Підручник Англійська мова 5 клас (5-й рік навчання) - А.М. Несвіт - Генеза 2018 рік
Unit 7. The Place Where I Live
1. Listen and repeat. Say what places there are / aren’t in your village or town.
Example: There is a market place in my town. There is no supermarket there.
• a post office • a bus stop / a bus station • a café • a railway station • a supermarket • a market place • a school • a museum • a cathedral • a fountain • a church • a cinema • a square • a park • a taxi rank • a bank • a monument • a travel agency •
2. Look and say what places you see in this city. Where are they: in the High Street or Station Road?
I see a post office in this city. It is in the High Street.
3. Work in pairs. Act out the dialogues about the place where you live.
1. A: Hi! How are you today?
B: Fine. Where are you going?
A: To the … . What about you?
B: I’ m going to the … .
2. A: Is there a post office in your city / town / village?
B: Yes, there is. / No, there isn’t.
3. A: Is there a / an … nearby?
B: Yes. There’s a / an … around the corner.
4. A: Excuse me. Where’s the …?
B: It’s down the street, next to the …. . / It’s right over there.
A: Thank you.
Grammar Lab: There is / There are
We use there is (there’s), or there are (no short form) to say that something or someone exists, usually in a specific place.
(+) There are a lot of trees and flowers in my city.
(-) There are not many trees and flowers in my city.
(?) Are there many trees and flowers in your city?
(+) There is a big stadium in my city.
(-) There is no stadium in my city.
(?) Is there a big stadium in your city?
4. Read and complete the sentences. Fill in is, are, isn’t or aren’t.
1. There … a lot of tree-lined streets in our city. ()
2. There … a big stadium in our town. ()
3. There … any swimming pools in our village. (x)
4. There … many parks in our city. (x)
5. There … many big shops in our town. (x)
6. There … a post office in our village. ()
5. Write questions and short answers as in the example.
There is a stadium in our village. ()
Is there a stadium in our village? - Yes, there is.
There is a department store in our village. (x)
Is there a department store in our village? - No, there isn’t.
1. There is a supermarket in our village, ()
2. There is a lake in our town. (x)
3. There are many trees in our city. (x)
4. There is a bus station in our town. ()
5. There is a mobile phone shop in our village. (x)
6. There are many monuments in our city. ()
6. Work in pairs. Ask and answer the questions about the place where your friend lives.
A: Where do you live?
B: I live in the city / village of … .
A: Are there many streets in the …?
B: Yes, there are. / No, there aren’t.
7. Write about the place where you live. Use the questions given below.
1. Where is the nearest post office?
2. Is there a bus station in your town / village centre?
3. Where’s the nearest supermarket?
4. Is there a church or a cathedral in the place where you live?