Англійська мова 6 клас - Несвіт Алла
Unit 4. Sports and Games
1. Work in pairs. Talk with your friend about summer and winter sports. Use the questions below to help you.
1. What summer (winter) sports do you know?
2. What summer (winter) sports do you enjoy?
3. What games do children like to play?
4. What is your favourite sport or game?
5. Do you like to play games or do you like to watch them?
6. Why is sport so popular with children and grown-ups?
2. Look at the pictures. Talk about the children’s favourite sports.
Andriy goes in for boxing. He attends the Sports Centre. He trains in the gym three times a week.
Andriy boxing the Sports Centre three times a week
Maryna swimming a swimming pool twice a week
Oleksandr to do karate the Sports Club twice a week
Yana to play badminton the school gym once a week
3. Read and act out the dialogue.
A: Have you ever played tennis in your life?
B: Yes, I have. I played tennis last summer.
A: Did you like it?
B: It was OK, but I didn’t enjoy the weather very much! It was too hot!
A: Do you attend the tennis club now?
B: No, I don’t, but I am going to join it.
4. Work in groups of four. Write a list of kinds of sport on a sheet of paper. One person thinks of a sport and the others have to guess which sport it is.
B: Is it a team game?
A: No, it isn’t.
C: Do you use a ball?
A: No, I don’t.
D: Do you compete with others?
A: Yes, I do.
B: Is it a water sport?
A: Yes, it is.
C: Is it yachting?
A: Yes, it is. It is yachting.
5. Speak in class. Use the table below to give advice to your classmates.
If you want to play football well, you should do exercise to stretch your legs.
Football: to do exercise
Tennis: to do exercise
Have good sports results: to eat healthy food
Running: wear comfortable shoes
to stretch legs
to relax arms
to give you energy not
to injure your feet
6. Read and act out the situations.
1. Say what sport (game) you enjoy most, why you are fond of it, which season is good for it, what kinds of games you can’t play yet, but would like to learn.
2. Your friend took part in a school basketball competition yesterday. The team won the game. Ask your friend questions to know how long they trained to become the winners, where their trainings were held and who their coach was.
7. Write a paragraph for a school newspaper about your favourite kind of sport.
A: I think running is a wonderful sport. We can run all year round. We can run everywhere: in the yard, in the park, in the sportsground or at the stadium. We can go jogging in the morning and in the evening. Running makes us strong and healthy.
Running is good exercise for everyone. It is popular with people of different ages. I started running two years ago. I train with my father every morning. It’s fun!
B: Basketball is my favourite sport. It is a team game. There are five players in each team. The objective is to shoot a ball through a basket of another team. The team with the most points at the end of the game wins. You can practise basketball in the gym or on the sportsground.
Basketball is one of the world’s most popular sports. Many basketball fans watch the games on TV.