Англійська мова 6 клас - Несвіт Алла
Unit 2. Shopping
Reading Lab: Jigsaw Reading
1. Work in three groups. Read the text and find the names of banknotes and coins of different countries in it.
1. In Ukraine people use hryvnias (UAH) and kopiykas (kop). The coins are 1 kopiyka, 2 kopiykas, 5 kopiykas, 10 kopiykas, 25 kopiykas and 50 kopiykas. There is also a one-hryvnia coin. All the coins are round. Every coin has the National Coat of Arms on one side of it.
Ukrainians use 1, 2, 5, 10, 20, 50, 100, 200 and 500-hryvnia banknotes. Every banknote has a portrait of a famous Ukrainian person on it.
2. In Great Britain people use pounds (£) and pence (p). The coins are 1 penny, 2 pence, 5 pence, 10 pence, 20 pence and 50 pence. There are also £1 and £2 coins. The coins are round. But two coins have got seven sides. The little coin with seven sides is the 20-pence coin and the big one with seven sides is the 50-pence coin. There is a portrait of the Queen of England on every coin. There are £5, £10, £20, and £50 banknotes.
3. In the USA people use dollars ($) and cents (c). American coins are sometimes called change. Each coin has its own name. A one cent coin is called a penny. A 5-cent coin is called a nickel. A 10-cent coin is called a dime. A 25-cent coin is a quarter. There are 1, 2, 5, 10, 20, 50 and 100-dollar banknotes in the USA. You can see a portrait of an American president on one side and a picture of a famous building on the other.
2. Speak in class. Share the information you have read in Ex. 1 with your class' mates.
3. Work in pairs. Complete and act out the dialogues.
Coins and Currency
1. A: How much is a penny worth?
B: A penny is worth one cent.
2. A: Soda costs seventy-five cents. Do you have enough change?
B: Yes. I have a/two/three ........ (5) and.....
3. A: I need to go to the supermarket. Do you have any cash?
B: Let me see. I have a twenty-dollar bill.
A: Twenty dollars is enough. Thanks.
4. Look at the pictures on page 47. Act out the dialogues as in the example.
A: How much is this notebook, please?
B: Two pounds. How many would you like?
A: I’ll take three, please.
B: How would you like to pay?
A: In cash. Here you are.
B: Thank you. Here’s your receipt and your change.
5. Work in pairs. Play a game “Buying Food and Getting Change”. Take turns to play the role of the shopper.
You have 200.00 hryvnias. Go shopping. Look at the pictures and say what you can buy, at what price and how much change you get.
6. Write where you went shopping yesterday, what you bought and how much it cost. Start like this:
I went shopping yesterday. I had a long shopping list. Etc.