Підручник Англійська мова 5 клас (5-й рік навчання) - А.М. Несвіт - Генеза 2018 рік
Unit 6. Around Great Britain and Ukraine
1. Look and say what the national symbols of Ukraine are.
2. Listen, read and act out the dialogue.
It is Sunday today. Ann, Dan and their friends are having an excursion along Khreshchatyk Street. They are with their teacher Miss Alison.
Dan: Look! This is our National Flag. It is blue and yellow.
Ann: And I know what these colours mean.
Miss Alison: Can you tell us, Ann?
Ann: The blue colour stands for the clear blue sky and the yellow colour stands for the golden wheat1 field. Our country is very peaceful.
Miss Alison: The British National Flag is called “The Union Jack”. It is blue, white and red. There are three crosses2 on it - the cross of St. George (the patron saint3 of England), the cross of St. Andrew (the patron saint of Scotland) and the cross of St. Patrick (the patron saint of Northern Ireland).
Dan: There are also other national symbols of Ukraine. The Trident is the National Coat of Arms. And the Ukrainian Anthem is the song by Pavlo Chubynsky and Mykhailo Verbytsky.
Miss Alison: The national symbols are very important for all the citizens of the country they live in. And everybody must respect them.
1 wheat - пшениця
2 a cross - хрест
3 the patron saint - святий покровитель
3. Work in pairs. Take turns to ask and answer the questions (see Ex. 2, page 131).
1. Where are the children and their teacher? What do they see?
2. What do the children tell their friends about the national symbols of their country?
3. What are the national symbols of Ukraine? What do you know about them?
4. What are the colours of the Ukrainian flag? What do they mean?
4. Read and choose the correct items to complete the sentences.
1. Every country have / has / had its national symbols.
2. There was / is / are two colours on the Ukrainian National Flag.
3. A / - / The Ukrainian Anthem is the song by P. Chubynsky and M. Verbytsky.
4. The / - / A Trident is the Ukrainian National Coat of Arms.
5. a) Read and say why it is important to be tolerant of others.
Tolerance refers to the skills we need to live together peacefully. It creates a society in which people can feel valued and respected, and in which there is room for every person, each with their own ideas, thoughts and dreams.
b) Look and say what countries these people are from and what the colours of their national flags are. What would you like to ask these people about?
Example: Mr. Brown is from Great Britain. The British Flag is blue, white and red. I'd like to know what the colours on the flag stand for.
6. Write questions to get more information.
1. We have already visited a nice museum.
2. My friend has been to Zakarpattia this year.
3. My parents bought a guide book about Great Britain yesterday.
4. I’m having a lot of beautiful photos.