Підручник Англійська мова 5 клас (5-ий рік навчання) - О. Д. Карпюк - Астон 2018 рік
Unit 5 TIME FOR DISCOVERY
Lesson 4 PLANS FOR SUMMER
1. Say which of these activities you can do during holidays. Why?
✵ go surfing
✵ buy souvenirs
✵ see place of interest
✵ go fishing
✵ go camping
✵ make new friends
✵ go on a boat trip
✵ gather mushrooms
✵ go shopping
2. Read the letter and find out what way Taras is going to spend his summer holidays.
Soon the school will be over. I have learnt a lot of new things. I have done a lot of listening and talking, reading and writing at my English lessons at school. We have learnt grammar rules and a lot of new English words. I had some problems with spelling, but I did all my best to spell better. I think writing letters to you has been a good practice in spelling, too. But my favourite activity is acting out the dialogues and role-playing. I enjoy putting the plays on, too.
Yesterday our class had a Playday Party. We felt as if we were real actors and actresses. We had a lot of fun: we put plays, played games, had contests, sang and danced. It was great!
Summer holidays are coming and it will be the time to play, make new friends, swim in the river or go fishing…
I am not sure about the places my family is going to visit. But there is one thing I know for sure. I'll visit my dear grandparents. I haven't been to their place for two years. It will be great to spend some weeks in the countryside. I enjoy walking in woods, gathering mushrooms and my grandad's storytelling. I like riding a bike and watching the beauty of nature.
I hope my grandparents will be pleased to see me. I have become two year older and now I can help them about the house and even take care after my granny’s hens and ducks, too.
What are you going to do this summer? Is there a plan of spending holidays for your family? Do you like being in a village?
Have you got good marks at school? How do you feel? Hope, you'll write me back soon.
Bye for now.
With best wishes,
3. Ask and answer in pairs.
1. What has Taras done at his English lessons at school?
2. What was his problem about English?
3. What did help him to spell better?
4. What is Taras's favourite activity he does in English lessons?
5. What is he going to do in summer? Why?
4. Imagine you are Pam.
Answer Taras's questions.
5. Discuss in pairs.
1. When will the school year be over?
2. What form will you be in the next year?
3. Have you learnt a lot this year?
4. What English books and stories have you read?
5. What have you learnt to do in English?
6. Did you start planning your summer holidays now?
7. Will you go to the village, camp, the seaside or another city?
8. When will you go there?
9. What will you do there?
10. Would you like to travel in summer?
11. What places would you like to visit?
12. Does your class have a picnic (a party, an excursion) each year before summer? Where are you going to go this year?
1. Put the verbs into the correct forms.
Read about the holidays in the future.
A hundred years from now, holidays … (be) different! Most people … (have) very busy lives and they … (not / have) time to go on a real holiday. There … (be) special computers in every home. You … (use) these computers to go on a virtual holidays! All you … (need) is buttons. The computer… (do) the rest! So easy! You … (not / spend) a lot of money, you … (not / need) a passport and you … (not /get) a sunburn!
2. Look and say as in the example. Work in a group of three.
✵ every schoolchild will study 5 foreign languages
✵ all people will live in cities
✵ people will be able to spend their holidays on the Moon
✵ people won't be ill
✵ any person will be able to live one hundred years
3. Read and compare.
shall / will
— It's hot in here.
— I'll open the window. (раптове вирішення ситуації)
— I'll do my morning exercises every day on holidays, (обіцянка)
— In a hundred years people will go to the moon on holidays, (передбачення)
— Why have you bought so many vegetables?
— Because I'm going to make a salad, (попередній намір)
— I have put my PT suit on because I am going to do my exercises, (намір)
— I am going to buy a new computer next month. (намір)
4. Make sentences about your future holidays.
Use 'going to /not going to'.
Example: I am going to put up a tent.
I am not going to travel by train.
✵ go on a trip
✵ go fishing
✵ eat local dishes
✵ go swimming
✵ buy souvenirs
✵ take photos
5. Read and say as in the example.
Example: I'll make some meal.
No. I'm not going to make meals today.
Use the following: bring glasses, make a cake, go shopping, change the song, put up a tent, make fire.
6. Make up questions to find out 'who' or 'what', 'why' or 'when' is going to or will do something.
Example: I won't be a football player.
Why will you not be a football player?
1. I'm going to train hard every day.
2. Tom will travel around the world when he is grown up.
3. We'll play football and they'll enjoy watching us.
4. Linda is going to buy a new car.
5. He is going to write a story about his dad.
6. I'm going to study hard and enter a good college.
7. I'll do my best at college.
8. I am going to become a doctor.
9. I shall help sick people.
7. Choose 'going to' or 'shall' to complete the text.
I know well what I … (am going to be / shall be) when I grow up. I want to teach English, so I … (am going to be / shall be) an English teacher. I like to read and I like spending time with children. After primary school I …(am going to go / shall go) to grammar school. I … (am going to study / shall study) English language and literature.
I… (am going to read / shall read) a lot, write interesting stories and I… (am going to work / shall work) with children when I grow up. I think I… (am going to be / shall be) a good English teacher.
Yes, I… (am going to do / shall do) my best to become an English teacher.
1. Listen to the girls’ talk about their plans for holidays and find out where they are going to spend them.
2. Listen again and answer the questions.
1. Who is going to the Bournemouth ['bɔ:nmәӨ]?
2. Who isn't going to go to the beach?
3. Who will fly to Brazil?
4. Who is going to live in a small house?
5. Who is going to rent a boat and waterski?
6. Who is going to travel around a country?
7. Who is going to hang around with his friends?
8. Who won't stay in a hotel?
3. Ask and answer in pairs as in the example.
4. In pairs, talk with each other as in the example.
Use: a rucksack a boat some bikes a swimming suit a tent a compass a map
5. You are going to have a holiday for a week. Write a programme for each day.
6. Listen and sing along.
I want to go
Some place where the sun is yellow
And the sky is blue,
Some place where
The grass is green
And there is a swimming pool!
Sun that is yellow, yellow, yellow;
Sky that's blue, blue, blue;
Grass that's green, green, green
And sparkling 1 pool that's cool!
1sparkling ['spakliɧ] — виблискуючий
1. Share the ideas with your group. Use the phrases below.
✵ Why do you like summer holidays?
I like summer holidays because I can live in a tent.
✵ live in a tent
✵ make a fire
✵ take part in concerts
✵ play sports
✵ read a lot
✵ gather berries and mushrooms
✵ have fun in a camp
✵ have long walks
✵ play with my friends
✵ get up late in the morning
✵ play a lot outdoors
✵ enjoy living in a village
2. Look, ask and answer in pairs.
SUMMER CAMP TIMETABLE
going to the river
watching a film
having a bath
having a nap
going to bed
What time are they going to…?
Are they going to … at … o'clock?
3. Ask and answer as in the example.
4. In pairs speak about your plans and intentions 1 for this weekend.
5. Read the dialogue and make up a similar one.
A: Where are you going to spend your holidays?
B: I'm going to spend them in the village.
A: How long are you going to stay there?
B: For three weeks, I think.
A: Are you going by train?
B: No, we are going by bus.
Act out your dialogues in pairs.
1an intention [in'tenʃn] — намір
6. Imagine you are on holiday. What are your plans for the summer? Use the plan and tell your partner.
✵ Where are you?
✵ Who with?
✵ How long are you going to stay?
✵ Where are you going to stay?
✵ What are you / your family going to do?
1. Fill in the letter with the words from the box.
Under water, photos, Zoo, exciting, tent, scuba-diving, stay, mountain biking
We are having a great time here in New Zealand! We've done some really … things. Yesterday we went … it was fantastic! Ron took … They are wonderful. Today we are going to look at the animals in the…
Tomorrow we're going to take our … so we can …for a night in the mountains. On Friday 23 we're going to go…
I say goodbye for now.
If you are going to write a letter to your pen-friend follow the steps.
Step 1 Think what you will write about.
Step 2 Make up a plan of your letter.
Step 3 Write a letter, check your spelling and correct mistakes.
Step 4 If everything seems to be all right, write the letter down on a special sheet of paper and present it to your class: read it aloud.
Step 5 You can arrange a contest The Best Letter to a Pen- Friend', make a gallery of your works and vote for the best letter.
2. Imagine you have just arrived in a place to spend two weeks on your summer holidays. Write a letter to your friend about what you are planning to do.
1. Read and speak of what Mr Sorry and Mr Jolly say. Do as in the example.
Example: (play football)
Mr Jolly: I played football when I was young.
Mr Sorry: I've never played football.
✵ read books
✵ sing songs
✵ write stories
✵ go to Ukraine
✵ play snowballs
✵ ride a bicycle
✵ do parties
✵ learn French
✵ paint pictures
✵ meet a Ukrainian
✵ go skiing
✵ work hard
2. Say what you have learnt at your English lessons this year.
3. a) Read the letter and answer the questions below.
We're having a great time here in Australia! We've done some really exciting things! Yesterday we went shopping.
It was fantastic! We bought a lot of things!
Today, we are going to go to Sea World and look at the dolphins. We have got cameras and we'll take lots of photos. On Thursday, we are going to visit Brisbane Forest Park. We'll go on the Night Wildlife Tour». I can't wait. It sounds really exciting!
See you soon,
✵ Who's writing a letter?
✵ Where is he? What is he doing?
✵ What has he done?
✵ What did he do yesterday?
✵ What is he going to do today?
✵ What will he do there?
✵ What is he going to visit on Thursday?
✵ Where will he go?
b) Identify the tense forms of the verbs used in the letter above. Write out them into the columns of the table.
4. Read and answer the questions.
There are many big cities and beautiful towns in Ukraine. Each of them has its own ancient name. Some of the towns took their names after their founders or national heroes. Danylo of Halych gave his son's name Leo (Lev in Ukrainian) to the town of Lviv.
Other towns took their names after the names of their regions. Kharkiv, Uzhhorod, Luhans'k, Poltava grew on the rivers with the similar names.
✵ How did the Ukrainian cities and towns get their names?
✵ Who was the founder of Kyiv?
✵ What / who did your town or village take its name after?
5. Tell your partner what you are going / not going to do this summer.
This summer I'm going to…
I'm going to…
I'm not going to…
6. Discuss in a group.
✵ What places would you like to visit in summer? Why?
✵ Where are you going to spend your holidays?
✵ How long are you going to stay there?
✵ What are you going to do there?
✵ Which summer month will you spend with your parents?
✵ What plans have your friends got?
✵ What places would they like to see?
7. Design a new stamp for our country.
1. Think over some things which can be PROJECT symbols of Ukraine (storks (лелеки), guilder rose (калина), kozaks or some others).
2. Work in groups. Ask the members of your group what they think about each symbol.
3. Find or draw a picture of it. Make it the size of half a page.
4. Don't forget to write the name of your country in English.
5. Write the information in two sentences on the stamp.
Му Learning Diary
After the unit I can: (tick what is true for you)