Англійська мова 6 клас - Несвіт Алла
Unit 6. Great Britain: London
1. a) Listen and repeat. Which of these places have you read about?
• Trafalgar Square • Tower Bridge • Buckingham Palace • St. Paul’s Cathedral • Nelson’s Column • the London Eye • the Globe Theatre • the Houses of Parliament and Big Ben • Madame Tussauds Museum •
b) Look at the photos. Which is a palace? a bridge? a cathedral? a theatre? a park? Match them to the list of landmarks in Ex. 1a. Where can you see these places of interest?
There is a bridge in Photo 1. There are no other bridges in the photos. I think it’s Tower Bridge.
2. Listen and read. Which of the places in Ex. 1 on page 120 have the children mentioned in their stories?
Jane: Hello! I’m Jane. I was born in London, the capital of the UK. It is also the capital of England.
My native city is beautiful. It is full of cinemas, theatres, museums and art galleries. Tourists come here to visit Buckingham Palace, St. Paul’s Cathedral, Tower Bridge and many other places of interest.
Tom: Hi! I’m Tom. I’m in London with my family. It’s a great city with beautiful parks and gardens. We have been to Regent’s Park recently. It is in the northern part of the city. This is the place where London Zoo is. People can also play sports here: tennis, netball, athletics, cricket, softball, football and rugby. In addition, there are three playgrounds for children, each with an attendant, and there is boating on the main lake.
3. Ask and answer the questions.
1. Where are the children?
2. What are they doing there?
3. Which places of interest have they visited?
4. Close your books. Listen to the children again. Say three things you remember about London.
5. Read and complete the sentences. Use the adjectives from the box given below.
exciting • lovely • wonderful • interesting • amazing • historical • beautiful • nice • famous •
1. London is .. for its parks and gardens.
2. You can learn many. things while visiting places of interest in London.
3. Madame Tussauds Museum can tell you a lot of .... stories about the people of the UK.
4. There are many ...... tours around London. The best way to travel is by double-decker.
5. You can spend a few days in London. Your time there will be full of... trips and impressions.
6. We were in London last summer. We had a lot of excursions and a boat trip along the Thames River. We saw Big Ben.
6. Read and act out the situation.
Pupil A. You are in London. Now you’re talking with your friend via Skype. Read your role card and be ready to answer the questions.
You’re in London for a week. You’re interested in history, so you want to see famous museums.
You have been to the Tower of London and had a walk along Tower Bridge.
You have seen Nelson’s Column in Trafalgar Square.
You’re going to Madame Tussauds Museum tomorrow. You want to take photos with the British kings and queens.
Pupil B: One of your friends is in London now. You’re talking with him / her via Skype. Ask questions to get more information about his / her trip.
7. Write sentences about the places in Ex. 1 on page 120. Use the adjectives and the examples given below.
A: Tower Bridge is in London. It is a busy and vital crossing of the Thames River. It is the only Thames bridge which opens. You can have a nice walk along it. You can also enjoy the view of the city from it.
B: Big Ben is the name of the clock in the clock tower of the Houses of Parliament. It weights more than 14 tons. It is a famous symbol of London.