
B ride their bikes
C very big national parks
D go boating and water-ski
E the well-known monster
F many beautiful lakes
G around Mount Snowdon
Grammar Lab: Article THE with Place Names
We use article the with the names of: rivers (The Thames), oceans and seas (the Atlantic Ocean, the North Sea), deserts (the Sahara), mountain ranges (the Carpathians), island groups (the British Isles), national parks, museums and galleries (the European Art Museum), hotels (the River Island Hotel) and cinemas (the Odeon).
We don’t use the with the names of: towns and cities (London), lakes and mountains (Lake Svityaz, Mount Hoverla), streets and squares (Independence Square, but the High Street), parks (Central Park), shops and large stores (Harrods), airports (Heathrow Airport).
5. Write. Fill in the articles a (an), the or - where necessary.
1. … mountains in … Snowdonia National Park are over 400 million years old … Snowdonis … highest mountain in Wales. There are … beautiful valleys and … lakes there. …
Welsh language and culture is important to local people.
2. … South Downs will become … National Park soon … white chalk rock underground has formed … wonderful hills and valleys with … beautiful rivers … grassland has … lot of flowering plants … coastline has … nice beaches and cliffs.
6. Work in pairs. Take turns to ask and answer the questions as in the example.
A: What activity would you like to do in a national park?
B: I’d like to go sailing and go camping. And you?
A: I’d love to have a picnic.
7. Look and write what Jim did in Snowdonia last summer. Use the correct articles. Start like this:
Jim went to Snow don I a with his parents last summer.