Підручник Англійська мова 5 клас (5-й рік навчання) - А.М. Несвіт - Генеза 2018 рік
Unit 8. Holidavs and Traditions
1. Listen and fill in the verbs make or do. Match the phrases (1-8) to the pictures (A-H). Then make sentences to talk about holiday preparations.
In our family we usually do the cleaning before every holiday. We also do the shopping.
2. Read the text. Match the pictures (A-C) to the paragraphs (1-3) on pp. 169-170. What Christmas traditions have you learned about? Do we have the same traditions in Ukraine?
1. People in Britain celebrate Christmas on the 25th of December. On the Eve of this holiday all people do the shopping. They buy food and make postcards. On Christmas Day, families and friends exchange presents and share a Christmas dinner. Traditionally, they make a special dish. It is usually a turkey and a Christmas pudding. There are crackers beside every place setting. Crackers are colourful packages with a paper hat, a joke, and a little present. Two people pull it in different directions to make a cracking noise.
2. Children also prepare for a holiday. They make the decorations and write a letter to Father Christmas. They believe that Father Christmas or Santa Claus brings presents to them. On Christmas Eve children hang Christmas stockings at the end of their beds or at the fireplace. Father Christmas comes down the chimney and puts presents in their stockings.
3. One of the symbols of Christmas is a Christmas Tree. Many people in Great Britain have a decorated Christmas tree in their houses at Christmas. This tradition came to Britain from Germany. Prince Albert put up the first Christmas Tree for his wife, Queen Victoria, in Windsor Castle, in 1841.
3. Work in pairs. Take turns to ask and answer the questions.
1. What do the British people do before Chrismas Day?
2. What special dish do they make?
3. Where does the tradition of decorating Christmas Tree come from?
4. Why do children put a Christmas stocking at their beds or at the fireplace?
Grammar Lab: Prepositions on or in
4. a) Read the sentences and complete the rules.
St. Valentine’s Day is on the fourteenth of February.
This year my birthday is on Saturday.
Mother’s Day is on the second Sunday in May.
In Ukraine Christmas is in January.
We use with days.
We use with months.
b) Listen, check and study the rules.
We use on with days.
We use in with months.
We usually say at the weekend.
What are you going to do at the weekend?
5. Complete the sentences. Use the prepositions at, on or in.
1. The celebration is … Sunday.
2. In Great Britain Christmas is … December.
3. The English lesson is … Tuesday.
4. It’s my sister’s birthday … Friday.
5. The test is … Wednesday. I’ll have a lot of work … the weekend.
6. The school starts … September.
6. Speak in class. Act out the situation.
You are talking with your English-speaking friend on Skype. Ask him / her questions about the Christmas traditions in Great Britain. Tell him / her something about the way we celebrate Christmas in Ukraine.
7. Read and complete Tony’s letter to Father Christmas.
Dear Father … , I am … from … . I live with my family. I love my Dadand … very much. I always help her about the house. I … many friends.
At school, my favourite subject … Music. We usually have it … Tuesday.
My hobbies … playing the piano and listening to pop music.
I also love animals but I haven’t got a pet. Can I have …dog or a cat for Christmas?
8. Write your letter to Father Christmas. In this letter:
• introduce yourself;
• write a few words about your family;
• write about your favourite school subject;
• say what present you want to get.