Підручник Англійська мова 5 клас (5-й рік навчання) - А.М. Несвіт - Генеза 2018 рік
Unit 8. Holidavs and Traditions
1. Work in pairs. Look at the pictures. Ask and answer the questions.
1. What holidays do Ukrainian people celebrate every year?
2. What holidays does your family celebrate every year?
3. What traditions do you have in your family?
4. Why is it important to keep the traditions alive?
2. Listen, read and say what Ukrainian traditions Ann is writing about.
April 15th, 20
Thank you for your interesting letter. I’ll tell you about some Ukrainian traditions.
Christmas is the most beloved holiday among Ukrainians. The family usually gathers together for a holiday supper of twelve dishes. The supper starts with the first star in the sky. “Kutya” is the main dish at this supper. It is a dish of wheat, honey, raisins, nuts and poppy seeds. There are no meat dishes on the table. People cook beans, mushrooms, cabbage, beetroots and other vegetables. “Kolyadka” songs usually end the evening.
Come and visit me next Christmas! We’ll have a lot of fun together.
3. Read and choose the correct items to complete the sentences.
1. Ann writes about school / traditional and public holidays in Ukraine.
2. Ukrainians usually work and study / don’t work and study on public holidays.
3. There are some / no professional holidays in Ukraine.
4. Ann asks / writes about the way people celebrate Christmas in Ukraine.
5. Ann writes / doesn’t write about traditional food people cook.
6. Ann invites her friend to come to Ukraine next Christmas / next summer.
4. Look at the pictures and talk about Christmas in Ukraine.
Start like this:
Ukrainians celebrate Christmas on the 7th of January.
5. Speak in class. Explain the proverb “Every country has its customs”. Start like this:
Different countries have different traditions and customs. For example, people celebrate Christmas in Ukraine, Great Britain and other countries of the world. The date of the celebration is different in some countries. Etc.
6. Write 8-9 sentences about your favourite holiday.
1. Where is your town / village situated?
2. What is it like?
3. How many people live there?
4. What do the people do at the weekend?
5. Are there any special festivals in your town (village)? What do people do at them?
6. Which of them is your favourite holiday?