Підручник Англійська мова 5 клас (5-й рік навчання) - А.М. Несвіт - Генеза 2018 рік
Unit 9. School Life
Lessons 4 -5
1. Work in pairs. Write a list of questions to ask your friend about the school subjects in the box given below. Then take turns to ask and answer them.
• English • Ukrainian Literature • the Ukrainian Language • History • Mathematics • PE • Handicrafts • Drawing •
A: What is your favourite subject? Why do you like it?
B: My favourite subject is … because … .
2. Work in pairs. Take turns to ask and answer the questions. Use the words and word combinations in the boxes given below.
• calculating • doing the sums • reciting poems • reading stories • singing songs • drawing flowers • playing games • writing compositions • jumping and running •
• (not) to be good at • to be quite good at • to be very good at • to like doing something • can … very well •
A: Do you like Mathematics?
B: Yes, I do because I like doing the sums. / No, I don’t because I don’t like doing the sums.
A: Are you good at doing the sums?
B: Yes, I am. / No, I am not. I can do the sums very well. / I can’t do the sums very well.
2. Use the Present Simple Tense to complete the sentences in this interview.
Interviewer: Tell me about your school, Diana.
Diana: I (0) go (to go) to Gymnasium #5 in my native city.
Interviewer: What subjects (1) … (you /to study)?
Diana: Well, I (2) … (to study) English, German, Maths, Music, PE, History and other subjects.
Interviewer: Which subject (3) … (you / to like) best?
Diana: I (4) … (to love) English. We always (5) … (to work) hard at the English lessons.
Interviewer: (6) … (you / to like) writing dictations?
Diana: No, I (7) … (to hate) it. My teacher always (8) … (totell) me I should practise more.
Interviewer: What activities (9) … (you / to be) good at?
Diana: I think I’m very good at singing English songs. I (10) … (to love) them!
4. Work in pairs. Talk about the class activities. Use the expressions in the box given below.
• to learn quickly • to write letters / stories • to learn new English words • to recite a poem • to read • to start a conversation in English • to do a crossword • to listen to a story • to do a project • to draw / to paint • to count • to use a calculator •
1. A: Which classroom activities are you good at?
B: I am good at writing letters.
2. A: Are you good at writing letters?
B: Yes, I am. / No, I am not.
3. A: I can paint very well.
B: I can’t, but I can draw.
5. Look at the pictures and write what the children did at the lessons yesterday.
The children read the texts and wrote a letter at the English lesson yesterday.
6. Work in pairs. Read and act out the dialogues. Then make up similar ones about the subjects you study at school.
1. A: Hi, Cindy! What lesson are you going to have?
B: Oh, hi, Helen! I’m going to have Mathematics.
A: Is Mathematics useful?
B: Yes, it is. Pupils learn how to count, add numbers and use the calculator.
2. A: Is she going to paint a picture?
B: No, she is going to draw a picture.
3. A: Let’s play football in the evening.
B: That’s a good idea!
7. a) Read and complete the text about Alex’s school day. Put the verbs in brackets into the correct tense form.
I am Alex. I am 10 and I am in the fifth form at school #3. It (0) was Monday yesterday.
What a terrible day it (1) … (to be)! I (2) …(to wake) up late and (3) … (not / to have) time to eat my breakfast. I was nearly late for school.
The first lesson was Maths. I am not very good at Maths. Serhiy Denysovych, our Maths teacher, (4) …… (to give) us some sums to do. They were difficult. The next lesson was French. I (5) … (to like) French, but I hate doing grammar exercises! After the break we (6) … (to have) two lessons of English! I (7) … (to forget) to do myhomework. Kate (8) … (to let) me copy it. After English we had some time for lunch. Then we had the History lesson. The last lesson was my favourite lesson of PE. We (9) … (to play) football! It was great! At 2:15 I (10) … (to go) home.
b) Write what flex should do to be a good students. Use the modal verb should.