Підручник Англійська мова 5 клас (5-й рік навчання) - А.М. Несвіт - Генеза 2018 рік
Unit 9. School Life
Lessons 4 -5
1. Work in pairs. Write a list of questions to ask your friend about the school subjects in the box given below. Then take turns to ask and answer them.
• English • Ukrainian Literature • the Ukrainian Language • History • Mathematics • PE • Handicrafts • Drawing •
A: What is your favourite subject? Why do you like it?
B: My favourite subject is ... because ... .
2. Work in pairs. Take turns to ask and answer the questions. Use the words and word combinations in the boxes given below.
• calculating • doing the sums • reciting poems • reading stories • singing songs • drawing flowers • playing games • writing compositions • jumping and running •
• (not) to be good at • to be quite good at • to be very good at • to like doing something • can ... very well •
A: Do you like Mathematics?
B: Yes, I do because I like doing the sums. / No, I don’t because I don’t like doing the sums.
A: Are you good at doing the sums?
B: Yes, I am. / No, I am not. I can do the sums very well. / I can’t do the sums very well.
2. Use the Present Simple Tense to complete the sentences in this interview.
Interviewer: Tell me about your school, Diana.
Diana: I (0) go (to go) to Gymnasium #5 in my native city.
Interviewer: What subjects (1) ... (you /to study)?
Diana: Well, I (2) ... (to study) English, German, Maths, Music, PE, History and other subjects.
Interviewer: Which subject (3) ... (you / to like) best?
Diana: I (4) ... (to love) English. We always (5) ... (to work) hard at the English lessons.
Interviewer: (6) ... (you / to like) writing dictations?
Diana: No, I (7) ... (to hate) it. My teacher always (8) ... (totell) me I should practise more.
Interviewer: What activities (9) ... (you / to be) good at?
Diana: I think I’m very good at singing English songs. I (10) ... (to love) them!
4. Work in pairs. Talk about the class activities. Use the expressions in the box given below.
• to learn quickly • to write letters / stories • to learn new English words • to recite a poem • to read • to start a conversation in English • to do a crossword • to listen to a story • to do a project • to draw / to paint • to count • to use a calculator •
1. A: Which classroom activities are you good at?
B: I am good at writing letters.
2. A: Are you good at writing letters?
B: Yes, I am. / No, I am not.
3. A: I can paint very well.
B: I can’t, but I can draw.
5. Look at the pictures and write what the children did at the lessons yesterday.
The children read the texts and wrote a letter at the English lesson yesterday.
6. Work in pairs. Read and act out the dialogues. Then make up similar ones about the subjects you study at school.
1. A: Hi, Cindy! What lesson are you going to have?
B: Oh, hi, Helen! I’m going to have Mathematics.
A: Is Mathematics useful?
B: Yes, it is. Pupils learn how to count, add numbers and use the calculator.
2. A: Is she going to paint a picture?
B: No, she is going to draw a picture.
3. A: Let’s play football in the evening.
B: That’s a good idea!
7. a) Read and complete the text about Alex’s school day. Put the verbs in brackets into the correct tense form.
I am Alex. I am 10 and I am in the fifth form at school #3. It (0) was Monday yesterday.
What a terrible day it (1) ... (to be)! I (2) ...(to wake) up late and (3) ... (not / to have) time to eat my breakfast. I was nearly late for school.
The first lesson was Maths. I am not very good at Maths. Serhiy Denysovych, our Maths teacher, (4) ...... (to give) us some sums to do. They were difficult. The next lesson was French. I (5) ... (to like) French, but I hate doing grammar exercises! After the break we (6) ... (to have) two lessons of English! I (7) ... (to forget) to do myhomework. Kate (8) ... (to let) me copy it. After English we had some time for lunch. Then we had the History lesson. The last lesson was my favourite lesson of PE. We (9) ... (to play) football! It was great! At 2:15 I (10) ... (to go) home.
b) Write what flex should do to be a good students. Use the modal verb should.